2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Value your knowledge and working skills!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2012, 11:55 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last night was the monthly meeting of a small weaving group that I attend.  

The group is all female, though we would certainly welcome any men who wanted to join our study group.  It's just that very few men weave.

Most of us are 50+ years old.  Several are retired.  One recently retired from a city job.  She "grew up" in that job, 35+ years experience and learned the software from the moment it was first installed 25+ years ago and has worked on every version of it since.  She is an expert on that application for the city.  Since she retired she has been "helping her friend" at work 20 or more hours a month for FREE!    

I was appalled!  She is a sweetheart, but needs to be standing up for her rights.  Given the complexity of the software, and her level of expertise with it, she should be getting at least $50 an hour for consulting.  

I don't want to get into identifying the software, but it's complex enough that one can earn a four year degree in the use of it.  She does not have that degree because she has been in the trenches solving real life problems with it.  So, I am sure she knows it better than anyone just out of school.

We had a big GO M____ session and told her that we want to see the check she gets next month.  

Value your knowledge and working skills!   It might make her feel good to help her friend, but that will not build up her retirement fund or allow her to take some of those vacations that she longs to take.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2012, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree! My husband provides a similar level of expertise for our chapter of the Navy League. He runs their website and consults on technology matters. He wanted to do it all pro-bono, but I convinced him to ask for a fee. So he made a proposal, wrote a contract, and submitted it. He gets $80 a month, so it is nothing crazy, but at least he has paid experience for his resume and he is making great connections for a future long term job. He went ahead and did the work for the annual 5k (the website build and fundraising) as pro-bono though... which I think was a fair compromise.

This woman has skills :) She needs to set up a contract with fees associated, give a proposal, and get paid for her input.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2012, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hope you were able to convince her.  Even though I had fewer years of service than many of my co-workers, I was soon the "resident expert" on nearly everything in the social work/case management dept at the hospital where I worked.   In my last few months there, I spent considerable time creating shared files with loads of information.  I wrote a very complete manual for the person taking my job, and spent weeks giving trainings to other people in the dept on numerous topics (these were all things that everyone should have known anyway, but evidently just found it easier to float along).  The first few weeks after I quit (home with a new baby, recovering from a c-section, exhausted), I was getting about a dozen phone calls and/or emails a day.  I helped for a while because some of these people were my friends, and I thought they just needed a bit of help to get on their feet.  It soon became clear that the old pattern of  low initiative, "we'll just ask sarah how to handle this" that I had put up with as an employee was not going to stop.  I called my old boss to ask who in human resources I should speak with about working from home as a consultant.  Magically, the calls and emails ceased.  

Your friend's company can either pay her fair consultation fees, or pay to send her replacement to training.  She owes them nothing at this point for free.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 4
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2012, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ponderosa @ Feb. 03 2012, 12:29 pm)
 I called my old boss to ask who in human resources I should speak with about working from home as a consultant.  Magically, the calls and emails ceased.  

Excellent move on your part.  I will pass along that suggestion to M.

--------------

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 5
SCKuhn Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2012, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think there is actually more to this legally as well.....  As I understand it companies that hire an employee to do a job can not have 'volunteers' doing the same job.
My wording is a bit off, but the point is, if the State Dept of Jobs & Family Service, Bureau of Workers Comp, or other government 'employment' agency knew this was going on I think the company would be in for some serious explaining. The Fair Labor Standards Act should cover her.
Snoop around the US Dept of Labor website a bit..... they probably owe her back pay!!!
 Post Number: 6
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2012, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SCKuhn @ Feb. 03 2012, 1:36 pm)
I think there is actually more to this legally as well.....  As I understand it companies that hire an employee to do a job can not have 'volunteers' doing the same job.
My wording is a bit off, but the point is, if the State Dept of Jobs & Family Service, Bureau of Workers Comp, or other government 'employment' agency knew this was going on I think the company would be in for some serious explaining. The Fair Labor Standards Act should cover her.
Snoop around the US Dept of Labor website a bit..... they probably owe her back pay!!!

That's a very good point.    I will mention that to M when I call her next week.

--------------

5 replies since Feb. 02 2012, 11:55 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Value your knowledge and working skills!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions