2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Belly Button Piercings, because I didn't think this one through< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nightworks1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2012, 6:21 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Has anyone ever tried to backpack with a belly button piercing?  As someone who loves to do some backwoods trekking and has a few miles under my belt, I think I did a novice move by recently getting a piercing and not thinking through to the, "now strap your pack belt around your waist" part of hiking.  My husband and I may be planning an extended backpacking trip to the Smokies next May, which means I have less than a year to find an answer.  Is there anyone else out there who has crossed this bridge before me?  I know the obvious solution is, "take it out," but at the risk of the piercing closing up, I would at least like to try to find an idea that would allow me to have my cake and eat it, too.   :D

Any help/ideas will be most appreciated!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2012, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In a year, it should be fine to take it out, during the day, while you have the pack on.  Then replace it in the evening.    You would just need to keep it in a safe place during the day.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2012, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have nothing constructive to add about the backpacking part, but did want to say that I forgot I got my belly button pierced in high school (only had it about 6 months as I was pretty allergic to every kind of metal).

Then when I got pregnant, my scar reappeared as my belly grew and my belly button popped out :)

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 4
SauntRR Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 04 2012, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had one for nearly 4 years, and it hasn't been a problem.  Use a low-profile ring that protrudes as little as possible. You can tape it (use first aid tape) if it rubs.  Keep it clean, and it will probably be ok.

--------------
...SAUNTERING is derived "from idle people who roved about the country, under pretense of going a la Sainte Terre," to the Holy Land....  Some, however, would derive the word from sans terre without land or home, which will mean having no particular home, but equally at home everywhere.   Thoreau
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2012, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the input!  So, just to show you how much I really don't know about the hole I just put in my stomach...what are low-profile belly button rings (insert sheepish look here).

Van, I love your icon.  Reminds me of a few places we've been to when FL is a little more enjoyable for hiking :D.
 Post Number: 6
SCKuhn Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2012, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Had mine for probably 10 yrs.... wow didn't realize that til just now!!! :p
Never had an issue with mine and backpacking.... but I would go for a ring and not something that might catch on your hipbelt, shorts, or whatever.
 Post Number: 7
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 28 2012, 9:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nightworks1 @ Aug. 05 2012, 9:07 am)
Thanks for the input!  So, just to show you how much I really don't know about the hole I just put in my stomach...what are low-profile belly button rings (insert sheepish look here).

Van, I love your icon.  Reminds me of a few places we've been to when FL is a little more enjoyable for hiking :D.

I would use a ball ring which is not a ring at all but two balls on a curved metal rod.

Dont use the true ring with the snap-on ball type.

Dont use anything that dangles past your belly button.

Also if the ring bothers you when you hike, you can try the tape method. Use a small cotton ball with tape over that if ring bothers you that much.

When you get home, change out to what you like to wear.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2012, 7:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nightworks1 @ Aug. 05 2012, 10:07 am)

Picture was taken at Hontoon Island State Park, in Volusia County Florida.

I like Florida during the hiking season. Right now, I am melting.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2012, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

because life didn't just get busy or anything...

thanks again for the information regarding what to potentially look for.  we just had what I hope is "the turn" in florida (where weather suddenly becomes livable), and i have a feeling backpacking is about to commence in earnest.  at least two of my daypacks are ok and don't irritate my bellybutton at all, but i'm still not quite sure about the overnight pack.  i think that will end up being more of an issue.  i loaded it up once or twice, and it definitely gives me a little cause for concern.  i'm hoping once it heals a little more, i'll be able to take the bellybutton ring out without having the hole close up in about 7 seconds...

van, i know exactly where you're talking about!  we're in that general area, and after having hiked the area spots, we turned our sites and are (still) making our way through the ocala portion of the FT as time and heat permit.  it's now getting further and further to our trail head, so i have a feeling some of our smaller, impromptu trips will find us back in some of our first stomping grounds!

thanks again and happy hiking!!
8 replies since Aug. 03 2012, 6:21 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Belly Button Piercings
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions