2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: My wake up call from gym to trail!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Mudslide1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 8:10 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, Ive never been one to spend more time at the gym instead of hiking to stay fit, but this year so far has had me doing more incline treadmill and stair machine than usual due to work schedule.
Here's the scoop-Went backpacking this weekend and even being in the best shape of my life, hurt worse (sore and pulled calf muscle) from hiking than I ever have! I mean even when I just used to go out and just walk at the park a couple times a week, It seems I was better fit for wilderness trekking. The ONLY advantage was a shorter recovery time from climbing hills due to the cardio, but thats it.
Bottom line- listen to the general consensus. If you're not hiking to stay in hiking shape...you are not in hiking shape. :p
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dare I say it (and y'all know it's personal experience talking): this gets more true as you age.  Though I did prove at age 27 that being a gnarly biker who hadn't done much hiking in months was a good recipe for pain.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
mocamper1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry to hear that.  But I had the exact opposite experience.

I have spent a lot of time this summer at the gym doing strength training focusing on functional strength. The first real hike I went on this was extremely more enjoyable because I was in shape.  My legs, back, and core were strong. My lungs were in shape, and I had no problems on the trail despite hauling my 30lbs daughter in a child carrier for 7 miles.  

I think the consensus is that functional training translates into better trail performance.  Reconsider your gym routine, and I'm sure you will have a much better experience on the trail.  Look at Mountain Athlete for more information.

--------------
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"
 Post Number: 4
TheBeef Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I found this out a few years ago as well. I was running trail 50k's, but found even that didn't really translate into carrying a pack. In fact, I found that some of the muscles I really needed to carry the pack were the ones I'd run off in my training.
 Post Number: 5
gorgescrambler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 8:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have been doing an aggressive bootcamp 3 times a week at the local Y for 3 years now. It has transformed my stamina and total body strength. Also took up muni riding about a year ago(unicycling on mtn bike trails) 3 to 4 times a week and that has really ramped up my endurance,balance,leg strength.
Hiking and mtn biking have become much more fun just because of the fitness level achieved.
 Post Number: 6
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hill repeats minimum of once a week, 25 lb. pack, 1.5 to 3 hours, does me a lot of good. Hill is a mere 100' vertical -- choice of moderate slope ascent or stairs -- and features sweeping views of Lake Michigan (motivating). I typically time the workout for evening light. Also gym and core work, wobble board.
5 replies since Sep. 15 2013, 8:10 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply My wake up call from gym to trail!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions