2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Bar advice< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 6:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:p  So I am looking for a new beer (dark) and/or wine (white) to lust after.  I like trying new things and even though good, ole' Port Angeles is at the end of the earth, if I request something in to the local Albertsons, sometimes they will bring it in.  Whatcha got?  ???
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And you're asking us girls because we have taste? ;)

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How pathetic am I?  BRA advice, I've got.  BAR advice, I'm drawing a blank...

I'm pretty sure I need a life. :\

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 4
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Moose Drool.
For the name if nothing else... :p

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 5
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 11:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmm...do you have to  get it by the case there? And what price range are we talking about? There's a big difference between, say Dogfish Head Theobroma or Worldwide Stout and Duck-Rabbit Porter.

I'll let the west coast people continue w/this, since I doubt most of our Eastern craft breweries distribute out there.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ Jan. 26 2013, 8:31 pm)
Hmm...do you have to  get it by the case there? And what price range are we talking about? There's a big difference between, say Dogfish Head Theobroma or Worldwide Stout and Duck-Rabbit Porter.

I'll let the west coast people continue w/this, since I doubt most of our Eastern craft breweries distribute out there.

I believe it does have to be at least a case, and I would like to hear what is good on the east side.  I am planning a trip this summer to stroll that way and I am not beyond making 200-300 mile detours to visit breweries or vineyards. Case cost (12 glass bottles) would have to be around $20.  What is this Worldwide Stout and Duck-Rabbit Porter of which you speak?

Rebecca-of course! Besides, I would like feminine conversation about beer and wine. You know, without the chest thumping and can crushing....  :p
 Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Jan. 26 2013, 7:02 pm)
How pathetic am I?  BRA advice, I've got.  BAR advice, I'm drawing a blank...

I'm pretty sure I need a life. :\

That makes two of us.  

I don't drink much beer, though when I do I like a microbrew of some sort (but usually end up with the near-beer my FiL hauls on our spring break desert trips :p ).  Wine, I get whatever Trader Joe has for less than $6 a bottle.

Yeah, actually, if you are looking for taste in this area, I'm the wrong person.  Though I'm very good and avoiding chest-thumps  and never crush my beer (or soda) can on my forehead :)

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 8
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ldyblade @ Jan. 26 2013, 11:51 pm)
I believe it does have to be at least a case, and I would like to hear what is good on the east side.  I am planning a trip this summer to stroll that way and I am not beyond making 200-300 mile detours to visit breweries or vineyards.

Are you road tripping?  On I-90 or I-94?

I'm not really a drinker or even an expert, but if you're heading this way southern WI actually has a few places you might be interested in visiting (we have a slew of small breweries and a small winery that I wouldn't mind visiting once, all close to my house).

If you can get it, and I'm not sure they sell outside of WI, but the New Glarus Brewery gets great press.  Their Spotted Cow is their signature ale.  Plus New Glarus has the BEST Swiss food in the midwest, if you like Swiss food.  Which I do!  Wollershiem Winery is our local vineyard.

Let me know if you're road tripping this way; we've got a few trips planned this summer but maybe I'll be in town if you're passing through.

Nothing says WI like beer and cheese LOL

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 9
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout
Jesterking Black Medal Stout
 Post Number: 10
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love Cupcake wine. The white, the red, even the red velvet :)

For beer, nothing beats a left handed milk stout.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 11
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a big fan of a Bloody Maria - like a Bloody Mary but with tequila instead of vodka.  Except that I've discovered a VAST difference in Bloody Mary mixes: I am a Zing Zang girl, which is a thick, spicy mix.  Mmm mmmmmmm!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 12:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ldyblade @ Jan. 26 2013, 11:51 pm)
 I am planning a trip this summer to stroll that way and I am not beyond making 200-300 mile detours to visit breweries or vineyards. Case cost (12 glass bottles) would have to be around $20.  What is this Worldwide Stout and Duck-Rabbit Porter of which you speak?

Right...so Dogfish Head, Russian River, Ommegang, etc are just plain out.

In that price range around here, I like most porters/stouts/brown ales by Bells (MI), Troegs (PA), Appalachian Brewing Company (PA), Lancaster Brewing Company (PA), Stoudts (PA), Southern Tier (NY), Great Adirondack (NY), Harpoon (NY), Long Trail (VT? great porters!), Otter Creek (VT, very dark, very good), and Duck-Rabbit (NC). The sampler cases from all of the above are usually nice mixes of dark/IPA/wheat if you don't mind hoppy floral stuff now and again.

If you're coming to the MidAtlantic, I'll recommend visits to Troegs, Dogfish Head, Great Adirondack Brewing Co, Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery, and most especially the Weeping Radish. But only if I can come too.  :p

Yuengling in Pottsville, PA gives out free beer on factory tours.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh!  You gals got the "in"! I now have some direction and plan to do some requesting at the local store, though I KNOW we have Cupcake wine here, just haven't tried it. Now I will.  

I do plan on a road trip, peep.  Not sure how far I will get but we plan on going East. Done the Oregon coast to San Fran and not enough time to go North to Alaska, so that left East. I-90 so far.  It's in the summer when BerryPicker can go, so we will be dodging deserts and trying to hide in the trees as we go.   :)

I would love to meet up with some of you lovely ladies along the way if possible. We may not have time for more than a beer or coffee, but shoot me a PM if you are interested in a Pacific Ocean rock and I will do my best to deliver it personally.  :)  Right now, we are going East thru Missoula and then down 15 to 20 and across Yellowstone straight to Cody.  I have family out thatta way.  So far, that's all I got.  I know I want to take the kiddo to Niagra Falls and hoping we have time to hit some other sites. Cajun, we want to come see ya, but I will be keeping one eye on the weather and one on my watch.  It might be a mad dash!
 Post Number: 14
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ldyblade @ Jan. 29 2013, 9:55 pm)
Cajun, we want to come see ya, but I will be keeping one eye on the weather and one on my watch.  It might be a mad dash!

You are always welcome here!!  :)  And I hear there's talk about sending us back to Seattle again ... like serious talk, if the budget allows for it.  *fingers crossed*

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 15
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if you are stayin in CA, Old Rasputin...
 Post Number: 16
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ldyblade @ Jan. 29 2013, 8:55 pm)
Oh!  You gals got the "in"! I now have some direction and plan to do some requesting at the local store, though I KNOW we have Cupcake wine here, just haven't tried it. Now I will.  

I do plan on a road trip, peep.  Not sure how far I will get but we plan on going East. Done the Oregon coast to San Fran and not enough time to go North to Alaska, so that left East. I-90 so far.  It's in the summer when BerryPicker can go, so we will be dodging deserts and trying to hide in the trees as we go.   :)

I would love to meet up with some of you lovely ladies along the way if possible. We may not have time for more than a beer or coffee, but shoot me a PM if you are interested in a Pacific Ocean rock and I will do my best to deliver it personally.  :)  Right now, we are going East thru Missoula and then down 15 to 20 and across Yellowstone straight to Cody.  I have family out thatta way.  So far, that's all I got.  I know I want to take the kiddo to Niagra Falls and hoping we have time to hit some other sites. Cajun, we want to come see ya, but I will be keeping one eye on the weather and one on my watch.  It might be a mad dash!

The guest room is available if you come this way.  I would love to see you two and of course Berrypicker again!

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ldyblade @ Jan. 29 2013, 10:55 pm)
I know I want to take the kiddo to Niagra Falls and hoping we have time to hit some other sites.

Well, if you're going from Niagara to Philadelphia, you're driving right past my place.  :D
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a great trip :)  I loves me a good road trip.

I-90/I-94 will bring you within spitting distance of my house, to be sure, if you are traveling to Niagra through Wisconsin that way.  You might like a trip down through New Glarus to visit their brewery, or to Wollersheim to visit the winery.  If so and you can spare a day we have an outstanding state park about an hour from here and close to 90/94 with good climbing and a deep glacial lake remnant.  The prairie is outstanding in July  :;):  but good almost any time during the summer.  We have a place you could stay if I can talk the DH into it, LOL

Keep me posted!

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I figure out the plans I'll start collecting addys!  Wisconsin has cheese, ya? And Deborah, I am hoping to swing thru Colorado on the way back.  There's a place I've always wanted to see!  :)
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh ya, more cheese, beer and brats than you can shake a stick at, you betcha!  :D

--------------
19 replies since Jan. 26 2013, 6:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Bar advice
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions