2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Rain Pants, Petite< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 12:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did search first!  Looking for rain pants (for summer) and I'm 5'2".

These come up with a quick search on REI and Backcountry.com - I'd probably prefer to spend under $100.  And I'd rather buy a petite size instead of having something hemmed.

REI Taku - $169
Sierra Designs Hurricane $49
Marmot Precip - $70

Any other shorties have good rain pant they'd recommend?  I'm not opposed to buying boys' pants, either.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not petite, but if you have the figure for it, Campmor has pretty decent rain pants for boys (I think they have the SD pants, as well as their own name brand) for great prices.  Check them out.  They tend not to have as many features, but the price is right.  My boys have the Campmor brand, and they are probably more semi-breathable than truly breathable, but do seem to be waterproof (we tested them pretty good last summer in the Weminuche).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am 5'2 and I use the new Marmot Precip with the zipper. Its reasonably priced. It is thin, so it wouldn't hold up for  cross country travel.  For general backpacking in bad weather, or wind for the price, its a good deal. One thing though, the short size goes down almost to the bottom of my boots.
 Post Number: 4
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2012, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Taku pants and use them for downhill skiing.  I wouldn't call them rain pants and definitely not a summer pant.

I know you said petites (and I'm only 5' 2", too, so I can relate) but GoLite has their Tumalo pants on sale for $49.  2.5 layer WPB, 7oz.  Hard to resist for that price.

I have an old pair of EMS hardshell pants that I used to ski in that's uninsulated and light enough for summer hiking.  Not sure what they make now but I bet it comes in petite/short sizes.  Mine has the full zippers.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 5
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2012, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 5'2", have the women's Precips (not specifically petite, as far as I know) and I actually think they're a little short for me.  With a 28.5" inseam, maybe my legs are a little long for my height?

I like the Precips though - they have held up well.

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 6
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2012, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to hear about the Marmot Precips - I'm leaning towards those because it
s a decent price and I already have the Marmot Precip jacket which I'm happy with.

Thanks!

--------------
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 7
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2012, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just curious, where will you be in the summer that is cool enough to need rain pants?

I have the Marmot Precip pants, but have only used them as another layer for warmth or wind protection.  

If it is warm enough and I am on the move I just use a poncho as rain protection for me and the pack.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 8
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2012, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Feb. 15 2012, 2:22 pm)
If it is warm enough and I am on the move I just use a poncho as rain protection for me and the pack.

That's how we do it down here in the hot, humid south.

I don't own rain pants. But I can wear my base liner under my zip off pants if I need extra warmth.

My rain jacket from Columbia is also more a wind breaker. But I wear it in the rain because the armpits have zippers for breathability.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 9
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2012, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Deborah, I usually only wear my rain pants when stopped, but last August in the Weminuche we had some days when we had to push through wet brush late in the day.  Rain pants were definitely good then.  When I used to hike in shorts, I used the rain pants more, too.  They are more crucial for us non-poncho people :)

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 10
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2012, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Feb. 15 2012, 2:22 pm)

True, which is why I have yet to invest in rain pants.

They're actually (primarily) for another rafting trip - not for the whitewater days (when I'll wear neoprene) but the floating days - last year we had a rainy day and I was soaked through and shivering by the time we got to camp.  Some lightweight waterproof pants would have been lovely.

But, I can see me also wearing them in spring or fall for rainy day hikes.

--------------
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 11
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Firedancer - if you're going to be using them for sitting activities, go for the longer pair that will cover your boot tops if you need them to (funnelling cold rain into the shoe isn't nearly as fun as you'd like it to be).  Pants are always shorter when you're sitting ;)

Or do what I do, I pair short gaiters under the pants to act as shingles.  I will say that the most use my rain pants and gaiters get is for snowshoeing in the wintertime!

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 12
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Feb. 15 2012, 5:43 pm)
They're actually (primarily) for another rafting trip - not for the whitewater days (when I'll wear neoprene) but the floating days - last year we had a rainy day and I was soaked through and shivering by the time we got to camp.  Some lightweight waterproof pants would have been lovely.

I can see the need for them in that situation.  

The Precip pants are a good option.

--------------

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 13
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Feb. 15 2012, 4:30 pm)
Deborah, I usually only wear my rain pants when stopped, but last August in the Weminuche we had some days when we had to push through wet brush late in the day.  Rain pants were definitely good then.  When I used to hike in shorts, I used the rain pants more, too.  They are more crucial for us non-poncho people :)

Yes, I am sure there are situations when they are wonderful when backpacking even in the summer.  

I used to carry a rain jacket and rain pants, not a poncho.  But, I found that never used the pants and, for me, the poncho was easier than the jacket.

--------------

Post Number: 14
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2012, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Feb. 16 2012, 8:21 am)

(RebeccaD @ Feb. 15 2012, 4:30 pm)

Yes, I am sure there are situations when they are wonderful when backpacking even in the summer.  

I used to carry a rain jacket and rain pants, not a poncho.  But, I found that never used the pants and, for me, the poncho was easier than the jacket.

Well, 99% of the time mine are really just "wind pants."  Part of my layer system for avoiding freezing when stopped (I have one of those fun metabolisms that overheats in minutes when moving and becomes totally frozen minutes after stopping, so I have to carry a lot of insulation--and wind-proof outer layers).  Mornings and evenings you'll find me looking like an arctic explorer :D

Hmm.  Rafting on a cold, rainy day.  Sorry, that just doesn't fit the image!  I thought as soon as you got onto a raft the sun came out and all was delightful.   :laugh:

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2012, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Has anyone tried the Eddie Bauer Nisqually rain pants?  

They are on sale now for $59 and come in a petite size, regular price is $79.  I guess the bonus there is I could return them to the store if they don't work.

--------------
Dave Matthews
14 replies since Feb. 14 2012, 12:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Rain Pants
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions