2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hiking skirts?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
pudgy_groundhog Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 9:38 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have a trip this summer where we'll be hiking and staying in mountain huts. I'm going to be really conscious of pack weight and am thinking about clothes that can do double duty (can hike in and can wear casually).  Light weight and quick drying is a plus too.  I was thinking of trying out a hiking skirt. If you hike in a skirt, are there any brands in particular you like? What do you wear under your skirt?  TIA!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kilts. Good for both sexes. And... nothing.... :p

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
DonnaWalken Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 2:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haven't tried hiking skirts although I've read about them. Maybe it's worth trying on my next hike. Still doubtful though.
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an REI hiking skort, which ensures that you don't do any peep shows :D

I use it for camouflage when we go into town while out on our longer trips.  

I think it was an earlier version of this: http://www.rei.com/product/843984/rei-rendezvous-skort

I like the looks of this new one better.  This one also looks pretty good for wearing into town: http://www.rei.com/product/846155/marmot-oasis-cargo-skort

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was just looking at the Marmot skirt! We don't have an REI nearby, but there might be a chance I can hit one up in the next month (especially if it's an item I haven't worn before, I like to try on). I like the other one you posted too. Those look pretty durable and can double for both hiking and casual wear.
 Post Number: 6
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not a big fan of skorts.  Feels like too many layers if I wear underwear underneath and, if I don't, it needs laundering too often for travel.  But I have a few knit pull-on skirts that I love for travelling and will pair them with "slipshorts" if I'm going to be clamoring around rocks or whatever.  The ones I have are made by Jockey, I think.  They're opaque but not too thick and could pass for compression shorts or knit board shorts.  You can also wear them under a dress and, paired with a sports bra, they'd work as an impromptu bathing suit.

For travel skirts and dresses (and more, for that matter), I really like Title Nine (titlenine.com).  Not inexpensive; I usually wait for their sales.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 7
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was day hiking in Sagurao National Park near Tucson last month and came upon a big strapping guy wearing a skirt. It was not a kilt. I must say he looked odd, but happy.
Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 8
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 7:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rics @ Mar. 28 2013, 1:53 pm)
I was day hiking in Sagurao National Park near Tucson last month and came upon a big strapping guy wearing a skirt. It was not a kilt. I must say he looked odd, but happy.
Rics

The difference between a skirt and a kilt is in the perverted mind of the beholder. :D

A man gets at least one advantage from a kilt that a woman won't  experience. Moreover, most men don't have to worry about starting forest fires with the sparks from friction from thigh rub.  

Other than that, we could (albeit arbitrarily) distinguish kilts from skirts based on function. We could say a kilt is designed for movement, a skirt is designed for fashion.  

Most "kilts" for women are not designed for hiking but rather for fashion.  Notice the difference in the picture below (from sportkilts' website).  Of course, a woman could wear a men's type kilt, she just wouldn't look as fashionable.

Post Number: 9
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Too right, No Gods.  And this old lady is getting tired of all the outdoor clothing (especially fitness wear) being all about looking sexy, rather than comfort.  I can't look all that sexy no matter what, and Id rather be comfy.

Dumbest thing: cold-weather running shirts (you know--long sleeves, warm fabric) that end about the belly button.  The shorts, of course, only go up to about mid-hip.  Hello?  I'd like to cover ALL my skin!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 10
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 7:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to wear one of these.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 11
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now I mostly hike in long pants, for better protection from sun,bugs, and vicious plants.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 12
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Too bad Mataharihiker is no longer with us...  she used to hike in a long skirt.  She said it made it real easy to water the trees, lol

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 13
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 1:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lilmountaingirl (is that how she spells it?) likes to wear a skirt for hiking.  She isn't here much recently, but would probably respond if you sent her a pm with your questions.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 14
juliaann Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mountain Hardwear makes awesome skirts.  They are cute on, and have a light fleecey type material around the waist and go a little higher in the back to accommodate backpacks and prevent rubbing.  (They also make the hiking pants that are the most flattering for your heiney.)
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the responses everybody.  Unfortunately, nobody around here carries skirts and I'd like to try one on in person - hopefully will hit REI on a weekend trip in June. I like the looks of the Mountain Hardware. I'm still not sure if I will be hiking in the skirt - but I at least want it to be an option. With limited space all my clothes have to be able to do double duty!
 Post Number: 16
slowly walking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 6:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi,

I've hiked in skirts for at least ten years and can't imagine going back.  I wear Macabi skirts.  They are on-line.  Their website shows different ways to wear their skirts.  I don't want to sound like a sales person for them, but these skirts are designed for travel.  Huge pockets, supplex nylon so it dries fast.  I have the long version because my skin really doesn't like the sun.  My legs stay cool and flying insects are kept away by the moving material.  It's very easy on the trail to add or subtract clothing under the skirt, where my friends who hike in shorts are a bit more exposed.

In summer under the skirt I wear a Cuddl Dud "bloomer" type thing.  It's cotton on the inside and nylon on the outside.  Cuddl Dud doesn't make this item any more, so when this one falls apart I'll have to modify one of their long pants.  In winter I wear long johns under it.

These skirts are great.  I have several and regularly wear them to work and for travel.

Have a great trip.
 Post Number: 17
celestialdancer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2013, 3:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just wear some sport shorts that are nylon and black. Those work well.. I wouldn't wanna hike in a skirt becuase bugs will easily go up in there lol.
 Post Number: 18
prairiechicken Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

with the kind of hiking i do, i just can't see a skirt being practical. a longer skirt would catch if too full and limit full leg mobility for scrambles if too narrow. i tried a north face skort, but i have the thigh-rubbing problem. y' know, thighs rub against each other resulting in sore and unsightly rash. shorts need to be just above the knee for me to fully escape this problem. so think about this: are you able to walk around town on a really hot day with a skirt and sweaty legs and be comfortable? if the answer is no, then don't do it hiking. if you were blessed with thin thighs and this is not a concern, then wear whatever you are comfortable wearing.
 Post Number: 19
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 12:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Totally agree, prairiechicken.  That's why I like the skort--I need something between my legs.

On a similar note, my Mom finally gave up, took a step back quite a few decades, and made herself a pair of cotton "bloomers" to wear under skirts (not for hiking, but for whenever she needs to wear a skirt).  Cotton wouldn't do for hiking, but if I needed to wear a skirt (say for travel in places that don't approve of pants/shorts on women) I would need to wear some kind of long shorts underneath.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 20
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This year I'm going to do something completely different, I'm hiking in athletic shorts. Soo tired of trying to find some mythical combination of pants, shorts or whatever that fit. Seems like every pair of pants I've tried are way too long, sit way too low on my hips or just fit funky. I figure athletic shorts are lightweight, easily packable and dry quickly. I'm also taking along a pair of my long nylon pants as well if I need some protection. We shall see what happens, I swear it can't be any worse than ill-fitting pants.

Haven't worn a skirt since graduation some 25 years ago. Not a skirt or dress type of girl...they go against the tomboy in me :D

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
 Post Number: 21
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't imagine hiking in a skirt... I already get scabs, cuts and scrapes right through my pants.

And the pants - I've busted out of six pairs of nice nylon hiking pants in the past couple of years - worn the seat out of them, ripped along the seams, torn them on branches...

Yeah. Thinking I just need sturdier pants.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 22
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 1:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyadogs, I hear you about the pants!  I can't get a pair that truly fits, and I think about going back to wearing running shorts.  But I do like the bug protection of long pants (well, bugs and irritating plants, and sun).  I just wish I could find a pair that fit well.  I'm beginning to think I'll just size up and let them be baggy where they are too big, so as to get a comfortable waist.  And the heck with how they look.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 23
prairiechicken Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I found a pair of nylon capris that I really like. It's a compromise between shorts and pants. I look like a goof with my big socks and stuff always gets into my shoes, but I don't care.
22 replies since Mar. 24 2013, 9:38 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hiking skirts?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions