2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Odd Question I know, But here goes?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rimmini Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2011, 11:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You all know I have a daughter so I have to pack my FAK with her in mind. That being said I thought about simplifying my FAK list by replacing sterile gauze with sanitary napkins. It seems they both serve the same basic function so this would kill two birds with one stone as it were. Good idea?? Bad Idea??
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2011, 1:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pads are actually recommended for use in emergency kits for their high absorbency levels. OB tampons (no applicator) are great for nose bleeds as well.

But...ummmm....how many girls use pads these days? Not many. Just saying. They are bulky (even the thinnest ones are and for FAK you don't want the super thin ones). And they are not comfy at all to wear when hiking.

PS: For the love of everything I hope the term "Sanitary Napkin" dies. It makes me think of the stories my Mom would tell me about the days before they had adhesive - the whole pinning them in or worse the belt. Oh yeah, the belt. One step above the moss hut (Google that). :p

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2011, 1:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I was your daughter's age, I would have used anything rather than ask my dad for help in that department.

I suggest you let her take care of her own supplies.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 4
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2011, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree with all of the above.  A pad thick enough to really be useful for first aid is the last thing I'd want to use for its intended purpose on the trail (or anywhere else actually).  And as a teenager, I'd rather have died than ask my dad where in his pack to find a pad/tampon.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 5
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2011, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sarbar, you make me feel old!  It was pads and belts when I started.  What I was relieved was not to have to use--and wash--fabric (rags) like MY mother!  

But I do think that even a mini-pad can be useful for bandaging purposes (I've used on on my spouse after a trail-running sprawl left him with extensive road-rash), and I think that we've heard before from Rimmini that he and his daughter are okay with this stuff.  That being the case, by  all means throw in a couple of the thin mini-pads, but I agree she'd be unlikely to want to use a full-sized pad.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 6
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2011, 11:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rimmini @ May 27 2011, 11:02 pm)
You all know I have a daughter so I have to pack my FAK with her in mind. That being said I thought about simplifying my FAK list by replacing sterile gauze with sanitary napkins. It seems they both serve the same basic function so this would kill two birds with one stone as it were. Good idea?? Bad Idea??

If she uses them, do so. And the ultra-absorbant thin ones should work just as well as the thicker ones for FAK purposes.
 Post Number: 7
rimmini Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2011, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like good in theory but BAD idea over all. Thanks ladies.
 Post Number: 8
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2011, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I keep one in my FAK - I figure it has more uses than a tampon and if it's really an emergency I will use it until I can get to something more comfortable.  They weigh next to nothing, so I don't think it would hurt to throw one in.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 9
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2011, 4:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What the hell is a FAK?

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 10
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2011, 4:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Nov. 28 2011, 4:37 am)
What the hell is a FAK?

I just looked it up. Look now, we can't be abbreviating everything or nothing will make sense. I completly disagree with abbv first aid kit. Its not that long and I see no need to. So don't do it anymore. Thank you.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 11
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2011, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

I keep one or two in my household and UTE FAKs. Never thought about tampons and nose bleeds. I guess I'll stock a few of those, too.

Heard that tampons were "good" for gunshot wounds too, but wouldn't like to find out for myself.
10 replies since May 27 2011, 11:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Odd Question I know
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions