2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Road Biking, The Good, Bad & Ugly< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 9:58 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What actions annoy you...or please you...when you are riding either as a single or with groups on the road?

Either from other cyclists, motorcyclists, cars, trucks, joggers, etc.?

One annoyance of mine is the cyclist in middle of a pack who suddenly stops pedaling and stands up in the saddle without warning (caused my first trip to the emergency room).  

A plaudit to the cyclists in front who call out road hazards.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hate it when a car behind you refuses to pass you even when they have plenty of room.  I know they are generally just being cautious, but it's a bit unnerving to have them constantly on your tail.

However, the most unsettling thing  for me is the snobbish attitude of many "roadies".  If you don't have a $4000.000 bicycle and can't ride a century in less than 5 hours, they haven't got the time of day for you.  I find a totally different attitude, much more easy going and accepting, among mtn bikers, commuters and tourers. Still, I love to ride my road bike.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I seldom if ever ride with others, though recently I've been riding some with my husband.  What bugs me there is that he goes and leaves me in the dust when climbing hills.  Blast him for being so much stronger than I am, anyway!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just had an "almost" this afternoon.

Riding on a hike/bike trail, with signs that say "All Pets on Leash".

Met a couple (walking), who flagged me down;

"Be aware, there's a guy back there with a dog off leash, and it came at us quick and hard".

I hesitated, then continued to ride, preparing to stop/turn-around.

Shortly after, I saw them, I slowed to almost a stop;  man put his dog on leash, it behaved OK when we met, so no issue this time, I smiled "remember, dogs on leash, please, there are deer around here".

But...to summarize my gripe:  Pls obey "Pets on Leash"   (even if no other humans around).

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 5
skolbe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cold weather is what annoys me when it comes to cycling. The rest is some motorist that are jerks. I like road biking. I like to tour and I like to go fast when appropriate.
 Post Number: 6
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(skolbe @ Nov. 07 2013, 7:48 pm)
Cold weather is what annoys me when it comes to cycling. The rest is some motorist that are jerks. I like road biking. I like to tour and I like to go fast when appropriate.

That pretty well sums it up.  It doesn't get that cold here, but once you're down even in the low 50s, my feet get cold enough to limit how long I can ride.

Need to go set straddle my bike and head to he gym for my swim.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 7
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dislike the drivers who are jerks. I have been along the edge and been passed so close, I swear I could reach out and touch the vehicle. Also dislike the ppl on a mup that walk or ride in a group and don't know enough to move to let others by.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 07 2013, 4:01 pm)
I seldom if ever ride with others, though recently I've been riding some with my husband.  What bugs me there is that he goes and leaves me in the dust when climbing hills.  Blast him for being so much stronger than I am, anyway!

On hot summer evenings, I sometimes don a helmet light, and ride out about dusk on a nearby hike/bike trail.

Once I overtook a young woman who had a flat, 2-3 miles down the trail.  She said she had been on the trailside for about an hour.

Her husband and his friend had dropped her just before she flatted.

It was getting dark, mosquitoes were beginning to buzz, she was clearly getting scared, and was understandably not 100% confident the old guy fixing her flat (me) was not a serial killer.

Just as I was finishing, her husband and friend rode up.  (it was an out-and-back trail;  they had cycled all the way to the end of the trail without checking on her).

I expected her to rip him a new one, but she was clearly intimidated by him; he was annoyed at her for having a flat.  it was obvious the least of her problems was her tire. I left feeling sorry for her.  

(Not at all the situation you described, I get left in the dust by my friends too, but I could not help but remember that event).

Riding your bike to go to the gym for a swim, you go, Lady!!!!

--------------
 Post Number: 9
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oldnolder @ Nov. 08 2013, 4:33 pm)
. I have been along the edge and been passed so close, I swear I could reach out and touch the vehicle.

Jeeze, that's so common around here that it hardly bears mentioning.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 10
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer, we have a 4' law in Pa. I don't know how it would be enforced though. It still angers me, esp. when you can tell it's on purpose.
 Post Number: 11
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sure most people around here have no idea that the 4' law even exists.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 12
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2013, 10:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Old Frank @ Nov. 08 2013, 5:08 pm)

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 07 2013, 4:01 pm)

On hot summer evenings, I sometimes don a helmet light, and ride out about dusk on a nearby hike/bike trail.

Once I overtook a young woman who had a flat, 2-3 miles down the trail.  She said she had been on the trailside for about an hour.

Her husband and his friend had dropped her just before she flatted.

It was getting dark, mosquitoes were beginning to buzz, she was clearly getting scared, and was understandably not 100% confident the old guy fixing her flat (me) was not a serial killer.

Just as I was finishing, her husband and friend rode up.  (it was an out-and-back trail;  they had cycled all the way to the end of the trail without checking on her).

I expected her to rip him a new one, but she was clearly intimidated by him; he was annoyed at her for having a flat.  it was obvious the least of her problems was her tire. I left feeling sorry for her.  

(Not at all the situation you described, I get left in the dust by my friends too, but I could not help but remember that event).

Riding your bike to go to the gym for a swim, you go, Lady!!!!

She not only needs a new man, she ends to learn how to do basic maintenance like changing a flat.

I am probably better at mechanics than my husband so at least don't have that worry.  Tonight I urged him to ride ahead and not wait, as we misjudged sunset and he had no lights.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
11 replies since Nov. 07 2013, 9:58 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Road Biking
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions