2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Balance training< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2014, 10:00 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone do it?  Is it worthwhile (stream crossings, etc.)?

Slackline, bosu, etc.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 7:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As you age, balance training becomes even more important.  Many yoga poses work on balance.  I have not found it helpful when crossing streams, but it may be keeping me upright when I trip over my own feet.  :)  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's formalized balance training?  I honestly had no idea.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jim, in your line of work, I am sure Mental Balance training would be a good thing for many of the people you meet / work with.  

Lots of trainers are using bosu as a balance trainer.  Tree, star, crow, and crescent moon yoga poses are all good places to start.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 11:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Feb. 16 2014, 10:00 am)
Slackline, bosu, etc.

Slackline helps keep my local Emergency Dept in business...  :p
Bosu was fun during rehab!
 Post Number: 6
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2014, 7:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jim, I don't know that it's formal, but there appear to be schools of thought, anyway.

Zeke, I've never done yoga, but one thing I used to do was simple presses with dumbbells while standing on a bosu, round side up - I guess round side down would be more advanced.

fife, yeah, I hear that about slackline and crossfit.
 Post Number: 7
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2014, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought a slackline because I thought my family would like it, but we hardly use it. Maybe we will more in the summer.

I did a mud run a while back where I realized that I was just chicken of the balance obstacles. One was to go from the top of one plank to the next. They started at about two feet high and got progressively taller. I didn't even attempt it. Thats another reason I bought the slackline.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 8
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2014, 9:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are several ways to improve the muscles that keep you up right as well as train the inner ear/brain to use them.

Most are fun (if you like routine exercises and a gym rat) and a few are exhausting.

Gofit.net has Balance and Core Stability products.  I have finally become friends with (but not mastered) the Wobble Board and a foam board.  I haven't graduated to the one leg deep knee bends on either of them, but I have almost worn off the paint on a door jam with my death grips.

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Balance.html has other suggestions.  EXRX.net is an excellent go-to link for almost anything you can do to/for your body.

Those large rubber balls can be used as well if you have a horizontal bar above you until you master not falling off.  Unsupported deep knee bends are for the post graduates.

It is not so much a problem of balance (unless a head injury or elderly) as it is making sure the muscles that you use are ready to be used.

Carrying a pack for miles everyday is a good example of, "Dang this is kicking my kiester!" wish that you had spent more time before you got there.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 9
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2014, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We start losing our balance sensors at 20 -- but can regain them with training.

I researched this after I kept getting ankle sprains while trail running. Bottom line is we'll always "come down wrong" on something sometime, rock, stick whatever. That is a given.

Question is whether we "move back to center, to balance" after the initial stumble.

I got a wobble board, never had a bad sprain since. Wobble board is fun, couple minutes a day does a lot. Any "one-legged" work seems to help though. Just holding one foot off the ground, doing shallow knee bend with the other, benefits.
 Post Number: 10
gorgescrambler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2014, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I took up muni riding ( a tough unicycle with mtn bike tire) at 59. It has been 1 year since I started. Riding mtn bike trails is a balance/muscle memory exercise that does not stop; roots, rocks, drops keep you focused on staying balanced. It builds adaptive balance, torso and leg strength, and is so much fun.
9 replies since Feb. 16 2014, 10:00 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Balance training
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions