2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Second trimester backpacking?, trying to keep it safe< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
NatalieLorin Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 5:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I'm towards the end of my first trimester, and I'm really hoping that my husband and can go on a one "real" backpacking trip before I get too big and the doctor doesn't trust me more than 2 hours from a hospital. Also, we bought a house and remodeled last year instead of traveling. I [need] a trip. Home ownership - a mixed blessing.

Anyway, I'm thinking about something like the Yosemite North Rim hike - possibly coming in from Tamarack or similar instead of doing all the scrambling up the Rockslides trail - in late May or June. That would put me at 22-26 weeks. So far it's just your normal, low risk pregnancy, and I figured that the area between Tioga Road and the valley wasn't such a howling wilderness that it would be particularly risky. Plenty of bail points if for some reason I can't finish the trail.

Any thoughts? I think my husband needs a little convincing, and I'm afraid that I if I mention "backpacking" and "wilderness" to my ob/gyn he's going to pull long faces at me.

--------------
~Big wheels keep on turning
Carry me home to see my kin
Singing songs about the Southland
I miss Alabama once again~
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I backpacked in my 2nd pregnancy, early in my 2nd trimester.  It was a heavier than usual pack for me since I was carrying our toddler on my back along with some gear.  Hubby sherpa'd most of the stuff. If you're fit and without significant risk factors you should be able to continue your normal kinds of activities.  Just pay attention to how you're feeling and don't push too hard.  We were in the Sawtooths on our trip, and I was a little disappointed that I couldn't quite make the mileage I had planned.  I was surprised frankly that I tired as easily as I did, but it was still very worthwhile.  It's pretty hard to backpack with two kids who must be carried, so it was a long time after that before I got to backpack again.  I'm very glad we went.  
I was lucky that my OB is a marathon runner, so she is pretty supportive of activity in pregnancy.  The fact that I didn't mention it to her probably also helped.    :p

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 3
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I walked 2-4 miles daily well into my 3rd trimester of my first pregnancy. I hiked with a day pack for some of it. (I was high risk my 2nd time around, so I did not then).

I'd keep the miles low, bring a good pillow and pad, and drink extra water!!!

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, I think we're going to plan on doing just that. I haven't been as active lately due to first trimester sickies, but I'm hoping I can bounce back. I've got a pretty manageable pack weight - somewhere around 20-30lbs, and we've always been the slow but steady types.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I backpacked when I was 4 months pregnant, and dayhiked and car camped until I was 8 months pregnant.  Go for it :)    The only reason I stopped backpacking was the waistbelt did get to be uncomfortable, even thought I wore it low, and I couldn't carry much weight w/o it clipped.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It really comes down to how YOU feel, how your pregnancy goes and your comfort levels.

I couldn't backpack during either of my 2 & 3rd babies. One, I was severely anemic, two, my babies were so big I couldn't sleep without a body pillow.  Heck, I could barely dayhike. In the pregnancy of my 3rd son, I did ONE hike after finding out I was pregnant. It took me an hour a mile, I was exhausted.

My first son, when I was 23, I was active till 7 months along (when I developed Preeclampsia).

Find your groove and do what feels good. If you don't feel like doing anything, then don't. You may change by the week. How you feel now, it changes by 26 weeks. And changes again by 35 weeks.

Thee is life after kids, and there is plenty of hiking. I knew going into it that when I had 2 & 3 I'd be effectively giving up backpacking for a few years. Now with #3 a year old, mama has her groove back :)

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're slow pokes on the trail anyway so a mile an hour doesn't sound so bad so long as I can hike more than four miles at a time :) Also, we're totally planning on trying this kid out at Cumberland Island. This kid is going to get a first camping trip before 12 months if I have say at all about it! (So long as they aren't the "wake up screaming for hours in the middle of the night" kind. I'd prefer to be awesome mom and not evil mom.)

--------------
 Post Number: 8
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Infants do well camping and hiking :) They sleep a lot....lol!!

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 9
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, we got my girl car camping at 6 weeks and then my guy went on his first backpacking trip at 3 months old (while the girl was 3). We do a lot of car camping and canoe camping with two little ones. But the whole point is to get outdoors!

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2013, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another one who both backpacked pregnant (though not with the second, at least not after about the first 3 weeks :D ) and took the infants camping.  Second Son did a road trip at 3 weeks, and a camping trip about a week after that (I declined to sleep on the ground on our way to CO that year, but the baby was fine).

I backpacked at the end of the 3rd trimester with the first kid, and was fine, though I tired easily (and got cranky with the guys who didn't seem to pull their weight regarding camp chores!).  We did a camping trip and some long dayhikes at about 5 months.  By then I didn't want a hip belt, and by 7 months sleeping on the ground was too uncomfortable to do for more than 2 nights (I know, because we did it, and after 2 nights ended up doing a very long drive to get to a bed instead for the 3rd night).

The issue about hip belts is in some ways the big limiting factor, assuming you are having a worry-free pregnancy.  Once you can't fasten that, the weight you can carry gets awfully small.

Our two are only 18 months apart, so we went through a few years with two little one too small to hike much.  We still got out, largely due to my father-in-law subsidizing the use of packers so we could basecamp in the wilderness.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 11
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2013, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I found it easy to take the baby camping, harder to go backpacking but still doable for short/easy trips.  Breastfeeding helped in many ways - no bottles or formula to tote around, and if the baby wakes up in the middle of night it's easy enough to feed/soothe him right there in the tent.  His first car camping trip was at 3 months, first BP trip at 6 months.  He had 11 bag nights his first year :)  But he's been teething and sick off and on the past two months, so we haven't been out camping recently, but we have gone on lots of day hikes.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
10 replies since Mar. 12 2013, 5:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Second trimester backpacking?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions