2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 10212345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Childbirth< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
VAN Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2009, 10:47 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With Sarbar's exciting news and my upcoming delivery (I'm almost 30 weeks), I was wondering if I could get some words of wisdom from the lovely ladies of the backpacking world.

How many of you had natural childbirths? How many of you had c-sections? Did anyone have gestational diabetes?

I am currently thinking about a natural childbirth in the hospital where I work. I have a very hard time giving blood with deep veins and have had issues in the lab over the course of my life. I can't even begin to imagine getting an IV or epidural. However, I am trying to keep my mind open.

I however have failed my first glucose test and need to go in for the 3 hour one. I am concerned about the diagnosis of gestational diabetes and how this may affect my birth plan.

If you care to share your birth story, I'd love to hear it!

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 1:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I failed a glucose test with my first pregnancy, and passed the 3 hour test with flying colors.  I also have horror stories about labwork, usually having to be stuck at least 3 times before they can draw blood for some reason.  On the other hand, IVs have always gone in easily.  I don't know what the difference is exactly, but I've had a number of IVs and it is always easier than blood draws from my arm.  I guess the point of all that is, don't worry too much ahead of time.  L&D nurses are generally highly skilled and able to get done what needs to be done.
With my first baby, I was really squeamish about the idea of an epidural, and labored 16 hours (with pitocin) without any pain relief.  I didn't think labor was nearly as bad as I had anticipated it would be.  I was really doing OK.  For some reason, my nurse was concerned though.  Finally, she convinced me that I'd really want the epidural when it came time to deliver, and then it would be too late.  She assured me it was no biggie, and that the anesthesist on duty was the very best, yada yada yada.  So I had the epidural placed.  As soon as he was done, the anesthesist informed me the needle had gone a bit too far, and I had a dural leak, which would result in the worst headache of my life.  Which it did, for several weeks on and off.  (Apparently I was only teh 2nd "wet tap" epidural he had in his long career, just my luck).  Within minutes, it was determined that my baby was breech, and her heart rate was plumeting, and I was whisked away for a C-section.  So in my case, even though the epidural went badly, it was lucky it was there because there would have been no time to get it done once the C-section was imminent.  I would have required general anesthesia for the surgery.  
My second baby, by necessity, was delivered by scheduled c-section.  I found that a smooth, deliberate c-section is a much more pleasant experience than the "dash and slash" emergency kind.  I'd still rather do it the non-surgical way, but that's life.

I guess if I have any advice to offer, it would be to just keep an open mind.  Be aware of all your options, and make informed decisions as the drama unfolds.  Lots of women do just fine with natural childbirth, but there is no shame in choosing pain control and enjoying the experience a bit more.  
This is one time when the destination IS more important than the journey.  All that matters in the end is that your baby arrives, with both of you safe and well.  The mode of delivery becomes a footnote.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 3
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll second the keep an open mind advice.  Healthy Mom, healthy baby is the goal and whatever makes that happen is the way it should go.  :)

I failed the one hour test with all three of mine.  Then passed the 3 hour.  I'm a hypoglycemic when not pregnant and the docs expected gestational diabetes to be an issue.  I probably skated on the borderline of it for all 3.

I'd wanted so badly to go natural childbirth with my first.  Took the classes, practiced the breathing, repeatedly informed the doc I didn't want meds or an epidural.

Then I went into labor...two weeks late.  Two days of being in mild labor later I managed the 3 cm needed to get me admitted to the hospital.  They broke my water.  After 4 hours of hard labor and a LOT of demerol they got me to sign the papers for the emergency C-section.  I remember the anesthesiologist had blue-green eyes...

Son #1 was 9lbs 12oz.  His head was bruised where it connected with my pelvis.  He just didn't fit.

Son #2 turned around breach at the beginning of my third trimester and wouldn't budge.  An ultrasound showed him too big to attempt a version.

I'd wanted an unmedicated VBAC.  I'll agree that the non-emergency c-section is WAY better than dash and slash.

He was 9lbs 6oz.

With son #3 the docs wouldn't even entertain the conversation about a VBAC.  2 c-sections and they start saying things like "possibility to hemorrhage and die if you go into labor" because of internal c-section scars.

Another planned section.  Didn't even bother with a late term ultrasound so it was a surprise when the doc reached up in there and said "Oh, a foot...and a butt.  He's breach."

He was 9lbs 4oz.

I figure, if I was crazy enough to go for a 4th I might have had a nice, tiny 8lb-er!

They deal with gestational diabetes all the time.  It won't affect your birth plan.  Just keep that plan flexible.

Can't wait to see your newborn pics!  :)
 Post Number: 4
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If our tiny local hospital at the time had the right technology, I would have had a water birth, but the infrastructure wasn't in place at the time.  Warm water was about the only thing that made the contractions feel better!  I had a long and hard labor after sailing through a problem free pregnancy (I figured that labor made up for everything I didn't have to put up with LOL!), had an epidural later than I wanted to (our only anesthesiologist was in surgery before getting to me), and ended up with a forceps delivery after pushing for a wee bit too long.  I could have had an emergency C-section, but that was another 20 minutes and 2 floors away, and Leaf was just about there but needed help.  I couldn't push out a 5 lb 14 oz baby, but I think he was all head.  I didn't feel quite right for weeks after the forceps delivery - I'd opt for a C-section the next time if I knew I'd need one.

Definitely keep an open mind.  The doc I ended up having him delivered by wasn't the one I wanted, but as the nurse told me, if I was going to have a forceps delivery he was the guy to do it.  I had a  great nurse - she stayed with me long after her shift ended just to see him delivered  :)

You are going to do great!  We can't wait to hear all about it.

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 9:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks! I will schedule myself for the 3 hour test and see how it goes. No one in my family has sugar problems (we all have high blood pressure, which I've taken medicine for years because of). So the diabetes thing came as a shocker.

I never ever in a million years thought I'd even consider a natural childbirth. The conversation started when I talked to some of the floor nurses I work with on a daily basis. Most of them had natural childbirths or had very little pain meds (through IV, not epidural). They encouraged me to think about it and I've done a lot of reading since then.

I'm not comfortable out of the hospital, I actually love my hospital because I work there and I know everyone. I think we have tubs in labor and delivery for use during labor (not pushing) and I am interested in that aspect because I love water.

Thanks again for the insight, I'm willing to listen to anything!

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 6
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had lots of meds with my first and spinal anesthesia. That was how I wanted it.  I had a floppy infant who had trouble waking up.

With my 2nd one I had planned an epidural and no other pain relief.
I had to get to 4 cm before I could have it administered.

I preciped and went from 4-10 cm in less than 5 minutes and had natural childbirth with #2 baby. It was too late for an epidural.  I was all over that bed. Jungle Woman.

It was over with so fast.  It hurt like a mutha, but I didn't have to have an episiotomy although baby #2 was bigger!  I healed faster and
had a nice fat, healthy baby who came out wide awake and looking for the breast. He was ready to eat.  

The second time around was much better for all.

Take your sense of humor with you. You'll need it.
I started talking out my head when I was in transition both times.
I was confessing to killings committed before I was even born.
I was out of my mind for a few minutes there.
It's funny now, but I was totally out of control.

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Van, I went to a midwife out in the woods for most of my pregnancy, went to hippie childbirth classes...oh I was going to have the best birth ever with ford :D

Then I developed Preclampsia in my 7th month, was put on bed rest and had a forced early delivery at 8 months. Life often gives you changes.

But! I almost always felt in control (good hospital and Doctors). I had a Doula who worked well with the OB's and my Midwife had hospital privileges so came into visit (I was in the hospital for a couple days before they delivered him).

As for my delivery: they tried hormones and chemical drips to get it going, that failed (duh) and then they simply broke my water. That put me in hard labor. I was in labor for 5 hours and delivered him without any painkillers. Due to his being a preemie I wanted him to have every advantage.

So go planned - with a good birth plan and someone to question everything they want to do (honestly, you won't have the energy to think straight!).

Plan for the best but be willing to accept changes - but always opt for the most minimal if you can to protect you and the baby. (Episotomies? No thanks!)

With the pregnancy now I am seeing a OB who takes on mild high risk patients and is involved. She has backup OB's who only see severe high risk moms, one reason I picked her. The hospital has a well rated neonatal center as well. Bluntly put, I don't expect to carry to full term and am hoping for the best. But in the end, if I am healthy and so is the baby, I can handle whatever is done.

So take the advice, weight it carefully and decide what is best - but always have a trained person by your side to help you out. (The money for a Doula is priceless!)

And if you can do it pain free, do. You will feel SO much better afterward. Sure it hurts like hell, but the pain stops instantly after :)

And if you do end up with gestational diabetes, just be good and follow orders and if it comes to a big baby and needing a c section, just chant "healthy baby, healthy baby!" :)

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 8
lilmountaingirl Search for posts by this member.
~scribble~

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I passed my one hour last pregnancy and I haven't taken it yet for this one. All in all, my first pregnancy was easy and complication free.

I was induced after the doc heard 'Nuts heart rate dropping. Turns out my amniotic fluid was almost nil. They stopped the pitocin because 3 high risk women came in and my Dr. could "control" my labor. They started it again the next morning around 5. At 6am, they broke my water (and about 6 drops came out). At 9am and 3cm, the Dr. ordered the intrathecal/epidural because i was shaking violently with contractions and couldn't relax.

11am they said they wanted to check my dilation but the Dr. would be talking to me about a c-section b/c her heart rate was dropping like mad. My BP was very low, I was on pitocin, antiobiotics & oxygen. At 11:05, they discovered I was at 10cm. Doc came in, I pushed once, she crowned. The doctor literally jumped up and yelled "This baby's coming NOW!". Nurses appeared, trays of instruments, and a big freakin' light dropped from the ceiling. I looked at Brad and said "Are you f**king kidding me?"

Two pushes later, out she popped. 7lbs 9oz. I felt nothing from the time they gave me the intrathecal until it all wore off...then it sucked. lol

I have a new respect for women that can go all natural. I'm a big pansy with no tolerance for pain. :D

We joked throughout the pregnancy that my birth plan was to get her out as quickly and painlessly as possible. Somehow, that's exactly what happened. Now...with baby #2 on the way...I'm scared sh*tless that I won't be so lucky a second time. lol
 Post Number: 9
HikermomCT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The practice I went to when I was pregnant with my two sons had both doctors and midwives and you saw both through the pregancies and had both (supposedly) at the birth. I loved the midwives because they always seem to have more time to spend with you (in fact even though I'm now in my 50's, my primary ob/gym care giver is a nurse midwife who is wonderful.)

I too failed the one hour glucose test with my first son and had to do the three hour thing, but passed that one. My first son was two weeks late. They did an untrasound one week before he was born to make sure everything was ok. They told me that my baby was at least 10 pounds and I was going to have a very difficult labor. The day he was born I started having contractions around noon - but they were lasting for four minutes each (kind of long for a contraction). The doctor didn't believe me but after an office visit, this was confirmed and they sent me right to the hospital. They put me on pitocin to regulate the contractions (this also, usually, speeds up your labor).  Around 5:00 my doctor thought I was going to go until about midnight before delivering; the midwife thought I might deliver around 9:00 pm. Both wanted me to take pain meds then, but I made a decision not to because I didn't want to introduce meds to my baby. Surprise - I was right! By 6:00 I was fully dilated (had to find the doctor who was somewhere in the hospital). My son was born at 6:33pm. Only bad thing was I had a very bad tear and an episiotomy. Very painful - swollen, black & blue and couldn't sit down to pee for three weeks.  Oh - that supposed 10 pound baby only weighed 7.7 pounds and my labor was not difficult as they predicted (6 1/2 hours start to finish).

My second son came 8 days early. First contraction was at noon and I did all my labor at home. Called the doctor at 5:00 and they didn't call me back until just before 6:00 (must have been at dinner!). When I told them how far along I was they suggested I get to the hospital by 7:00. That was too long a wait for me.  We started out for the hospital immediately (it's only about 6 miles away, but through busy downtown streets at rush hour) and as we were driving I felt the baby coming - I mean REALLY ready! My husband ended up running all the red lights to get to the hospital. Once there they whisked me into a wheel chair (as I'm breathing to try to hold the baby in!) and got me to a delivery room. A nurse came in, practically tore off my clothes and the resident doctor on duty proceeded to massage my perininum to easy the baby out and he was born right then at 6:23 pm. The doctor and midwife arrived a few minutes later. Start to finish with this delivery was just under 6 hours. He was a little guy weighing only 6.2 pounds.

So, I was lucky with both to have short labors and not have to have pain meds. Not all go this smoothly so as everyone says be prepared for the unexpected. I took all the prenatal classes, but I can't say I used a lot of the techniques they taught us (although I did use some of the breathing recently when I had to get a cortisone shot in my heal!)

If you plan to breast feed, get in touch with the laleche league or a good lactation nurse in the hospital. When I had my first son I was having a hard time getting him to latch on. This awful nurse came in and very nastily told me that I "just wasn't going to be able to do this" and stomped out of the room. Not something to say to a new mom. I burst out in tears. Finally another nurse (a wonderful young Hispanic woman) came in and spent 15 minutes with me teaching and helping me. That's all I needed and my son breast fed for 18 months! So much for not being able to do it.

Enjoy your baby when he/she finally arrives. Remember that newborn smell and how tiny they feel in your arms. They really do grow up very fast.  
Get your sleep when ever you can.
Join a new moms' group.
Make sure you make time for your partner.
 Post Number: 10
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My water broke - "gushing" was the word they used when I got to the hospital - about 2 weeks before my expected due date.  I arrived with contractions 2 minutes apart, labored for about 12 hours - contractions still 2 minutes apart, even with the super-contraction medicine, and finally the doctors did a C-section.

My sister had 2 completely natural childbirths, the second with gestational diabetes.  She said it was a "very primal experience" - seriously, direct quote!

Oh, I was also severely anemic & had to take 3 horse pills per day of iron, as opposed to the 1 iron pill I was originally assigned.  The OB wanted my iron up in case of blood loss, which was not an issue - thankfully.

Good luck!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 11
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

p.s. I had an epidural after about 5 hours of labor.  Before the C-section, the numbing properties of the epidural were increased, which was kind of scary b/c I couldn't feel my chest any more.  I figure that God made drugs, so there was no reason for me be in pain.  :)

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 12
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll agree with those who say to make a plan--and then be willing to modify it or dump it entirely.  I went into the first delivery with great notions of purity, which were already in tatters because I had to have labor induced.  I ended up having some pain meds, which I did NOT repeat with kid #2, as I had felt they didn't really help that much.

I was firm about no episiotomy, but because he was face up and unwilling to come out for far too long, I ended up with both tearing AND an episiotomy.  But he was fine, which was the bottom line.

Second kid, my only goal was to NOT need induction.  That didn't work out either.  But the whole thing was easier and I didn't do any pain meds.  They did have me on a lot of monitors, and even oxygen for the last part of the delivery, all of which I hated (the big reason I didn't want induction).

I guess I don't have to tell you that however natural you want it to be, having the baby in the hospital seems best in many ways--FAST access to more care if needed (I came very close to emergency c-section with both boys, and was glad to have all the hospital resources at hand, not half an hour away across town).  

I had totally healthy pregnancies and in both cases the ultrasound before inducing labor indicated the kids were in the right position--and both were face-up before delivery.  I guess that was my lesson in "expect the unexpected."  Which isn't a bad lesson to get at the beginning of parenthood, because it's by george been one surprising lesson after another for the last 12 years!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 13
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Sep. 25 2009, 5:02 pm)
 I guess that was my lesson in "expect the unexpected."  Which isn't a bad lesson to get at the beginning of parenthood, because it's by george been one surprising lesson after another for the last 12 years!

Can I get an amen!!!

:laugh:

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 14
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

AMEN!

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(peeb @ Sep. 25 2009, 2:07 pm)

(RebeccaD @ Sep. 25 2009, 5:02 pm)
 I guess that was my lesson in "expect the unexpected."  Which isn't a bad lesson to get at the beginning of parenthood, because it's by george been one surprising lesson after another for the last 12 years!

Can I get an amen!!!

:laugh:

Oh you know it! Today is Ford's 12th :D :D

I am laughing today - he that little thing is now taller than me!

(And wow, was I young!)

--------------
 Post Number: 16
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 9:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eldest Son isn't 12 for another month. . . and I can't claim I was young, and he is far from taller than me.  See?  Nothing predictable anywhere!

Still--he's bigger than he was, and I was younger than I am now!

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2009, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh I love those pictures!  :)  I was inspired to hunt for my own:

We had to take pix at the hospital after PB was born b/c every single person in my family had gone out of town for my grandmother's 80th birthday party, and we overnighted copies of the pictures so that everyone could see the new baby.  

The day before PB was born, my cousin's wife had Baby Phoenix.  Funny how I still think of Phoenix as a baby!  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 18
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2009, 1:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lord, are we a bunch of mushheads :D :D There are days I cannot believe he is taller than me - how did that happen? It is like, you were just in Kindergarten!

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2009, 7:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We keep feeding them, that's the problem.  It contributes to all the growing.

I've told mine to stop it, and that nothing good will come of it, and that they'll only end up paying taxes and whatnot.

They never listen.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2009, 9:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is no hope for my kids. I am 5'1 and my husband is 5'6. My mom and dad are both short and so are my husband's family.

We will have very short kids no matter what we feed them!

--------------
 Post Number: 21
upsidedown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2009, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Van--

I had both of my boys at a birth center.  No drugs.

Birth is an incredibly personal thing--I placed my trust in the notion that my body would know what to do and I was along for the ride.   You have to do what makes you feel most safe and protected.

I also practiced affirmations everyday as a way to be positive even when I might be scared or unsure--for me they worked.

Good Luck!

--------------
www.despair.com
 Post Number: 22
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2009, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(VAN @ Sep. 26 2009, 6:30 am)
There is no hope for my kids. I am 5'1 and my husband is 5'6. My mom and dad are both short and so are my husband's family.

We will have very short kids no matter what we feed them!

Dicentra is being snarky and placing bets on me having a super child pop out. All the males on my side of family are/were 6 feet (my dad was of Norwegian descent). Synchro is 6'4", a good foot taller than me.

So far Ford is off the charts for height for his age. At his Dr. appt. last month he was in the 110th or higher percentile. They figure 6'2" or taller at adulthood.

If I have another boy...eek! Synchro was a big baby as well - I think 10 lbs?

--------------
 Post Number: 23
Miss Q Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2009, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(VAN @ Sep. 24 2009, 8:47 pm)

My oldest is 21 years old. When I had him I had NO money or education to speak of, No resources to speak of. The nurse who "helped" me deliver (a small town country dr."s office) had miscarried many times and was desperate for a baby and would do anything to have one. Bad nurse.

I went to prenatal classes and they showed me films  of real deliveries which scared the hell out of me and told me to breath. DUH. Nothing about what breaking your waters was about, or anything I found useful.   I just felt a little seepage and didn't know it was my water breaking and didn't go to the hospital for another 10 hours.

I was in such pain I could hardly breath or function. THE NURSE TOLD ME TO SUCK IT UP I WAS BEING A WIMP! So I got no pain meds which I begged for.

I had my baby transverse, which means he came out with his head facing up instead of down. Bigger in diameter. They cut me both ways, by my anus and up toward my front to allow enough room for him to get out because his head was so big. Lots of damage. Fun. I get to deal with issues related to that to this day.

It was horrible. But since I had nothing to compare it to I thought is was normal. I finally got brave enough to have my second and last baby three years later and went to a different hospital. It was a breeze! I said when it was done: It's already over? And they said yes. and I couldn't believe it! It was great! Having a baby in a good hospital or in a good environment makes it a breeze. I hope you are able to do this.

If I had access to the internet and other resources back then it would have been different.

I wish that I knew then what I know now! But it seems like you are doing the right thing and asking the right questions. I was lucky and had no health problems like diabetes and made it through ok. I don't even know the tests you are asking about I am so out of touch with childbirth anymore. :) One day when i Have grandchildren I'm sure I will be right on it again.

I do so wish you the best and know that you will share and am looking forward to it.
 Post Number: 24
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2009, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Miss Q - it is so scary how times have changed. My mom was given Twilight against her will with me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_anesthesia It was quite often given to women to shut them up and make it "easy" for the Dr. My mom said that all she was half awake the whole time but couldn't talk. YUCK!

Of course back then they also left women in the corridors on stretchers with their dignity in tatters. Forced shavings and being cut without being told why, forceps used without being told in advance.

My mom was with me when Ford was born and I have to say she was shocked. The OB was so nice to her, constantly telling her what was going on.

My mom later told me that being able to witness a birth like his was the best present I could have given her - that she was just shocked how graceful, how loving and how much respect there was in the room. She said had she had that she would have not had her fear of childbirth!

That and that a woman could have a woman OB was just unfathomable to her. She lived in a time when you couldn't get birth control without being married and your husband's permission!

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2009, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Sep. 26 2009, 6:13 pm)
My mom later told me that being able to witness a birth like his was the best present I could have given her - that she was just shocked how graceful, how loving and how much respect there was in the room.

My mom is really excited to be with me in the delivery room. She had me via emergency c-section and  then was induced with my sister.

She's never seen a vaginal birth and told me she wants to share the experience with me. Other then my husband, my mom and my sister are going to be the only ones in the room.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2009, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well they tried to give me the 3 hour glucose test and couldn't get any blood out of me. I just don't produce after a 12 hr fast.

My levels from the one hour were bad enough that they just decided to give me the diabetic diet, so I start today counting my starches, milks, fats, etc. Here's hoping the next 10 weeks go by fast and I don't end up with a mondo baby.

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2009, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Drat.  Well that's a nuisance.

On the upside you'll probably get extra ultrasounds to check babys weight. More pictures!  :)
 Post Number: 28
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2009, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep! Good luck Van :) Thinking of you!

--------------
 Post Number: 29
foggy Search for posts by this member.
There's no place like home

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2009, 10:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, does this thread bring back memories...I was fairly lucky through my whole pregnancy, other than having morning sickness for most of my term.  My photos are packed, but one of these days, after we get moved, I'll have to dig them up.  My baby turned 30 this year... :(

--------------
"True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost."
- Charles Caleb Colton

Isn't that the truth?
 Post Number: 30
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2009, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My sister had gestational diabetes and ended up with a full-term less than 6 lb baby, so you never know!  :)

Good luck, Van!

--------------
3050 replies since Sep. 24 2009, 10:47 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 10212345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Childbirth
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions