2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: tent camping, at night< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bette Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 1:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What do you do or use when you tent camp and need to use 'the facilities' but you don't want to go outside? I've tried a large zip lock bag, but that can be messy, especially in a tiny tent.  I envy the guys with their pee bottles. Ladies, any suggestions???
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My 2˘ from flying small planes... lady jane

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Frankly, I get up and go outside.  Even when it's cold.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Islandized Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 6:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A ziploc! I wouldn't even try that once.

There's all kinds of devices on the market now, go-girls and she-whizzes and whatnot, so you could try pairing one of those with a bottle. Or make your own from a funnel or plastic bottle. Works for some.

The other way to go is a chamber pot. A large milk carton works, weighs little, and folds flat for packing. But you can't really seal the top, so you'd have to be careful not to spill. A paper clamp helps, but it won't be leakproof.

A small plastic ice cream container, on the other hand, has a tight lid. Also doesn't weigh much. If you fill it with other things (clothes, food) the bulkiness won't be too noticeable in your pack. The semi-rectangular shape works best I think.

It certainly does add to quality of camp life when you don't have to decide between getting your clothes drenched or putting on full raingear to go out into a storm in the middle of the night.
 Post Number: 5
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ May 01 2013, 6:06 pm)

+1. The plan for if it's ever too cold or wet (it hasn't been yet, through -15* and a tropical storm) is a wide-mouth dedicated water bottle. But it would have to be really bad out for that to happen. I rather enjoy the feeling of returning to a warm dry sleeping bag on the rare occasions this occurs...
 Post Number: 6
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ May 01 2013, 8:13 pm)

(RebeccaD @ May 01 2013, 6:06 pm)

+1. The plan for if it's ever too cold or wet (it hasn't been yet, through -15* and a tropical storm) is a wide-mouth dedicated water bottle. But it would have to be really bad out for that to happen. I rather enjoy the feeling of returning to a warm dry sleeping bag on the rare occasions this occurs...

Yes.  I also have a profound distrust of my ability to pee in the tent without making a mess I would get to regret for the rest of the trip (at least).  If I know it's going to rain all night, I make sure I don't drink too much before bed :)

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I try to stay out of these topics, as they do not apply to my gender, but I have a suggestion.  On those stormy nights when you really do not want to go outside in the middle of the night, take a benadryl.  It knocks me out for nearly 8 hours, and I have little in the way of drug induced wooziness the next morning.  I know this because sometimes when I am bug bitten beyond sanity, I use this method to get some rest.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ May 02 2013, 9:20 am)
 On those stormy nights when you really do not want to go outside in the middle of the night, take a benadryl.

Yeah but...
Two old guys were talking and one complained about difficulty in peeing first thing in the morning. The other said "Not me. I urinate every morning right at 6am on the dot!"
The other guy says "That's great!" and the one says "Not really. I don't wake up 'til 7...".

Point being... knocked out may work for you but some can't hold that long. I'm one who gets up at least once, sometimes twice, during the night (reason enough to solo tent) and although it's easier for men,  I can understand others wanting to know how.

--------------

Post Number: 9
Bette Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

at home I don't get up during the night, but usually camping at least twice a night. I've tried Benadryl, it doesn't even make me sleepy. I used to go out and walk away from the campsite, but one night I walked too far ( no lite of course!) and couldn't find my way back. Don't do that anymore.  I like the pee bottle idea, it's just figuring out which one will work best for me. Are they messy? Is there a problem with 'hitting the mark'?
 Post Number: 10
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 8:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bette--that's funny.  I get up much more at home.  And I seldom go far from the tent, for exactly the reason you mention!  I have never tried the bottle, but worry about exactly the problem you do.

Zeke--if I take a Benedryl I'm a zombie the whole next day.  I prefer to schedule my hydration to minimize nighttime disruptions.  This is definitely a problem that increases with age, however.  Back BC (before children) I never got up in the night.  Kids.  It's all their fault.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 11
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 2:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm another who just heads outside.  We have absolutely no extra room in the tent for trying to maneuver a pee bottle or chamber pot in the dark.  I used to try to wait for morning and try to get back to sleep, but I've learned it's much better to just get up and get it over with.  For one thing, I sleep warmer if I don't have to pee.  
The only trip I really wished for another option was on a week long car camping/road trip when I was seven months pregnant.  It rained and/or sleeted every single night, and I had to get up at least three times a night.  I wasn't a happy camper that trip.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 12
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ha, Ponderosa, you still did better than me.  At 7 months pregnant, I managed one night on the ground, then had to give up and use a bed from there out.  My back gave me holy heck, so that I don't even remember if getting up in the night was a problem!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 13
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bette @ May 02 2013, 1:34 pm)
I like the pee bottle idea, it's just figuring out which one will work best for me. Are they messy? Is there a problem with 'hitting the mark'?

Depends on your definition of messy. I would have some mechanism of washing/drying your hands available if necessary.
"Hitting the mark" should not be a problem with a wide-mouth bottle. I've done it in a rocking canoe with the top cut off a 20oz Gatorade bottle. No mess. <-- and off the ooc thread I go.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh... if you do use a bottle, make absolutely sure you can tell the difference from your water bottle in the dark...  :laugh:

--------------

Post Number: 15
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I get up.  There should be no pee in the tent, ever.  Never pee where you sleep. That applies to any males who may be in the same tent.
 Post Number: 16
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Usually can hold it until morning, but there are some nights I can't, and then I get up and go outside.   I consider it an opportunity to look at the stars.  

Went camping with wycanislatrans and his wife in Joshua Tree when I was 7 months pregnant...  thankfully didn't have to get up that night.  I actually slept very well - my Big Agnes air mattress seemed more comfortable than my bed at home.  Only problem was my bag wouldn't zip up past my belly, lol.  Thankfully I remembered to bring my down quilt to cover the bump ;)  We got a little bit of snow that night and it was chilly.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 11:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ May 03 2013, 9:32 pm)
I get up.  There should be no pee in the tent, ever.  Never pee where you sleep. That applies to any males who may be in the same tent.

Maybe but marking the corners of the tent as territory keeps Bigfoot away. After all, I've never had a Bigfoot bother me in my tent so it must work.... right?  :p

--------------

Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 3:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ May 03 2013, 8:42 pm)
Ha, Ponderosa, you still did better than me.  At 7 months pregnant, I managed one night on the ground, then had to give up and use a bed from there out.  My back gave me holy heck, so that I don't even remember if getting up in the night was a problem!

Yeah, well, I tried to get a bed.  FYI, if there is a big gymnastics tournament in Tucson, the entire southern half of the state will not have an available hotel room for three nights in a row.  Not the most out of your budget, not the sleaziest motel, and nothing in between. And despite what you've heard, snow in late February is a possibility in southern Arizona.  At least it was in 2007.  The locals kept telling us it was unheard of, but there I was, camping in the rain/snow/sleet.  

On the bright side, the next Christmas hubby got me a full length Downmat because I'd complained so much about my back hurting on that trip with my old 3/4 length.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 3:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought of another night during that same pregnancy that I did not enjoy getting up in the night.  We skied into a yurt on a night that was 30 below zero.  The yurt had a little woodstove, but that did me little good when I had to go out in the snow to pee three times.  Sooooo miserably cold. Guess whose job it was to stoke the fire during the night, ya know, since "you'll be up anyway."

--------------
 Post Number: 20
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ May 03 2013, 11:57 pm)

(spindle @ May 03 2013, 9:32 pm)

Maybe but marking the corners of the tent as territory keeps Bigfoot away. After all, I've never had a Bigfoot bother me in my tent so it must work.... right?  :p

No.  I've gotten Sasquatch in the tent regardless of marked territory.

The only thing that keeps Bigfoot at bay is the Shesquatches.  They don't like to be nagged about not peeing everywhere.
 Post Number: 21
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ May 03 2013, 11:55 pm)
Usually can hold it until morning, but there are some nights I can't, and then I get up and go outside.   I consider it an opportunity to look at the stars.  

I catch my best night sky views this way  :)

Hawaii comes to mind as being particularly outstanding in that regard  :laugh:

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 22
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I pee 30 times a day on a regular good day (small bladder, drink tons of water, still nursing).

When camping, we got a two door tent so I don't have to crawl over the hubby to pee. Happens at least once, if not twice a night. Here in FL it ain't bad. I like the stars.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 23
Nurseleti Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm brand new to backpacking, but I use this when camping:

http://www.amazon.com/Kinsman....+urinal

Not that exact one but something very similar.
 Post Number: 24
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 8:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ May 03 2013, 11:32 pm)
Never pee where you sleep.

:laugh:   I feel the same way.  So does my dog.  :)

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 25
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ May 03 2013, 11:32 pm)

No doubt!  Although, I'm still lucky enough that I don't usually need to get up in the middle of the night (yet, I know)

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
24 replies since May 01 2013, 1:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply tent camping
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions