2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Period Planning, Any ideas would be appreciated< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Desertbound Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 1:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Ladies!
I am new to this forum and looking for some advice.  I will be attempting a 7 day, roughly 80 miles, backpacking trip in August on the HIghline Trail in the High Uintahs  in Utah with my husband and 2 other guys.  Most of the trail is above 10,000 feet and the timberline.  I am also expecting to be on my period for 5 of those days :(.  Any new, wonderful products out there or any advice on dealing with it?  I really don't want to bail out and I really don't want to feel anxious about it either.  
Thanks!
Heather
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you ever used a Diva cup? Or any other reusuable cup? That might be the best way to go, just dig a cathole and rinse out with a squeeze bottle and antiseptic wet wipe. You can even boil them in water a few times to give it a good clean if your pot is big enough.

I have not used one yet. (I am still post partum and nursing from my 2nd babe), but I plan to when my period comes back.

Otherwise, zip lock bags and OB tampons (the ones without the applicator) are another good choice. Bring extra underwear because of odor and wash them often. They can hang dry over night.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 3
Desertbound Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 9:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used a cup before and it was pretty messy.  The boiling tip and extra underwear is a good idea.  Maybe I just need some practice and some patience :)  I also like the OB brand tampon for the trail.  Thanks so much!
 Post Number: 4
freedomseeker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd never heard of the Diva Cup until this thread.  It sounds sorta terrifying.  I did a 5 day backpacking trip in the UP last year, while I had my period.  I brought a gallon zip lock bag for disposal and changed frequently (both underwear and tampon).  I was comfortable and felt discrete about it.  Sometimes just doing the usual thing is the most comfortable.

--------------
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean. -John Muir
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
sarahspins Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've not had the best of luck with my diva cup when I really needed to depend on it... it seems like the more I need to rely on it not to leak, the more likely it is to leak, and never just a little bit.  

I would just go the OB route and pack them out myself.
 Post Number: 6
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maxi pads are the same things as wound dressings - so a doctor has told me... dual use! So I usually have a few already in the pack. If expecting something I bring twice the number I think I will need, plus adequate ziplocs and tp and a few individually wrapped wet wipes.

It's not been much of an inconvenience most of the time...

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 1:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done it too.  I use a Diva cup at night (max capacity--I haven't had leakage problems but it's not completely comfortable either), and tampons during the day.  Historically it's not been a problem.  Double-bag the waste, and haul it out.  Take about 1/2 again more than the most you ever need at home, and extra TP or wipes.

However, as I'm nearing the beginning of the end (as it were), my periods have gotten hellacious.  I'm beginning to think about getting hormones to keep it away at some crucial times (like next summer when we go to Peru).  I'm no fan of messing with my natural hormones and cycles, but. . .

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 8
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 2:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jun. 14 2013, 11:13 pm)
However, as I'm nearing the beginning of the end (as it were), my periods have gotten hellacious.  I'm beginning to think about getting hormones to keep it away at some crucial times (like next summer when we go to Peru).  I'm no fan of messing with my natural hormones and cycles, but. . .

I'm beginning to think of a hysterectomy.  I want another baby, but as that seems to be unlikely to happen, I'd just as soon be done with the whole damn mess.  I'm giving it another year...

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 9
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Find a lightweight dark colored nylon stuff sack - to contain everything discretely.

Take a few more zip locs than you think you'll need - they don't weigh anything.

Ditto with baby wipes.  You can always dry them out to save a little weight - add water on the trail to re-wet.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 10
prairiechicken Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a combo of ob tampons and panty liners. Double bag everything. Totally agree with bringing more than you need and don't put it all together. Keep some separate in a side pocket/pouch for easy access on the trail. If you take the pill you can start the next month's pack a few days early to change the timing of your cycle (if by the calendar that would be helpful).
 Post Number: 11
hikingodS Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess after 40 YEARS of dealing with it, it just seems pretty routine, even on a BP trip.  As others have said:  extra supplies, OBs are compact and handy, extra TP, extra zip locs, an opaque bag to keep discards (don't want to scare the husband!) and I like the little single serve packet Germ-X's or Handi-wipes for clean up.  Panty liners are a good extra safety measure.
 Post Number: 12
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(prairiechicken @ Jun. 15 2013, 6:47 pm)
If you take the pill you can start the next month's pack a few days early to change the timing of your cycle (if by the calendar that would be helpful).

This works. Your OB/Gyn would tell you the same thing. There's no reason not to skip the leaky week and start a new pack right away if important life events make menstruating...unwanted.
 Post Number: 13
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do the 3 months on pill, 1 week off routine.

At first it was annoying because of spotting when my period was supposed to be, but after 2 cycles, things evened out and it works well for me.

It just depends on what you're comfortable with.
 Post Number: 14
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 7:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MsDoolittle @ Jun. 17 2013, 1:17 pm)

At first it was annoying because of spotting when my period was supposed to be, but after 2 cycles, things evened out and it works well for me.

+1 to this approach. Having 4 periods a year and being able to plan when they fall is priceless.  Every year I ask my doctor questions to be sure I'm not doing something harmful to my body (although I don't plan to have kids) and in some instances, the pill actually decreases various cancer risks.

(And with the latest health care laws, apparently birth control is 100% covered, so it's literally price-less :) )

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 15
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Jun. 18 2013, 5:37 pm)

(MsDoolittle @ Jun. 17 2013, 1:17 pm)

+1 to this approach. Having 4 periods a year and being able to plan when they fall is priceless.  Every year I ask my doctor questions to be sure I'm not doing something harmful to my body (although I don't plan to have kids) and in some instances, the pill actually decreases various cancer risks.

(And with the latest health care laws, apparently birth control is 100% covered, so it's literally price-less :) )

I think my jaw dropped when I made my first pill purchase this year. I buy mail order, so I get 3 months at a time and was expecting the $30 charge. That was about the time I started doing some reading. I apparently missed a few things. lol
 Post Number: 16
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's how I found out, too - went to the pharmacy, expecting to pay the usual $45 for 3 months and it was free.  I had budgeted $180 in my FSA for the year, but used that right up with two root canals anyways!

I don't necessarily agree with the premise, but whatever!   :laugh:

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 17
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Jun. 20 2013, 8:58 am)
That's how I found out, too - went to the pharmacy, expecting to pay the usual $45 for 3 months and it was free.  I had budgeted $180 in my FSA for the year, but used that right up with two root canals anyways!

I don't necessarily agree with the premise, but whatever!   :laugh:

Well, free birth control might be a cost saver in the long run.  Don't have to prevent very many pregnancies to cover the price of a huge pile of pills.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 18
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty much what everyone else said, +1000 on taking 1/2 again what you think you'll need, especially on the TP.  I forgo panty liners in favor of more absorbant thin pads (I have a few days at the beginning where even with tampons all bets are off, yeesh).

I also make sure that I've got enough room in my pack for the trash.  Usually that means taking the pack with the bigger lid, LOL.

I don't know how I pulled it off this year, but it's probably the first year where all my (pre)planned camping trips are in the clear, so to speak!

Ps - enjoy the Highline Trail.  I could spend a whole summer in the Uintas.   :)

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 19
Tripp Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use ob tampons (less trash and take up less space) and have a double zip lock bag that I cover in duct tape that I put all my trash in. I then keep my tampons, extra TP and hand sanitizer in another zip lock, so everything I need is easy to grab when I need it. Also, baby wipes are great for cleaning up as well.

--------------
"Not all who wander are lost"
18 replies since Jun. 10 2013, 1:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Period Planning
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions