2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pedalling Cadence< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
CarFree Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 11:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is your preferred pedalling cadence in bicycling?   I like to hover around 60-80 rpm with a heel drop and foot push between the 1 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions.

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

80-90

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

60-80.

Starting about 2 years ago, arthritis in knees got bad enough to prevent me from standing on pedals......so, my only option for real steep grades (g.t. 13-14%)  is  granny-granny-gear and a cadence probably closer to 100.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just started riding a recumbent trike because of arthritis in my hips and knees.  My cadence is 50 to 60 on levels and 80 to 90 on the hills.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What techniques do you prefer?  Dropping the heel with a toe push, utilizing the calf muscles, or just a straight toe push on the downstroke?

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 6
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 9:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CarFree @ Nov. 06 2013, 7:33 pm)
What techniques do you prefer?  Dropping the heel with a toe push, utilizing the calf muscles, or just a straight toe push on the downstroke?

When trying to stay up with my faster buddies,  I use clip-ins on my carbon fiber, and try to do a push/pull stroke.

But, when doing a longer, fun ride (we did about 120 miles in the West Texas Davis Mountains last weekend) ....I wear comfortable hiking boots, and do an old timey push-down on an flat-pedal equipped aluminum bike.

I look a little weird, but my feet (and legs) feel a lot better afterwards.

No problems climbing the grades, including the 17% grade up Mt. Locke behind the McDonald Observatory.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm probably in the 60-80 range, and trying to speed it up just a tad.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Nov. 06 2013, 8:35 am)
80-90

Hills are 40-70... depending on the hill. On the short steeps, I try to keep the cadence as high as possible in a moderately low gear to give me a "cushion" in case I misjudged the hill or I begin to struggle. On the gradual longs, I like to grind it out at a lower cadence in a higher gear.

On the very short hills or rollers, I sometimes will just keep it in the same gear I've been riding the flats, and aggressively attack the hill by getting out of the saddle and basically sprinting up it... conserving as much momentum as possible. But it's comical (and painful) when I misjudge.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

70-80 on the flats.  Around 90 when I'm pushing it, but not for long.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 10
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you have a computer that tells you cadence? I don't. Most of the time I would rather be in a higher gear with lower cadence. Hills are another story, I just want to get up them. It depends on the steepness, the hill I live on, I just use my lowest gear and struggle up at about 4mph. Shorter hills, I sometimes power up. If I am on flat roads I am in highest gear or close to it and downshift as needed for hills.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't have a computer.   I primarily gauge by the feel of the resistance.  If I encounter minimal resistance with the push I feel I am spinning and wasting energy and gear up accordingly.   I have a range of resistance that I attempt to stay in while pedalling.

--------------

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2013, 11:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a good video about pedalling efficiency:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z04uoO7U_SA

--------------

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 13
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OnO, my computer doesn't have cadence, so I've gotten my sense of what I'm doing by actually counting it out while the clock is running.  I've got a pretty good feel for it now, but it's easy for me to slide back to a slower cadence.  

I like to keep it faster, with less resistance--less strain on knees etc., and more space to go when the going gets rough.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

80-90. Spining, heals flat. Ankeling to accelerate.  Have always spun a lower gear, still able to out accelertate young peddle mashers in their high gears ( they get a better work out by ruining their knees). And thr tri guys still seem to try to run on their pedals. Never understood that.

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 15
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice video but I pedal in running shoes on platform pedals. When I have my feet on pedals, my feet are half off the pedal to the outside and my foot is in contact closer to the arch than the forefoot. I don't want to go clipless and force my foot in and back. I may try some clips though. I will also concentrate on picking up my cadence by shifting down a gear. I was on a stationary bike yesterday and did count and the computer told me my cadence was 65-75.
 Post Number: 16
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oldnolder @ Nov. 12 2013, 8:53 am)
Nice video but I pedal in running shoes on platform pedals. When I have my feet on pedals, my feet are half off the pedal to the outside and my foot is in contact closer to the arch than the forefoot. I don't want to go clipless and force my foot in and back. I may try some clips though. I will also concentrate on picking up my cadence by shifting down a gear. I was on a stationary bike yesterday and did count and the computer told me my cadence was 65-75.

I use pedal extensions to allow me to keep my feet spread further apart, or in the case of my right foot, to accommodate the slight outward turn of my foot.  Amazon sells them but I bought them locally for about the same price.  I also put a pair on my recumbent exercise cycle as well as they trike.  http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Pedal-Extenders-Crank-27-5mm/dp/B000QDGJVU
15 replies since Nov. 05 2013, 11:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pedalling Cadence
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions