2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 512345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Menopause Sux, ...at least right now...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2009, 12:15 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't want any man coming into this thread and giving me opinions on how to make this better.  If you do, and I yell at you, it's your own fault. Disclaimer /off...

I am irritated, my boobs hurt, my cycle starts two weeks early, 2 weeks late, oh, whenever the hell it wants to.
Clutter bothers me on a normal day, yesterday I was cranky about the bathroom. Rumi, the good man he is, took to it and now it sparkles.  I know it's not rational crankiness, but I can't help it, only temper it a bit so I don't bark at the ones I love.  Hiking isn't something I want to do right now. The boobs hurt that bad. Bouncing them around would not be good. No, don't even suggest a sports bra.  The very idea makes me shudder.  I've gained weight and an attitude. *sigh*

So, tell me to suck it up, tell me your own menopause remedies, or your own stories of men giving you advice for something (unless they are a doctor, and maybe not even then) they can't possibly understand... I need some freaking feedback as I slowly slide in to Crone at the age of 36.  :angry:

I do realize, once I get thru all this crap, no more cycles!! And my migraines have slowly decreased. Considering they were once bad enough to land me in the hospital, take years of memories from me, and to think that death was an option, this is a blessed side benefit.  Now that I am two years into this, they are more like stubbing my toe rather than having my toe torn off by a dull jigsaw. How's that for a discription?  :p

Thanks, ladies, for listening...  :)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2009, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I have told several here and elsewhere, get copies of the books listed below, read and make your own decisions.

I rejected HRT and used natural progesterone cream exclusively.  

I never had hot flashes, but had a lot of trouble sleeping and just had to look at food to gain weight.  

As soon as I started using the natural progesterone cream I was able to sleep, then was able to drop most of the weight with little effort.  

Another good thing about the cream, that you might like, is that it totally eliminated all of the fiberous tissue in my breasts.   That was such a relief!

I also dug up a couple of old threads that might be helpful.  

Good luck!

Hormone Heresy - by Sherill Sellman

http://www.amazon.com/Hormone....&sr=1-1

What Your Doctor Won't Tell You About Menopause - by Dr. John Lee and Virginia Hopkins

http://www.amazon.com/What-Yo....&sr=1-2

http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....hormone

http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....=heresy

P.S.  I will add that years ago one fool man decided he was going to offer advice here.... it was not a pretty picture.  If he had done that in real life he probably would have lost his life.  Several of us beat up on him!

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2009, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The whole migraine thing could be the relief you NEED though. :) My mom went through the change early as well. I seem so far to have bucked that (but....I also have not gone gray, my mom went gray before she was even out of high school!)

At least when it happens I will have you to help me ;-)

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 4
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2009, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At the start of the changes every woman should be issued a lifetime supply of chocolate and a sniper rifle.

They would probably be used in equal measure, thereby stimulating the economies of chocolate producing countries, and culling the herds of stupid people found within the 100 mile radius of a menopausal woman.

Here, have some giggles: http://www.squidoo.com/menolaugh

Do we need to move any bodies for you?  Just say the word. Obscenities encouraged.  :)

Bumper Sticker:
I'm out of estrogen and I've got a gun!

:)
 Post Number: 5
meanders Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2009, 11:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Dec. 06 2009, 2:50 pm)
Bumper Sticker:

Ooo, I do love that. Were can i get one.

In my family, the saying was: Start late finish early.

Well. I started at 16 and have definitely started finishing early 38. I am now 43 ( soon to be 44 in Jan).
Sometimes I want to rip someones head off and 5 seconds later cry because I did not rip their head off.  :D
I love the mystery of when the period will start, if it will,  how long and how many times back to back. Maybe I should set up my own betting book and make some money out of the whole thing.

I do hope the whole 10 year thing is bogus or I might end up in jail.

--------------
----------------------

Sherri
Utah
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2009, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the reading recommendations, Deborah.  I need to see if our library carries those.  The more information the better, though I already had made up my mind to stay away from hormone therapy.  I've always gone with less is more.  

I'll be right here for ya, Sar! Maybe I should keep a menopause journal so I can give you a good laugh when you start yours?  You might not recognize it though, having a household of boys/men.  One would think you'd already have an elevated irritation level.    :p

No bodies, yet, Spin.  I gots me a good sister though who can run a tractor and a chainsaw.  I'm good!  :;): I did break into the Dove chocolates we had set aside for Christmas packages last night.  It was an emergency!  Squiddo has some good stuff.  The video with the two gals in the parking lot is me right now.  God, please don't let anyone piss me off.  The Hendrickson beserker rage has been so rare in me, I can count on one hand the times I have gone off.  Not pretty.  How does every woman get thru this without massacres happening? That's the question I have.  Wow...what a thing to experience.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2009, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(meanders @ Dec. 06 2009, 8:23 pm)

(spindle @ Dec. 06 2009, 2:50 pm)
Bumper Sticker:

Ooo, I do love that. Were can i get one.

In my family, the saying was: Start late finish early.

Well. I started at 16 and have definitely started finishing early 38. I am now 43 ( soon to be 44 in Jan).
Sometimes I want to rip someones head off and 5 seconds later cry because I did not rip their head off.  :D
I love the mystery of when the period will start, if it will,  how long and how many times back to back. Maybe I should set up my own betting book and make some money out of the whole thing.

It is interesting to try to guess when menopause will start.  I would have thought that, according to my family history, I would be around 50 when I started it, but no, 34 years old.  Same for my sister.  We both were done with kids, so that's okay, I just wasn't mentally prepared.  My best friend is the same age and is going thru the same thing, but she expected it since her mom started her menopause early, too.  

Luckily, I haven't had crying jags yet, just the rage.  I don't think I could handle crying.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2009, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ldyblade @ Dec. 06 2009, 11:44 pm)
Luckily, I haven't had crying jags yet, just the rage.  I don't think I could handle crying.

I have cryed over dog food ads. How sad is that?

The worest thing for me is there is a sane part of my brain that tells me how silly I am being but I can not control the emotional side at all. Rage, sadness and excessive happininess all within 30 mins. I am the life of the party until I want to rip someones head off.

--------------
----------------------

Sherri
Utah
 Post Number: 9
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2009, 12:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(meanders @ Dec. 06 2009, 9:23 pm)

We will send you a cake with a file inside.  

Ten years sounds about right.  sigh

--------------

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2009, 12:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Dec. 07 2009, 12:23 am)

lovely, a ten year conviction. Not really into cake prefer pie. Good thing I am naturally slim maybe I can slip between the bar.

--------------
----------------------

Sherri
Utah
 Post Number: 11
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2009, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It varies for everyone.  My mother sailed through menopause, barely noticed it.  I started menopause when I was 47 and at 57 I am still having night sweats and hot flashes during the day (fewer than before, however).  I haven't had a period in over two years though, which is nice.
I had temper flare-ups the first couple of years but then it evened out...................Now I'm bitchy ALL the time!     :laugh:

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 12
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2009, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Dec. 07 2009, 8:56 am)

It varies for everyone.  My mother sailed through menopause, barely noticed it.  I started menopause when I was 47 and at 57 I am still having night sweats and hot flashes during the day (fewer than before, however).  I haven't had a period in over two years though, which is nice.
I had temper flare-ups the first couple of years but then it evened out...................Now I'm bitchy ALL the time!     :laugh:

Yep, I'm sure you are correct.  It's just that most of the ones I know about lasted about 10 years.  

You need to come to CO sometime.  You would fit right in with us.  :)

--------------

Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2009, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Dec. 07 2009, 11:41 am)
You need to come to CO sometime.  You would fit right in with us.  :)

I may take you up on that.  I haven't been out there in quite awhile and you can't throw headlamp in Colorado without hitting a relative of mine.    :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 14
GaKayaker Search for posts by this member.
Georgia Kayaker at Mesa Verde NP

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2009, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I started mine at age 47 and now I am 50.  Maybe my wiring is off but I never suffered (thankfully) from PMS.  Now that I am going through menopause, I have the hot flashes but I have never had night sweats.

--------------
Prowler 13
Perception Acadia 12.5
Seadoo GTX155
 Post Number: 15
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2009, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GaKayaker @ Dec. 07 2009, 12:04 pm)
.............I have the hot flashes but I have never had night sweats.

I had night sweats two times and zero hot flashes!  It took me a couple of years to convince the female doctor that something was wrong since I did not have that one classic symptom.  

Funny -- I was almost looking forward to hot flashes since I always seemed to be colder than anyone around.  Oh well.

--------------

Post Number: 16
Spirit Walker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2009, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My mother said she had only one hot flash.  Ever. I haven't been quite as lucky, though I think mine aren't as bad as some people.  I am not even sure that I'm having hot flashes since we live in an apartment with baseboard heat so the temperature seems  to go up and up and up until I turn off the heat.  Just every once in a while, I'll ask my husband: "Is it hot in here? " He'll say, "Not really."  And I kick off the blanket or take off the sweater and go back to whatever I've been doing.  A few minutes later I'm not hot.  But is that a hot flash?  Don't know.  

My perimenopause was wierd.  For four years I would bleed for about one hour on one day during the year.  You aren't considered in menopause until a full year has gone by without a period.  Finally, at 52, I went the full 12 months.  I thought I'd be happy about that - but there are a few side effects I wasn't really warned about that are making life difficult.  I should probably see a doctor - but hate  to spend the money.  I think the progesterone cream would help, from the little I've read about it.  I can't see doing HRT - no reason to.

I've always been emotional, especially PMS type over-reactions.  I haven't seen any real difference in the past few years.  But then, my life has been pretty good the past few years.  I always cried at Hallmark commercials or old movies or beautiful music.  

Weight issues - yes, those are real.  I have an underactive thyroid which doesn't help, but I know there is a difference in my metabolism now.  Twenty years ago I could walk a few miles every day, eat whatever I wanted and not worry about my weight.  Now I exercise more, eat less, and the weight won't go away.  Part of me says, why worry about it?  I'm healthy.  I'm active.  Why worry that I'm not thin?  I look middle aged - big deal.  But sometimes I look at old photos of myself and I want that body back.  It wasn't great, but it was fit.
 Post Number: 17
lilmountaingirl Search for posts by this member.
~scribble~

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2009, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sorry ~ I have no advice but I keep reading the dang thread title as "Menopause SEX".
 Post Number: 18
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2009, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(lilmountaingirl @ Dec. 07 2009, 2:22 pm)
I'm sorry ~ I have no advice but I keep reading the dang thread title as "Menopause SEX".

LOL, well now, that is one thing that is a bit of a myth.

(just kidding)

--------------

Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2009, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BackpackHNTR @ Dec. 07 2009, 7:41 am)
Wow, and a woman is going to run for the most powerfull job in the world. Can you see her on a bad day dealing with Russia. Booooommmmm!

???  ???   You do know that talking and whining about rage doesn't equate blowing nations up, right? She might not take any crap off of anyone, but it doesn't mean she is going to push the big, red button.  Shouldn't you be off playing in the TPA in some gun thread anyway?  Shoo... go back to your toys.
 Post Number: 20
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2009, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(lilmountaingirl @ Dec. 07 2009, 2:22 pm)

I keep reading it because of the inevitable...
 Post Number: 21
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2009, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Spirit Walker @ Dec. 07 2009, 12:21 pm)
Just every once in a while, I'll ask my husband: "Is it hot in here? " He'll say, "Not really."  And I kick off the blanket or take off the sweater and go back to whatever I've been doing.  A few minutes later I'm not hot.  But is that a hot flash?  Don't know.  

......sometimes I look at old photos of myself and I want that body back.  It wasn't great, but it was fit.

Sounds like a "warm flash" to me.   :;):

I agree with wanting the old body back.

--------------

Post Number: 22
kitphantom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2009, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What no one ever mentioned to me was the "cold flash" before the hot one. When I bring it up, they say, "oh yes, I had those".

Most of the time, I have almost completely lost the ability to tell if a room is hot or cold, especially if I'm sitting still. A/C (refrigerated air, I do well with our swamp cooler) drives me crazy, since I tend to be either cold, or too hot, and my feet freeze either way in A/C.  Now that winter is here, in most buildings I am too warm, even without the hot flashes - not sure how much time I spend with a semi-red face. I have always tended to feel warm in motion, (I wear short pants above ~40) just more so now. I think it very unfair that I can be about at my heat tolerance limit when a hot flash will hit. Since sun on my face and chest is one of my triggers, that is not an uncommon occurance while hiking. The other ones I really hate are what I call the "short-cycle" ones, where I bounce from hot to cold and back in under a minute, & which seem to occur by the dozens. Now, on top of the standard flashes, my new cholsterol med causes "flushing", which seems to be a super hot flash accompanied by itching, though not every night and usually only once.
I really started hot flashes one summer when we were having almost constant record heat, so I blamed them on that until we went camping in the mountains & I kept crawling out of the sleeping bag even though it was in the 40s. I started paying attention after that, and for a long time they were happening with a few minutes to a couple hours of spacing. Seems better now, but it has ebbed and flowed that way for several years now.

I never considered HRT or the like, because of my history as a DES baby and the hormones we messed with while trying to solve infertility, on top of family history of breast and reproductive cancers. While I had a double mastectomy 4 years ago at a pre-cancerous stage; & ovaries & fallopian tubes removed earlier this year (on consultation with both my breast surgeon and an oncologic gyn), I still think I'll just continue to muddle through all the not-so-nice side effects of this age. The pluses are no periods, no PMS mood swings & achiness, & fewer headaches.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2009, 11:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okay so two of you have mentioned "not-so-nice side effects". Wanna clue me in? I am the kid in the class whose mother didn't bother to tell her about periods (luckily I was well read, including medical books) and the other kids my age aren't going thru this, let alone done with it.  Feel free to send me a PM.  I haven't had time to run to the library yet and I doubt it'll give me the same insight as a lady backpacker would....  For good or ill, I'm in it now.  Might as well know what's coming.

I have yet to have a hot flash, but those are interesting to watch.  My sister has them.  I have noticed a change in how I feel hot and cold, though.  I actually noticed that a year before the other symptoms.  It seemed weird to suddenly have to hike in a long sleeve shirt.  I used to overheat so easily and hiked in a short sleeve, no matter what the temp.  Not no more.  Layers are now the name of the game.  I thought it was just low iron levels....
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2009, 12:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ldyblade @ Dec. 08 2009, 11:34 pm)
Okay so two of you have mentioned "not-so-nice side effects". Wanna clue me in?

No.  What you don't know won't creep into your subconscious.    :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 25
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2009, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Dec. 08 2009, 10:13 pm)

(Ldyblade @ Dec. 08 2009, 11:34 pm)
Okay so two of you have mentioned "not-so-nice side effects". Wanna clue me in?

No.  What you don't know won't creep into your subconscious.    :;):

:laugh:

???

Ldyblade, I'm in the same shoes as you. Mother didn't share the period thing with me (luckily, I had an older sister willing to share) and the only thing I know about Menopause are the hot flashes and the lack of period.

I'm probably a while out from starting menopause, but it doesn't hurt to read.
 Post Number: 26
kitphantom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2009, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PM me if you want more/other details but here are a couple of observations:

"old lady butt" - mine has disappeared as I have lost shape - even though overweight, I still had a waist and butt - now I'm having problems keeping a pack so the weight is where is should be - as well as my pants!

changes in skin - doesn't help that I live in the high/arid SW & cannot wear sunscreen (not for lack of trying)

I don't really mind that my underarm hair has pretty much disappeared, but really, did it need to reappear on my chin?
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2009, 11:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kitphantom @ Dec. 09 2009, 3:53 pm)
I don't really mind that my underarm hair has pretty much disappeared, but really, did it need to reappear on my chin?

Night sweats, check
Hot flashes, check
Mood swings, check
Have not had new hair appearing in areas but the light fine facial hairs are darkening. Will have to do something before I have mutton chops. :p
Never really had a butt, so nothing to lose.
The one good thing is most all my effects happen in the evening, so  I have not blown up at work yet. Keeping fingers crossed.

--------------
----------------------

Sherri
Utah
 Post Number: 28
Krazi b Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2009, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have to admit I LOVE menopause.  I've saved a fortune on heat and the mood swings - well, once my family realized I was always right and they were always wrong - no problem.  And, when I backpack with younger women, I am really, really happy to be where I am.
 Post Number: 29
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2009, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Krazi b @ Dec. 10 2009, 11:03 am)
......... well, once my family realized I was always right and they were always wrong - no problem.  

That one made me chuckle.

--------------

Post Number: 30
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2009, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another book that some might find interesting:

The Greatest Experiment Ever Performed on Women: Exploding the Estrogen Myth by Barbara Seaman.

You might be surprised to learn how we came to have the BC pill.

--------------

134 replies since Dec. 06 2009, 12:15 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 512345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Menopause Sux
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions