2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Left Knee Injury (3/3 hikes), Injured 3/3 Times.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
username0021 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 9:51 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i have climbed 3 mountains, and in all of those events, i injured my left knee.

1st climb, knee injury after 6 hours of walking
2nd climb, knee injury after 4 hours of walking
3rd climb, knee injury after 3 hours of walking

i went to doctor, he said im new to hiking that's why im experiencing this pain, he just gave me anti-inflammation medicine. my knee would be back to normal after 3-4 days.

on my 3rd climb, i wore knee pads, no luck.

is it because im lifting heavy bag? its only 32 liter bag.

or maybe because i did not train with heavy bag, thus my knees cant take the added weight?

what do you guys think, is this normal or not?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is it just pain or did the doctor check for structural damage?  Sounds like it's getting better.  A lot of folks here train with their packs on.  Might look odd to the neighbors...

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i havent trained with backpack on.

also, i did ask the doctor if he need to check my leg, xray or something, he said no, its just simple pain , and anti inflammation medicine will do the work.

but the main problem is, every hike i go, i get injured, i cant live with this, its like slowing down the whole team just because i got injured.  :angry:
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Find a doctor who will actually discuss with you what you are doing and why you are coming back with knee pain.  You may need to do PT to strengthen muscles around your knee, or you may need orthotics to correct some kind of alignment problem.  But even for new hikers, inflammation after every hike isn't normal (unless maybe you are over 60 and have never been fit).  Even if the problem is that you've started out too fast, that should be discussed and addressed, not ignored.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would be concerned that it seems to be happening quicker each time.  I would be asking for my knee to be examined by an orthopedic surgeon, because they know how to do the physical exam manually to see if the knee is damaged.

If there is nothing wrong with the knee, then I would agree that exercises are called for. Find a Physical Therapist who can help you with choosing which exercises would help the most.  After my last knee inflammation, mine recommended I stand one step up on a set of stairs, face downhill, and touch one foot to the lower floor, then without putting any weight on the floor, return to the step above.  Kind of like a dance move, putting one foot out and then taking it back.  Alternate feet with this exercise and do enough reps that you can feel it in your muscles.  Still, I would not do this without professional medical advice.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Sep. 02 2013, 1:54 pm)
I would be concerned that it seems to be happening quicker each time.  

Man, I got that completely backwards.  Sorry.  Get a second opinion.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Sep. 02 2013, 1:02 pm)
Even if the problem is that you've started out too fast, that should be discussed and addressed, not ignored.

My bet would be this, and that his(her?) doc is probably doing the appropriate thing in treating with RICE, especially if the pain is resolving within a few days. With that kind of symptom onset and duration, imaging isn't highly unlikely to show anything

I'll also echo the idea of finding a PT who can walk you through specific knee/leg strengthening exercises to improve joint stability, especially if your climbs are involving significant elevation change.
 Post Number: 8
Bohan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder how much your pack weighs. Maybe you put heavier than average stuff in it. Either way you have to train with the backpack on.
 Post Number: 9
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How old are you?

How much elevation did you gain while hiking.  How long were you hiking? Did it begin hurting while going down hill?

Are you normally an active person? Or just a weekend warrior?

Does the pain go away completely in 3-4 days using ice and over the counter drugs.

Do you get the pain while hiking or that evening or next morning?

Is the pain mostly in the same place every time? Such as on outside (left side -toward the back) of knee right at the juncture of the lower and upper leg.

Do you train by jog/walk?  Look here under CARDIO EXERCISE for some entry level training guidelines.

http://exrx.net/Beginning.html

Do you get pain hiking normally - without a bag?
Can you walk fast on city streets/walk ways for four-five hours without pain? (only carry water and snacks)

What kind of foot wear do you hike with?

Did you discuss all of above when you saw your physician?  (Was it an MD?)

Doc should be able to determine if it is muscle, tendon or joint problem.  
Don't carry a (heavy) pack until you are able to hike all day pain free.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 7:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How old are you?

How much elevation did you gain while hiking.  How long were you hiking? Did it begin hurting while going down hill?

--these are my climbs:

1st climb : Traverse, so hard! coz im beginner, really exhausted
total hike time = 8 hours
pain began when going downhill, after like 3 hours of going downhill, so it was like pain began after hiking for 6 hours total
http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/2008....15.html

2nd climb: this was easy climb, i didnt get exhausted much, but because of the injury, it took some time
total hike time = 13 hours
pain began going uphill, after like hiking for 4 hours uphill
http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/2007/09/mt-pulag-2922.html

3rd climb : new trail to old trail, easy climb, but some parts are like so narrow, maybe like 1 foot wide path, one misstep will result falling down 200-300 feet below
total hike time = 6 hours only
pain began when going uphill, after like 3 hours of hiking
http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/2007/08/mt-batulao-811.html

i just train like few days before going to hike. yea i know, im not training enough.  :(

Does the pain go away completely in 3-4 days using ice and over the counter drugs.
i didnt use ice, only the anti inflammation medicine, and yea, pain completely goes away after like 3-5 days.

Do you get the pain while hiking or that evening or next morning?
- 1st climb, dayhike, that day got pain
- 2nd climb, 2 days hike, 1st day i started feeling the pain
- 3rd climb, dayhike, that day got pain

Is the pain mostly in the same place every time? Such as on outside (left side -toward the back) of knee right at the juncture of the lower and upper leg.
- yes same place, left knee only, at the left side, this pic shows the area.

http://imageshack.us

Do you train by jog/walk?  Look here under CARDIO EXERCISE for some entry level training guidelines.
- walk first, then jog, then run.

Do you get pain hiking normally - without a bag?
- i haven't tried and i don't like hiking without carrying my own bag.

Can you walk fast on city streets/walk ways for four-five hours without pain? (only carry water and snacks)
- easily, but may get exhausted.

What kind of foot wear do you hike with?
- cheap $40 hiking shoes

- MD?

- in all these hikes, i used only 32liter bag, im not sure how many it weighed when i hiked, but it was full, with clothes, some food, empty bag itself was heavy already.

Post Number: 11
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(username0021 @ Sep. 03 2013, 7:54 pm)
How old are you?

i just train like few days before going to hike. yea i know, im not training enough.  :(

i didnt use ice, only the anti inflammation medicine, and yea, pain completely goes away after like 3-5 days.

- yes same place, left knee only, at the left side, this pic shows the area.

http://imageshack.us

- MD?

This really makes me think of an iliotibial etiology for the problem, but I'll defer to whatever diagnosis your physician is giving you. If it's a lateral tendonitis, focusing on exercises to strengthen your medial thighs and stretching the outside muscles/fascia of your leg may help.

MD or DO are the terminal degrees for a physician here in the United States.
10 replies since Sep. 02 2013, 9:51 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Left Knee Injury (3/3 hikes)
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions