2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: high blood pressure (hopefully temporary), take aspirin?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 12:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lately (just in the last couple days) I have had quite a bit of very stressful stuff going on. I'll leave it at 'family problems' for now. I've also not slept more than ~2hrs the last 3 nights in a row. I'm working through the weekend and we have one of those blood pressure machines. I generally run a little bit high, and been meaning to see a doctor about it for a while, but haven't. But with the recent events and feeling my heart just pounding I went to check it. I typically walk slow and calm to the machine, then set at least a minute. I sat for about 3 minutes today without moving then pressed the button.

I was at about 169/92-67bps (I typically average around 140/86-60, lately less than that). I'm hoping this will pass soon (hopefully the stress will be over soon), but who knows what will happen. I know I need to see a doctor but that might take some time (I don't even have one really, so have to figure that out) but what I was wondering is would it benefit me to do something otc temporary just while its spiked up high? Can I take some aspirin to help? How much? I'll be back into work tomorrow I can check it again.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't mess around with that.  See someone asap.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 3
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

High blood pressure is a long term killer, so don't freak out overnight.  What type of "machine" did you use?  the best is still the dr with the stignomomninioneter.  Or whatever it is.  Go see your.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 4
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First - Time to get yourself a doc.  There are lot of causes of high blood pressure and only a through exam can the cause be pin pointed.  Stress can increase BP but there could be underlying conditions that are contributing.

Second - Low dose aspirin is taken to reduce platelets and prevent clots as a preventive for heart attacks and stroke.  It is not a treatment for high blood pressure. Not every one should take aspirin as there are potential serious adverse effects.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 5
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Jan. 18 2014, 4:26 pm)
High blood pressure is a long term killer, so don't freak out overnight.

Yeah I think I just overreacted a bit. Just kind of freaked a little when I saw a number that was the highest ever. I check it routinely. Unfortunately heart conditions do run in my family.

(Roger @ Jan. 18 2014, 4:40 pm)
Second - Low dose aspirin is taken to reduce platelets and prevent clots as a preventive for heart attacks and stroke.  It is not a treatment for high blood pressure.

Oh yeah I think I jumped to the conclusion that aspirin reduces bp.

OK so disregard post. Hopefully things will settle back down over the next week. Thankfully I have it off, and can catch up on some rest!

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 6
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will tell you the same thing I tell my daughter and wife. Learn to relax when you are not stressed so you can relax when stressed. It takes daily practice.
5 replies since Jan. 18 2014, 12:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply high blood pressure (hopefully temporary)
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions