2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Bra advice?, Solutions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kittysoft Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 6:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking for some input - I will start by stating that I sweat A LOT!    :D  Usually when exercising at a gym/at home it's not a big deal because I can change into a dry bra as soon as I am done exercising.  Last year I resorted to carrying extra bras in my day pack so that when we get back to our vehicle I can immediately change.  I have tried various brands but nothing seems to stay very dry or dry very fast.  I usually wear some sort of "stay dry" shirt and that helps some. So I am wondering what brands people have had good luck with?  

Semi-relevant info (I think) - I usually wear sport bras with racer backs, vary from large B to small C depending on cut.  

Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For excessive sweating, I don't have an answer.
For comfort, as a large breasted woman, I like the Moving Comfort Maia sports bra.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't sweat that much (though it could just be that I rarely work hard enough...) so I can't really speak to the stay dry/quick dry feature but, overall, I really like Patagonia's underwear for hiking.  I'm a C-cup but I rarely wear full-blown sports bras when I hike -- they just make me feel bound and squished, which is OK for a few hours but not days on end.

For hiking, I like breathable bras that I can comfortably wear all day and even sleep in.  I often hike with guys and use tarps, so I try to find ones that I wouldn't mind being seen if I need to do a quick change or do double duty as a bathing suit.

Oh, and this past fall, I picked up an Icebreaker merino wool bra during a black friday sale and, so far, I love it.  Like other wool pieces, I can wear it day after day and it doesn't smell or get out of shape.  It will probably become my bra-of-choice for hiking from now on.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 1:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing I have ever found fails to get soggy feeling and then cold.  I just remove the bra when I'm done hiking or whatever.  I hike with guys, but they are all related to me (though I try to be a little discreet around my sons).  I change in the tent, but don't wear a bra once I'm off the trail.

For daily kind of wear (not super supportive, but enough for my B/C just for walking about--really, for hiking too--Peeb tipped me off last summer to a "Bandini" bra from Target--might be Barely There.  Pretty comfy and pretty good at wicking, but I still want to take it off after a brisk half-mile walk home from work.  But I sweat like a horse.  Still, the bras are comfortable and were 2 for $16, so hard to argue. . .

ETA: on me, the straps don't hit quite right to be ideal under a pack, though okay for dayhikes.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 5
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had good luck with Bali micro-fiber underwire bras - they're not specifically for active wear, but since they are microfiber they don't absorb much moisture and dry quickly.  I buy black so they can do double duty if I do want to swim somewheres...

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 6
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Underwire: the #1 reason I'm glad I'm not very endowed :D

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jan. 19 2013, 12:03 pm)

I hear ya, but I find I don't even notice the underwire in the maia bra.  Really comfortable support.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Jan. 19 2013, 1:22 pm)

I hear ya, but I find I don't even notice the underwire in the maia bra.  Really comfortable support.

Yeah, I don't mind the underwire, the Bali bras are comfortable enough to sleep in.  I have bras without underwire, but I find the shape that underwire gives is a lot more flattering ;)

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Breast enlargements never made sense to me.  Smaller breasts would mean less sagging, less sweating under the breasts, fewer back problems etc.
 Hubby likes them, of course, but he wouldn't care how large I suspect.  
"Anything over a handful is waste."
:D

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Funny, toesnorth, that's what an old boyfriend told me!  My husband seems to agree, though he did look a little panicked when I once said I wanted to shrink mine enough to never need a bra.  I had to assure him that didn't mean I'd make them go away entirely (and, frankly, I will never lose that much weight anyway).

I've become very sensitive to not only rough fabrics (and I find things irritatingly rough that most people never notice), but also to anything tight--like the band around the bottom of the bra.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 11
kittysoft Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the feedback - I have a little too much to be comfortable around camp without a bra and I typically am with the guys, but by now they've all seen them once or twice, so I don't worry too much.  
I have never hiked/camped in under-wire bras but if they dry a little quicker than my typical sports bras I am willing to give them a shot.
 Post Number: 12
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jan. 18 2013, 1:02 am)
For daily kind of wear (not super supportive, but enough for my B/C just for walking about--really, for hiking too--Peeb tipped me off last summer to a "Bandini" bra from Target--might be Barely There.  Pretty comfy and pretty good at wicking, but I still want to take it off after a brisk half-mile walk home from work.  But I sweat like a horse.  Still, the bras are comfortable and were 2 for $16, so hard to argue. . .

ETA: on me, the straps don't hit quite right to be ideal under a pack, though okay for dayhikes.

Yep, those are the ones (I found some size XS at Kohl's as well - they fit me a little better  :p )

Not perfect, and I have yet to try merino (which I love for everything else), but it's the best I've run across for my measly B's and super sweatiness.  They dry the fastest of anything I've had.  Drying > wicking; anything I wear automatically gets soaked LOL!

I've also found that I can't really have seams or clips or adjustable hardwear anyplace, so it's pretty much seamless for me (anything else hits me poorly under pack straps).  But you can double up on the bandinis if you need a little extra support.  Good thing I'm small, I guess.

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 13
gbubbar Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 9:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Out of all the equipment I have researched, tried, and purchased I have to admit finding a multi-purpose, good fitting sports bra that doesn't cost as much as your pack  has been the most difficult. Some that were in my size zone made my back hurt. Ended up buying a larger size, cheap brand in poly/nylon fabric for sweat. Functions as bra, halter, swimsuit.
 Post Number: 14
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 9:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am usually a small B cup, and so I tend to get away without much backpacking. Usually an undershirt with a built in bra. Sometimes a plain sports bra.

I'm nursing right now, so I am a small C cup and I hate having to wear underwire to hold the girls up. And nursing bras are just ugggh. I will still wear a regular old sports bra camping instead of dealing with all that.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 15
Ohiohiker84 Search for posts by this member.
ohiohiker84

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I also sweat a lot, even in the winter.  Since I've tried the merino wool that's all I'll wear, even in the summer (panties and shirts too). They are very comfy (even when sleeping) since there are no underwires, they dry very fast and fit well. I got size large and wear a C.  I wear one and take another and switch off every other day.  I have 3 from Ibex that I got when they were on sale online. Regular price is too costly for me.
 Post Number: 16
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

On multi day hikes I don't bother wearing a bra. After about two hours whatever I'm wearing is soaking wet, not drying and buging the heck out of me so I finally just gave up the ghost and stopped wearing one. Of course I'm not exactly well endowed (barely mosquito bites) so it doesn't really matter. Hubby likes it, so hey it works for us.

On day hikes I wear either Adidas clima cool or Under Armor sport bras. When we're done hiking, the bra comes off and I'm done with it until the next time. Feels liberating to "go commando" =)

I'm going to look into the merino wool tho. I love wearing it for my t shirt so I can imagine a bra would be wonderful too. Gonna look into the undies as well. Now if I could just find pants to suit, all would be well.

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
15 replies since Jan. 16 2013, 6:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Bra advice?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions