2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 912345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 2014 fitness updates, Might as well start a new one...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 12:19 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I started 2014 by registering for the Megatransect again.  The Mega is a marathon distance trail race with lots of vertical gain and loss and plenty of technical  trail.  Hopefully my ankle will finally heal up so that I can do better this year.  

Right now it is snowing and I'm going to get the pork roast in the oven and go for a cross country ski.

Happy New Year everyone!

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am doing 100 miles a week on my bike, so I want to continue riding this year.  Maybe get up to 140 miles per week.  I only ride 3 days.  The others I do yoga, and am doing some kayaking.   My BP'ing plans took a hit when my buddy canceled out of our trip to the Grand Canyon, but there are lots of opportunities for other activity.  I'll put more miles on my paddles, spend more nights in the bag, this year than last.  

Maybe I will drop some weight, but more important, I will try to reshape what is here.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Missed my 2013 weight goal by 3 lbs, I'll just roll it into my goal of another 25 pounds before my March trip to Big Bend.  Made my goal of walking 25 miles a week, got 3 people at work to join me in spending our lunch hour walking 3 miles at a nearby city park.

One of my longer term goals is to be in good enough shape to do one of the hikes at Pickle Gulch this year instead of sitting around the camp all day.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 4
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 7:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Chuck D:   Congrats not only for the mileage, but especially for getting others to join you, and let us know if you do the S. Rim loop at BB.

Ol Zeke, I like the 100 mile-per-week round number, it makes the math ez for tracking progress....and good on you for upping  your goal to 140.

I did 4,800 in 2013, down from 5,700 in 2012, and I am trying to convince myself the decline  has nothing to do with old age.

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 5
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have done nothing but lift weights for the last 5 weeks with a little yoga. I did ride over 900 miles this year which is about a 100 mile increase. I would like to get over 1000 next year, as well as more paddling, more walking, and more bag nights. I think I may need more hours, too.
 Post Number: 6
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 9:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Talus. @ Jan. 01 2014, 12:19 pm)
Well, I started 2014 by registering for the Megatransect again.  The Mega is a marathon distance trail race with lots of vertical gain and loss and plenty of technical  trail.

Me, too! A lack of long-term memory is a wonderful thing.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 7
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I want to play! Even though it looks like I am way out of my league compared to you guys. But maybe I can tell you what I can do and you guys can help me set some goals or something.

I'll start out saying that I'm a dog walker. At this time I have 2 regular clients, so I walk a solid half hour with each of them. Today I'll try to go as fast as I can with the lab and see how far I can go. The Shepherds are uncooperative and so that will be walking. And then I often get random last minute jobs on top of those.

My beach cruiser was stolen and somebody blessed me with a 10 speed to replace it. I have ridden it and it rides nicely but I have no clue on the gears, also how do you track mileage? I could probably find a phone app. But I remember a friend had a little device on the handlebars. Should I get one? Are they expensive? The bike is an older huffy. Would the gadget be worth more than the bike, lol?

I have a sit on top kayak that I'm able to use 1-2 times month.

As far as my fitness - well, I guess I'm not - I solo hiked Mt Whitney in September and I did reach the summit, but the 11 mile second day took me ALL DAY. I came back down to my car by headlamp at 10 PM. I remember sitting at the top thinking I could probably do harder, but I definitely could not go faster. I wanted to hike Shasta this year but after reading about it I'm a little freaked out.

I will find a 5K to sign up for in the next two weeks. My last one was 4th of July and my time was 40 mins and 15 seconds.

Weight is a factor. I am 5'5" and weigh 189.2. Think I might shoot for 10 lbs at a time or maybe 10%? I don't know. I just need some sort of routine. I'm open for suggestions if you have any :)

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 8
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My 'gadget' was about $30, I think.  I bought it long ago.  I seldom use it now.  I use trek see to plot my route, and it has proven to be as accurate as either my gadget or the car odometer.  I now have 2 routes I ride consistently.  

Weight. It is something we all deal with, in our own way.  Most of what we want to shed is not muscle, but as we get firmer and the muscle takes on more definition, it weighs more than what it replaces.  Molding what I have into something more appealing is my goal.  If I happen to drop 10-15 pounds along the way, so be it.  I am shooting for a pound or 2 a month.  Your own goals should be ones that will be achievable, yet keep you focused.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SWest @ Jan. 02 2014, 11:54 am)
I want to play! Even though it looks like I am way out of my league compared to you guys. But maybe I can tell you what I can do and you guys can help me set some goals or something.

I'll start out saying that I'm a dog walker. At this time I have 2 regular clients, so I walk a solid half hour with each of them. Today I'll try to go as fast as I can with the lab and see how far I can go. The Shepherds are uncooperative and so that will be walking. And then I often get random last minute jobs on top of those.

My beach cruiser was stolen and somebody blessed me with a 10 speed to replace it. I have ridden it and it rides nicely but I have no clue on the gears, also how do you track mileage? I could probably find a phone app. But I remember a friend had a little device on the handlebars. Should I get one? Are they expensive? The bike is an older huffy. Would the gadget be worth more than the bike, lol?

I have a sit on top kayak that I'm able to use 1-2 times month.

As far as my fitness - well, I guess I'm not - I solo hiked Mt Whitney in September and I did reach the summit, but the 11 mile second day took me ALL DAY. I came back down to my car by headlamp at 10 PM. I remember sitting at the top thinking I could probably do harder, but I definitely could not go faster. I wanted to hike Shasta this year but after reading about it I'm a little freaked out.

I will find a 5K to sign up for in the next two weeks. My last one was 4th of July and my time was 40 mins and 15 seconds.

Weight is a factor. I am 5'5" and weigh 189.2. Think I might shoot for 10 lbs at a time or maybe 10%? I don't know. I just need some sort of routine. I'm open for suggestions if you have any :)

You've impressed me already.  Physical feat-wise, plus your attitude.

I will only address your bike mileage question.

Ol Zeke mentioned his annual bike mileage goal.  I think it really helps to follow his example; set a goal and keep a log to track your progress.

I hesitate to promote WalMart, but they sell a bike odometer that's been dependable for me, costs about 25-30 dollars.  Make sure you get the wireless model.

You can also download a free STRAVA application to your cell phone to track your progress  (just remember to turn the ap off when you finish each ride).

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 10
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Happy new year!

Don't really have any specific goals this year.  I set a lot of goals last year and hit pretty good I think, might have pushed myself a bit too much actually. I really wanted to do my first ultramarathon this year, but after crashing pretty hard after my marathon last year I think I'll just shoot for another marathon, and not attempt longer until I dont crash and burn so hard after. Of course maybe with a longer race I might not push so hard, I always get to caught up in the race. But still 10k & 1/2 marathon are my favorite distances.

I started out the new year with a dreadmill run. In the 20's and snowing and blowing, just didnt want tot go out in that. I'd rather go out in single digits if it was calm and sunny. So hopped on my rarely used treadmill and did 6.5 miles. While I hate running on it, it was nice to run without a pack, gps, jacket, or even shirt. And worked up a good sweat which I havent done in months. It did feel good.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2014, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Turning 73 this month.  Biking 73 miles on my birthday, or on a nice weather day close to the 25th.

I posted this goal earlier, but my spine has been weakening a bit, so I'm repeating it to keep the pressure on myself to not back out.  

It's tough when you have to trash-talk to yourself.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2014, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I belong to a local gym and had been “screwing around” in the weight room for past 6-months, not really knowing what I was doing.  I had already lost all the fat I wanted (30 pounds) eating a Primal diet, but I wanted to gain muscle.  I had hit all the machines in the gym, doing what everyone else was doing, but I wasn't seeing too much in the way of gains.

Most of the really big guys in there never seemed to use the machines and always used free weights, grunting loudly when they lifted, so I asked one of them for advice and was told of the theory of progressive resistance in a linear form, periodization and using large muscle groups.  It meant starting with mastering basic form, doing high repetitions and low weights, then moving to lower repetitions and heavier weights (then repeating) all over a set time period.  The machines mainly target specific muscles.

It was all kind of complex sounding until I found this which contained explanations, videos and instruction.

I have just completed the 12-week program and am re-doing the entire thing again.  While I don't look like the monsters in my gym yet, I have gained muscle size and definition that I wasn't able to accomplish just screwing around on my own.

If your goals are gaining muscle, do any of you do a similar “scripted” program, or do you just do your own thing at the gym?

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 13
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2014, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do not know if it is a fitness thing or not, but I am trying to get into a triathlon this year. It will be my first, so I am just going to do the bike part and have others do the swim and run. I would really like to do one all by myself.

Anyone have any advice? Right now it seems overwhelming.
 Post Number: 14
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2014, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jeff, I think if you google beginer trathalon training you should get some programs that would help.
 Post Number: 15
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2014, 7:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I finally found the one that I was looking for for training.

Any thoughts or help on the transition process? I think that is what has me nervous. Got some cold weather clothes so that I can train sooner.
 Post Number: 16
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2014, 9:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Happy New Year, everyone!

Chuck, that is awesome! Can't wait to see you in Sept. :)

SWest, what you're doing is great! Keep it up! For bicycle tracking, I use MapMyRide. You can get a free app for your phone and it will show your mileage. :)
 Post Number: 17
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2014, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great job, you guys.  Keep up the good work.  

Yes, looking forward to seeing whatever is left of you Chuck and Ol-zeke, at Pickle Gulch, or before.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 18
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2014, 1:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll play!  I got off to a slow start, with foot surgery in January, but managed to log over 2100 miles on my bikes, ran about 237, and swam 68.2 miles.  That was in addition to hiking--in July I logged essentially nothing but hikes, but I hiked every day, anything from 2 to 13 miles  with and without packs.  I think I ended the year a few pounds lighter than I started it, but still five pounds less than I started the summer.

During our holidays in Seattle I ran every day except two (hiked one day and swam one day), the most I have done in years, and without excessive pain from my hips nor feet.

I'm torn about goals.  On the one hand, I want to ride the Wildflower Century again at the end of April.  On the other, I want to focus some on running, to maximize my readiness for some serious hiking in June and July.  Ideally I do both, while somehow also continuing to swim a couple of times a week (one will do, if need be, just to keep my hand in).  

I'd like to do a tri, but with us gone all summer hiking, it's not super likely this year.  Maybe if I could do one before we leave, say late May.  

In all honesty, my main goal is just to keep moving, and not turn into my paternal grandmother, who was pretty much spherical.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 19
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2014, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Goal #1 reached, sure was nice to see a 2 as the first digit of my weight, down 25 since Nov.1 and 38 lbs since last July.

I do sometime feel that I am personally supporting the brocolli and cauliflower farmers of America.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 20
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2014, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great work, Chuck. And someone has to support those farmers.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 21
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2014, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats, Chuck!  If I was eating that much broccoli, I would be contributing to the global warming more than the cows I had stopped eating.  

--------------

Post Number: 22
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2014, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's so awesome Chuck!

I did get a little tracker and when I pulled out the bike to install it the back tire was absolutely flat. I took it to the shop and they are fixing it for $15. I should probably learn to do that myself though, so I made that an end of quarter goal. I set my miles goal for 20 miles a week (gotta start somewhere). This week I'll have to get it all in at the end since the bike won't be ready till tomorrow. Maybe I'll do map my ride too and compare the results.

I found a 5K for Feb 9th. In February I'll add a running mileage goal. I joined a local hiking group and went on a 10.5 mile hike with them last Saturday. They were fast, uncomfortably fast. I'll get there.

Diet goals are hard. I switched back to a vegetarian diet at New Years. My goal is to eat at least one fruit and one vegetable per day. I was also a horrible soda drinker but with not getting fast food for lunch (because It's mostly meat choices anyway) I went three days without soda by default. Still drinking coffee - got lots of Starbucks cards and Keurig cups for Christmas. Working on it.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 23
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SWest, nothing wrong with coffee!  And if going vegetarian keeps you away from fast food and soda, it has to help.  But I have to admit I've found I do better with meat--my body runs through carbs in a hurry, and I end up hungry.

Definitely learn to change a tire.  It's really very easy. (Note to self: my boys need a lesson on fixing a flat).

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 24
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, I will miss a week of biking.  Off to do some of this.  See you again next Wed

--------------

Post Number: 25
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ahh.  Have fun, Zeke!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2014, 7:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SWest @ Jan. 07 2014, 11:55 pm)
That's so awesome Chuck!

I did get a little tracker and when I pulled out the bike to install it the back tire was absolutely flat. I took it to the shop and they are fixing it for $15. I should probably learn to do that myself though, so I made that an end of quarter goal. I set my miles goal for 20 miles a week (gotta start somewhere). This week I'll have to get it all in at the end since the bike won't be ready till tomorrow. Maybe I'll do map my ride too and compare the results.

I found a 5K for Feb 9th. In February I'll add a running mileage goal. I joined a local hiking group and went on a 10.5 mile hike with them last Saturday. They were fast, uncomfortably fast. I'll get there.

Diet goals are hard. I switched back to a vegetarian diet at New Years. My goal is to eat at least one fruit and one vegetable per day. I was also a horrible soda drinker but with not getting fast food for lunch (because It's mostly meat choices anyway) I went three days without soda by default. Still drinking coffee - got lots of Starbucks cards and Keurig cups for Christmas. Working on it.

I can remove the rear wheel.  I can find the cause of the flat.  I can replace the tube without pinching it.  Don't even need tire levers.

What I can't do is put the rear wheel back on.  It's easier to solve a Rubick's Cube. If I'm with biking buddies, I fake a back injury at that point and hope one of them falls for it.

If I were rich, I'd just buy a new bike when my rear tire goes flat.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^^

LOL!

Except, I really don't have room to laugh. I can't change a flat to save my life.  :laugh:
 Post Number: 28
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 12:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Frank--be sure the chain is on the smallest cog before you remove the wheel.  Grab the derailleur and pull it to the rear of the bike as you remove the wheel.  I am assuming at this point  that you have turned the bike over.

When you go to return the rear wheel, again pull the derailleur back until it holds the chain into a broad loop.  Slide the wheel into place, with the rear cluster between the two pieces of chain, and Bob's your uncle.  

I totally failed to explain that clearly, didn't I?  I am going to have to make a video.  Unless somebody out there has already done one (of course they have!  They must have!)

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 29
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 1:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And, sure enough, here are a couple of videos.  

This one I haven't tried--doing it without even turning the bike over.  It looks pretty slick; don't know if it would work as well with the road bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szys1TuPTaY

This one is demonstrating just what I was trying to describe:
http://www.howcast.com/videos....-Repair

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 7:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, RebeccaD, I watched both videos, they are helpful. I feel less confused, but suspect I may still have to fake a back injury.

--------------
264 replies since Jan. 01 2014, 12:19 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 912345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 2014 fitness updates
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions