2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Where have all the women gone?, no activity in this forum< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Hyking1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 5:34 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just checking in and was surprised that there were no posts in this forum :(  What are all you ladies up to? I am working on trip plans for this summer in The Three Sisters Wilderness.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have not been out much.  A new job is keeping me busy.  But, I do have some vacation time this year and will try to spend at least part of it in the mountains.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a baby (see the child birth thread). Now I am back to work, a new job also.

Hoping to get my little family out a few times this year, I miss sleeping in a tent!

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 4
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I post when I can. Between three kids now and my writing, my free time is slipping away rapidly. Who knew kids could keep one so busy? :-D

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 5
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 8:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess we just haven't had any gender-specific topics to discuss.  Plus, the whole place seems in a bit of a mid-winter slump (and just when I'm spending all day on line looking for distractions).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 6
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Busy with the baby, my job, and planning a road trip to CO :)

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 7
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Busy picking fights in the Political forum.  :)

I'm a cold weather weenie.  If it snows, I venture out to ski, then right back inside.  An annual February trip to Mexico keeps me sane.

Doing a little gear scheming but, otherwise, next BP trip is late March/early April.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 8
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just got home from having my 3 and 5 year old girls fitted for x-country ski boots.  Well, the 3 year old will be 4 in two weeks.  We're going to spend a couple of days this weekend at a state park with a great winter trail system, returning at night to a little cabin with a hot tub.  It will be the little one's first time on boots.  I'm not sure how it's going to go; she was pretty mad at the ski shop that the boots were navy blue instead of pink and yellow with princesses. Wish me luck.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 9
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 9:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL, Ponderosa!  

Have a great weekend.  Returning to a warm cabin with a hot tub is my favorite way to do winter stuff.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 10
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oops, double post.

Just shows how envious I am of your weekend plans.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 11
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hyking1 @ Jan. 13 2013, 5:34 pm)
What are all you ladies up to?

Playing at doctoring. It's a wee bit busy.  :p
 Post Number: 12
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where have all the women gone?

Scared off by the childbirth thread  :laugh:

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 13
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Too old to be interested in the childbirth thread, except perhaps for my grandkids.  I'm a great-grandma now.   :)
I kind of got po'd when the thread we had in this forum about guns got pulled.  The topic is accepted in the gear forum but 'somebody' decided it wasn't appropriate for the women's forum, I guess.
Lots of great women on these boards.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 14
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, now that I've managed to stay put for longer than 6 months at a time, I find myself with more time to hike and post.  Last year wasn't so great for either. Glad to see the backside of it.  Changed jobs (not careers, though) and that has helped. Being back home in my beloved Olympics certainly improves my day/hike time ratio.  :)

Planning on getting BerryPicker up to speed this year so she can solo if she wants.  She's going to be 18 this year, so I need to quit hogging all the cooking duties.   :p
 Post Number: 15
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, but will you give up fire duties? :D Hehe!!

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 16
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the childbirth thread as an outlet for the grandmotherly instincts.  I'm sure as heck not going there again myself!

Ldyblade, maybe if you get Berrypicker up to speed on camp cooking (and how did she get to be 18, anyway?) maybe she could come teach my boys.  Maybe they'd be more interested in learning from her than they are from me . .  .

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sar, I did get her kit together this weekend  and included plenty of firestarter, so yes...sigh...I need to let go and let her do some of the firemaking.  

Rebecca, boys always did pay attention better when there is a girl involved.  Attention to the task at hand? Not so much.  :laugh: She's got a ways until she is eighteen yet, as she is a December baby, but maybe if I keep saying it, it won't be such a smack in the face when we get there, eh?
 Post Number: 18
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You sound like me.  ES is 16 in October.  I'm trying to adjust in advance (maybe even worse that my baby is 14 in May!).

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 19
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi, I'm new (but second time around, so I recognize a lot of the characters :) ) I'm Sarah.

My mom was my hiking partner for a long time. In fact we hiked and backpacked the first 647 miles of the PCT together over the last 9 years and then one day she said she was done...and then a week later she said she wasn't, lol. But during that week I realized that I really had no other backpacker friends. Oh no! My husband isn't into it at all and my BF is only interested in car camping so....I joined a couple of meet-up groups.

I have a quick trip for a wedding to San Fran and I'm going to spend two days in Point Reyes backpacking. It's my first solo and my husband is really stressing about it....but not enough for him to go, of course. Then at the end of February I'm going to Joshua Tree and bringing my five year old. Oh My! We'll see how that goes.

It's nice to be back. I really hope the woman's board gets going again!

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 20
ladybigfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i am 72 and long time hiker,tent camper. in nov and dec i was in 2 different states and was discriminated against. anything like this happen to any of you? i would like to get people interested in stopping such actions. nov. 22, i was legally camped,space paid for , staff knew i was there. in winter office closed, but staff member stops to pick up mail and space rent. one of my favorite places to camp,days of 76 campground in deadwood,sd, a little cold,a little snow on ground, somebody in town thought i shouldnt be in tent in cold. about 9 pm sheriff deputy and city cop came by,said i had to leave. why,i asked. cop said because we will get annoying calls all night worrying about you. i had them call a motel in spearfish, and deputy drove me. had to leave all my gear. cost 60$ total both ways to take gear back to motel.   i did get a refund of camp rent for that night. trying to get reimbursed for cab fare from city and county. i have friends in deadwood i think can help with that. then in dec, i went to caballo lake campground in sw  new mexico. a state place,and paid 100$ for a years pass to any nm state camp. within days because rangers had not seen me (i like to hike about ten miles every day) and it was a little cold they called a friend in las cruces who has power of atty for me. she has been friend for 14 yrs. told the ranger that is my lifestyle. ranger asked people around camp about me. one old man about my age told them to respect their elders. good for him. a couple in rv, with a jeep wrangler said rangers were thinking of doing "something " with me !!!! they invited me to stay with them. took care of ranger problem. when they left ,went through las cruces and took me to bus station so i could return to sd.  all this in less than 30 days. i did go by ranger office and give them some survival tips. emailed state camps main office about policy change to talk casually to camper instead of going behind their back and embarassing them. no reply yet. will contact gov. soon.  they owe me apology.
 Post Number: 21
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jan. 13 2013, 5:35 pm)
I guess we just haven't had any gender-specific topics to discuss.  Plus, the whole place seems in a bit of a mid-winter slump (and just when I'm spending all day on line looking for distractions).

Me too! Waiting until I have the written offer in hand before I can give notice is killing me. 2 more days!

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 22
MT78 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not really new but I rarely post. I'm getting ready to move back to Georgia. My kids are excited and we are already planning some camping trips. I'm going to wait till the fall to take them backpacking.

--------------
I'm just a mom spending her free time hiking with her boys.
 Post Number: 23
CRhikesWV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2013, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ladybigfoot, I sure am glad no one has done that to me here in WV; I would be pi$$ed.  Most women I know that go solo are very competent outdoors people, and that is what a lot of folks do not understand.  You do not need strength to be a superb outdoors person.
The funny thing is that I see more solo women than solo men, which goes against the stereotype that a lot of people have.  Guys seem to like to go in packs and women prefer solo or only one or two good friends.
 Post Number: 24
redfox1939 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 1:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just stumble on this thread and I was surprise to see there's a separate forum for women.I had visited some forums about traveling but they don't have this kind of Forums about women,having it separated were kind of bonding moment with women,whether different nations, different attitude,different religions,but we only have one thing in common,it's the strong " woman's intuition".
 Post Number: 25
DonnaWalken Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 2:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Extra tasks at work. Miss the outdoors. But my hubby and I are making plans; hopefully we'll be hiking again within the next 2 months.
 Post Number: 26
jjlvscg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Three Sisters wilderness is beautiful!! I havent been on the trails down there, but want to.  I am planning on doing the Timberline trail this summer(if I can find out more about getting around the Eliot Creek portion where the trail was washed out).  I just started backpacking last summer and fell in love, so I am really looking forward to a longer trip.

--------------
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.

John Muir
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check on status and trail conditions for ALL of Timberline. It was in really bad shape last year :(
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got my summer planned out. Ben Nevis in Scotland in June, a week in the Sisters in August, and then kayak/canoe camping 5 days on the Green River in October! I will be 68 this fall and have a lot of places to go before I can't.
 Post Number: 29
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SWest @ Jan. 22 2013, 1:51 pm)
Hi, I'm new (but second time around, so I recognize a lot of the characters :) ) I'm Sarah.

My mom was my hiking partner for a long time. In fact we hiked and backpacked the first 647 miles of the PCT together over the last 9 years and then one day she said she was done...and then a week later she said she wasn't, lol. But during that week I realized that I really had no other backpacker friends. Oh no! My husband isn't into it at all and my BF is only interested in car camping so....I joined a couple of meet-up groups.

I have a quick trip for a wedding to San Fran and I'm going to spend two days in Point Reyes backpacking. It's my first solo and my husband is really stressing about it....but not enough for him to go, of course. Then at the end of February I'm going to Joshua Tree and bringing my five year old. Oh My! We'll see how that goes.

It's nice to be back. I really hope the woman's board gets going again!

I've seen you signed up on some of the local meet-ups -you live in Orange County right?  We should hike together sometime.  Problem is my days off are Mon-Wed right now, which limits my hiking partners.  I do have one good one, she's retired so can hike anytime, but her husband is unemployed right now so they are short of money.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ladybigfoot @ Jan. 24 2013, 12:52 pm)
i am 72 and long time hiker,tent camper. in nov and dec i was in 2 different states and was discriminated against. anything like this happen to any of you? i would like to get people interested in stopping such actions. nov. 22, i was legally camped,space paid for , staff knew i was there. in winter office closed, but staff member stops to pick up mail and space rent. one of my favorite places to camp,days of 76 campground in deadwood,sd, a little cold,a little snow on ground, somebody in town thought i shouldnt be in tent in cold. about 9 pm sheriff deputy and city cop came by,said i had to leave. why,i asked. cop said because we will get annoying calls all night worrying about you. i had them call a motel in spearfish, and deputy drove me. had to leave all my gear. cost 60$ total both ways to take gear back to motel.   i did get a refund of camp rent for that night. trying to get reimbursed for cab fare from city and county. i have friends in deadwood i think can help with that. then in dec, i went to caballo lake campground in sw  new mexico. a state place,and paid 100$ for a years pass to any nm state camp. within days because rangers had not seen me (i like to hike about ten miles every day) and it was a little cold they called a friend in las cruces who has power of atty for me. she has been friend for 14 yrs. told the ranger that is my lifestyle. ranger asked people around camp about me. one old man about my age told them to respect their elders. good for him. a couple in rv, with a jeep wrangler said rangers were thinking of doing "something " with me !!!! they invited me to stay with them. took care of ranger problem. when they left ,went through las cruces and took me to bus station so i could return to sd.  all this in less than 30 days. i did go by ranger office and give them some survival tips. emailed state camps main office about policy change to talk casually to camper instead of going behind their back and embarassing them. no reply yet. will contact gov. soon.  they owe me apology.

Wow - I would send a letter for sure

--------------
30 replies since Jan. 13 2013, 5:34 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Where have all the women gone?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions