2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Solo camping, Do you do it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
freedomseeker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 5:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been contemplating some solo hikes with overnights lately.  I have two little ones and I need some peace and quiet!  

Frankly, I'm kind of a chicken and worry about being alone in a tent, deep in the woods and deciding that I'm afraid of the dark.  I realize that's sort of the point, but I'm wondering how many of you do it.  

Anyone else willing to admit that it's kinda scary?  :)  How do you overcome it?

--------------
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean. -John Muir
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have backpacked solo.  Pick a place that you are comfortable with, and go for it.  If you need a wilderness permit, tell the ranger your route, and they will note it on the permit, for their records.  Be discrete, and you will have a very enjoyable time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think women are more likely to be afraid because we are conditioned to think men and everything else out there is out to get us.... We are actually just as safe or safer out there. Search and rescue efforts i have participated in have been for men or groups....
The can't-sleep-heebie-jeebies can be dealt with by taking an mp3 player....

Plan a route, leave an itinerary with someone trustworthy, and practice deep relaxing breaths.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 1:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I was single I went solo quite a bit, including a 15-day stint on the PCT.  I was pretty danged uncomfortable the first few times, but soon adjusted.  Noises in the night can still get me sometimes, even with a big strong man ( :D ) in the tent with me.*

Then there's the way Eldest Son snores. . . solo starts to look good again.

*those few who have met my spouse will laugh, as he's a super-skinny runner-type and maybe 5'8".  Totally useless: I can't outrun him (as if a bear would bother to eat him instead of me), and there's no good eating on the guy if we are lost and starving.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 5
prairiechicken Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 6:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done most of my hiking trips in the past 13 years by myself. The best advice I can give is start with trails that are familiar to you already. Always tell someone your itinerary and make arrangements to phone someone once done. Super remote is unwise for any solo hiker, male or female, unless you pack a satellite phone. Injuries can kill you if no one comes along to help and you can't help yourself. It's hard not to be hyper aware of every little noise. I remember being totally spooked one night by something that sounded "really big" and discovered a curious porcupine. Once I knew what it was I realized it wasn't actually making that much noise. I was so tired from the long hike in, I promptly fell asleep. I don't get the jitters anymore.
 Post Number: 6
hikingodS Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Usually once or twice a year.  My husband is a little less into the whole thing, and doesn't always want to go when I do, so I am perfectly happy to go on my own-- set my own pace, eat when I feel like it, organize things the way I like them--drag less crap into the tent.  Have stories to tell when I get home.  Fortunately, I have never really suffered from the night-time heebie-jeebies (while there was the wolverine incident many years ago--pretty creepy--but nothing in a couple of decades... oh well, there were the devil-worshippers a few years ago-- just kidding!).
 Post Number: 7
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like a few others have said, pick a place you are comfortable with. When I solo, I most always go someplace I have already been. On occasion I have gone to a new place. When I go to a new place, I choose a somewhat popular area, so if something happens, hopefully someone will stumble across me  :)

If you are worried about night noises, wear earplugs. That's what I do. I figure if something wantst to eat me, it's going to try whether I hear it or not  :p

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 8
bellanatura Search for posts by this member.
Nature Lover

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've solo camped a couple of times and enjoyed it - although the second time I freaked myself out because I had a dream that there was a big cat on my tent and it woke me up!  So after that it was hard to go back to sleep lol  :p

I took bear spray with me (even though the chances of seeing a bear where I was were pretty slim).  The first time I went solo, there were a lot of other campers nearby but the the second time I was completely alone, so it was a little freaky, but cool at the same time!

Here are links with pictures from both trips:

First Solo Backpacking/Camping Trip

Second Solo Backpacking/Camping Trip

--------------
-Barbara

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream..." - C.S. Lewis

http://www.barbaracardinali.com
 Post Number: 9
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have solo camped and it was OK, but I do think I'd rather go with friends, it just seems more fun, and then, almost as much fun, is the sharing of memories from that trip with talking and laughing about it later.  You just need to get out and try a solo and go from there.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 10
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bellanatura---Thanks for the Smugmug links.  I sure like my smugmug account too!  The Keyword feature really helps to organize my pics.  I bookmarked your Backpacking/Hiking category for further study.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 11
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to solo camp a lot - but I outgrew the novelty, I guess.  There were a few times I was seriously scared, including a night in Yosemite when a bear sat on my tent!  One other time a bear ate my baby wipes and I was so freaked out I ended up not camping, but hiking out that evening.  But most of the time I wasn't scared, just kind-of bored being out there by myself after a few hours.  Anyway, these days I am very thankful to have 3 good hiking buds plus my parents, sister, husband and son that I go with, in some combination - going out with my son and friend Sonya next week :)  This time will be the mountains - last week it was the beach.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 12
Nature Lover

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jul. 12 2013, 12:16 pm)
Bellanatura---Thanks for the Smugmug links.  I sure like my smugmug account too!  The Keyword feature really helps to organize my pics.  I bookmarked your Backpacking/Hiking category for further study.

You're welcome!  I like your galleries as well!  I do like Smugmug.  I should play around with it more and take advantage of all it's features.  Right now I pretty much just dump my pictures into various galleries but don't have it organized all that well yet.  You can always check out the main page as I may have some nice pictures there that may not be under the hiking/backpacking category:

http://bellanatura.smugmug.com/

--------------
-Barbara

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream..." - C.S. Lewis

Post Number: 13
Nature Lover

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Jul. 12 2013, 4:02 pm)
I used to solo camp a lot - but I outgrew the novelty, I guess.  There were a few times I was seriously scared, including a night in Yosemite when a bear sat on my tent!  One other time a bear ate my baby wipes and I was so freaked out I ended up not camping, but hiking out that evening.  But most of the time I wasn't scared, just kind-of bored being out there by myself after a few hours.  Anyway, these days I am very thankful to have 3 good hiking buds plus my parents, sister, husband and son that I go with, in some combination - going out with my son and friend Sonya next week :)  This time will be the mountains - last week it was the beach.

Sounds like a great time!  I am missing my backpacking trips.  Before I got pregnant, I was going to plan a girls backpacking weekend this summer, but I will have to postpone that one for now!  We will definitely bring baby along when she's a bit older so we can start getting her used to it!  :D

--------------
-Barbara

Post Number: 14
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I found it quite easy to go hiking & camping with a baby, and we've been on short backpacking trips twice.   I nursed, so no having to mess with bottles.  Once he started crawling and walking, though, it has become more work :p but still worth it, but it definitely helps if you can bring at least one friend along to help watch them so you can do things like set up/take down the tent, cook, etc.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 15
Gypsy97 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I want to hike in the Trinity Alps (No. CA) and work up to short backpack trips during 2014.  I'm nervous about going it alone but don't have anyone I can invite to go along.  I will be 73 next week, and am working out at a gym plus walking more, trying to get myself fit enough to handle it - I backpacked a lot in the Appalachians 15 years ago, including about 900 miles on the Appalachian Trail, but not since.  How can one find other solo women who would be interested in joining up for a trip?  I think it is easier back in the east than in CA, but I'm open to suggestions.  Thanks.
 Post Number: 16
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're afraid of what we can't see. In the summer you only have to deal with a couple of hours of darkness. The trick is to go to bed really tired so as to fall asleep quickly. When you wake up in the morning you realize you're perfectly safe and you wonder why you were so nervous. The tent gives you a feeling of security.

Fall is harder. When the sun sets at 5:00 you have to occupy yourself for several hours in the dark, which is spookier. Sounds seem magnified at night. Small animals sound like big animals. A good book helps, also writing in a journal. And of course a good lantern or headlamp (I bring both) and a fire.

If you have a choice between going alone and not going at all, I think it's worth it to try to get used to being alone in the woods at night. I've done it for many years.
 Post Number: 17
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds seem magnified at night. Small animals sound like big animals.

Not solo but...

I took a lady on her first ever backpacking trip in Bull of the Woods (OR) and while we're laying in the tent, she's commenting on the "scary" sounds. Just as I'm telling her there's really nothing all that scary "out there", an owl slammed something (squirrel maybe?) in a tree right above us that let out an awful scream as it died.

I don't think she slept the rest of that night and I never could get her to go again....

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 18
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2013, 12:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 08 2013, 7:36 pm)
Sounds seem magnified at night. Small animals sound like big animals.

Not solo but...

I took a lady on her first ever backpacking trip in Bull of the Woods (OR) and while we're laying in the tent, she's commenting on the "scary" sounds. Just as I'm telling her there's really nothing all that scary "out there", an owl slammed something (squirrel maybe?) in a tree right above us that let out an awful scream as it died.

I don't think she slept the rest of that night and I never could get her to go again....

That's pretty funny  though kind of sad, too (about her not going again).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 19
bluebydesign Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Jun. 12 2013, 12:13 pm)
I think women are more likely to be afraid because we are conditioned to think men and everything else out there is out to get us.... We are actually just as safe or safer out there. Search and rescue efforts i have participated in have been for men or groups....
The can't-sleep-heebie-jeebies can be dealt with by taking an mp3 player....

Plan a route, leave an itinerary with someone trustworthy, and practice deep relaxing breaths.

I couldn't have said it better myself.  I'm excited for you  :p
 Post Number: 20
Hikesinmaine Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was scared to stay out alone until I suffered thru the first night, awake at every tiny sound.  But I finally figured out I'm safer in the woods than in my own bed (how many campers a year ARE actually eaten by a bear? One? versus how many home invasions?).  Taking Advil pm helps, as does a little peppermint schnapps in the cocoa :0).  Def do a trail you're familiar with that is well used. It's never wise to bushwhack alone.  I'm lucky that I live near the White Mtns of NH & the AT - tent sites on-trail fill up fast and there's seldom a time when I'm truly alone camping. Even in the winter it's tough to find a trail that isn't used constantly & the 3 sides lean-to's always have other people.

By the time I've carried all that gear up a 4,000' mtn, set up & eaten, I can barely stay awake long enough to crawl into the tent. Oh-- another hint -- get a few of those glow-sticks and put them around your tent - at least you'll be able to quickly see that mouse that sounds like a moose in the middle of the night!

All in all, the best sleep I ever get is in a tent up on some mountain alone. You WILL survive and after a few times, you'll be addicted, I promise!

--------------
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways"...John Wayne
 Post Number: 21
Blazer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2014, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All I do is solo camp. I used to camp with my family as well but since my divorce I'm totally on my own. I do just about everything on my own. It suits me because I have the freedom to do what I want, when I want and how I want so I've grown to prefer going at it by myself.

I guess I don't get scared. I take the proper precautions and tell my daughter exactly where I will be on what day and text her (when I have cell service) to let her know that I've set up camp, etc. I use a bear cannister and keep a clean camp so I'm not bugged by animals and I enjoy just being on my own, in my tent and listening to what's out there.

If I'm not hearing the sound of other campers screaming, yelling and keeping me up all night I'm happy. The main reason I took up backpacking is to get away from the idiots and be alone, so I like it!

--------------
"And now it's your chance to move on
Change the way you've lived for so long
And find the strength you've had inside all along
'Cause life starts now" - Three Days Grace
 Post Number: 22
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2014, 9:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went with a friend who had graduated from day hikes with me and others and with loaned gear managed to get a kit together for her.

She hadn't told me, ahead of time, that she was terrified of what could go THUMP in the night.  So about an hour after lights out she mentions that she is scared of what could be out there.

On a dark mostly moonless night we hiked about a 1/4 mile to an edge of a meadow with sleeping bags and pads and laid up against a tree and with a head lamp ready watched what happens at night.   Pretty much nothing but she heard every crack and hoot.  The next night she went out by herself but close enough to beat a hasty retreat.  Amazing what a bar of chocolate shared between friends will do.

She has been a solo back packer when needed ever since.  She said she just needed to see it to know there is not a lot going on near humans.  

She missed the night when a dozen deer passed near enough to hear a few of them breathing.

Depends upon where you hike if you will truly be solo.  In the west on many trails you have to work to get away from people.  I've seen several solo women hikers who think it is the only way to go and enjoy making friends as they go along.   Seems about a half liked to camp with others near mainly to join in the chat and lies before sleep.  Many others rather be off to experience the quiet of the mountains.  

None had ever been lost or hurt which seems about right for most back packers.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2014, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SPeacock @ Jun. 29 2014, 9:47 pm)
Depends upon where you hike if you will truly be solo.  In the west on many trails you have to work to get away from people.  I've seen several solo women hikers who think it is the only way to go and enjoy making friends as they go along.   Seems about a half liked to camp with others near mainly to join in the chat and lies before sleep.  Many others rather be off to experience the quiet of the mountains.

I am in the "would rather be off alone to experience the quiet of the mountains" category. It's not just in the west that's it's difficult to find this. In the northeast, on a summer weekend, it's impossible. I've taken days off during the week just to get some solitude. I took up backpacking to get out of crowded campgrounds and have more freedom and options.

Fortunately you can get off trail and camp out in some areas. I've always been a big explorer and this is my goal...to find places where no one else is.

In the off season (fall-winter-early spring), during the week,  there have been times when I've had entire campgrounds to myself. I love it. If I can just hear nothing but nature..the birds, the frogs, the splashing of the fish in the river or lake near I camp..I'm in Heaven.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
GlitterHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2014, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Blazer @ Jun. 29 2014, 11:33 pm)
In the off season (fall-winter-early spring), during the week,  there have been times when I've had entire campgrounds to myself. I love it.

+1. I haven't got up the courage to go solo backpacking, but I have been fortunate enough to car camp at campgrounds off-season several times and been the only one there. It gives me just the added bit of comfort knowing my car is there - as protection? quick escape? It works for me and I absolutely love the experience.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2014, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you love the experience of solo car camping then it's not a big step to solo backpacking. You can try it on weekend and you'll be sure to find others around.

For me, that's not a good thing, which is why I try and go during the week but with the weather pattern we've had around here lately it's been difficult. It always seems to rain on the days I have off during the week. Nice on weekends, when the trails and campgrounds are crawling with people.

I'm looking forward to fall. The end of summer vacation and colder weather pretty much solves the problem of overpopulation, even in the crowded northeast.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gypsy97 @ Nov. 07 2013, 1:08 pm)
How can one find other solo women who would be interested in joining up for a trip?  I think it is easier back in the east than in CA, but I'm open to suggestions.  Thanks.

Sierra Clubs often do local, and national backpacking trips.  Check Meetup as well, and search for backpacking groups.  If you don't find one, think about starting one!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 27
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2014, 8:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to solo camp a lot - but I outgrew the novelty, I guess.  

Hmmm, I don't see solo camping/backpacking as a "novelty." For me, it's more about getting out and enjoying being by myself, not having to deal with anyone else's wants, needs, or schedule. I LIKE being alone. I'm just weird that way :p  :)

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 28
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2014, 12:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We did one of those family car-camping trips with friends over the 4th.  Two families, four teenagers, two dogs, five tents, four kayaks, three cars stuffed to the gills.  OMG.

THAT'S when I remember how quiet, peaceful and easy a solo trips is!  I'm going by myself this weekend to recover from last weekend.  :)

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2014, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Jul. 09 2014, 8:51 am)

I used to solo camp a lot - but I outgrew the novelty, I guess.  

Hmmm, I don't see solo camping/backpacking as a "novelty." For me, it's more about getting out and enjoying being by myself, not having to deal with anyone else's wants, needs, or schedule. I LIKE being alone. I'm just weird that way :p  :)

Not weird at all. The ability to enjoy one's own company and be content doing things by yourself is a gift and the ultimate freedom. Enjoy it. I'm a kindred spirit.  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2014, 12:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Jul. 09 2014, 12:12 pm)
We did one of those family car-camping trips with friends over the 4th.  Two families, four teenagers, two dogs, five tents, four kayaks, three cars stuffed to the gills.  OMG.

Wow, glad I wasn't camping out next to you all. LOL!  :D  That's why I don't car camp on the weekends in the summer (especially on holidays!) and have taken up backpacking.  :)

--------------
33 replies since Jun. 11 2013, 5:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Solo camping
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions