2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Bike Commuting to keep in shape< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
CarFree Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 8:37 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I live in Arizona and moved here a few years ago from Massachusetts. I love backpacking, fishing, long distance cycling, and learning primitive/off-grid skills.

Bicycle commuting to work is and excellent way to keep in shape for hiking as well as saving you lots of money on fuel and expensive car repairs.

With bike commuting you don't have to schedule time for a workout or going to the gym. A workout is part of your normal daily routine.

When I moved to Arizona I got rid of my pickup truck because Phoenix has good public transport and flat terrain making for easy cycling. No more insurance, fuiel cost worries, and worries about 500 dollar repair bills.

I dropped form 220 pounds to 185 without dieting as well as dropping blood pressure and pulse

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

CarFree, all of that is certainly true about using the bike for transport.  Just be sure to train on foot, too, or the trail may hurt (see my comment in the gym to trail thread).

I haul most of our groceries on my bike, though the car is necessary for the Costco run :)

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Mudslide1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

".......And flat terrain" This is what will get ya, right here. Like what was said above, just be sure to train on foot too though. I DO wish I could ride a bike to work, but would wind up a hood ornament round here :)
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, if you have a means of taking a shower before starting work.  Otherwise you will smell like you just came from the gym.
 Post Number: 5
CarFree Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 12:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On the weekends I do train on foot.  Today I rode up to Agua Fria National monument and hiked in.   A day hike plus a 100 mile round trip bike ride.

The weather was spectacular.

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 6
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 8:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I now ride my bike to the train station, 3 miles. Take train to city, 1.5 hours. Walk from Penn Station to my building, 30 minute speed walk.  Then I do it again to go home, but opposite direction of course.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
author unknown
5 replies since Sep. 20 2013, 8:37 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Bike Commuting to keep in shape
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions