2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Camping While Pregnant?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bellanatura Search for posts by this member.
Nature Lover

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 4:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a big group camp out happening the weekend of September 20-22 (Pickle Gulch - some of you might be there!) and I'd like to go but will be a little over 36 weeks pregnant then.   I thought about staying home but I wouldn't feel comfortable staying home alone without having a way to get a hold of my husband, (he is planning to go), in case something happens (since there's typically no cell service there).  Has anyone camped while this far along in their pregnancy?  If so, any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

--------------
-Barbara

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream..." - C.S. Lewis

http://www.barbaracardinali.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 5:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I camped into my 7th month - the only problem I had was my sleeping bag wouldn't zip over my belly!  Otherwise I was quite comfortable.  I slept on a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core and brought two extra pillows and thankfully brought my down quilt along to cover my upper half.  It was December and it snowed a bit overnight.  As long as you won't be by yourself and there is cell service, and your pregnancy hasn't had any complications, I'd say go for it!

And by the way, congrats :)  Do you know if you're having a boy or a girl?

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Nature Lover

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Jul. 09 2013, 3:27 pm)
And by the way, congrats :)  Do you know if you're having a boy or a girl?

Thank you!  We're having a girl!   :)

--------------
-Barbara

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream..." - C.S. Lewis

Post Number: 4
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He's leaving at 36 weeks? Mike!!!!!! HELLO!!!!!

Don't look to me for advice. I couldn't do much at all the last 2 months in my pregnancies. And I made it only week 38 as my latest with all of them ;-)

Go by how YOU feel. And never, ever feel bad about grabbing him and making him stay home if you feel bloated, crampy and tired ;-)

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 5
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 8:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The worst part, IMO, will be sleeping on the ground.   Do the kids have twin beds?  If so, have Mike take one of those mattresses.  :)  If it won't fit in your tent let me know it should fit in mine, you can borrow it.  The rest of us will yield the best chairs to you.  

If you feel like it go for it.   I promise everyone will help you without hovering too much.  :)

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 6
Nature Lover

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Jul. 09 2013, 6:05 pm)
He's leaving at 36 weeks? Mike!!!!!! HELLO!!!!!

Don't look to me for advice. I couldn't do much at all the last 2 months in my pregnancies. And I made it only week 38 as my latest with all of them ;-)

Go by how YOU feel. And never, ever feel bad about grabbing him and making him stay home if you feel bloated, crampy and tired ;-)

I would like to clarify that I believe my initial post was a bit misleading in what I was trying to convey.  I didn't mean to sound like Mike was leaving regardless of how I felt or whether I was going or not.  I really do want to go, but just not sure how comfortable I will be and don't want either of us to miss out on Pickle Gulch weekend.  Mike has already indicated that if I'm not feeling well or just not up to it, that we could stay home.  He has been nothing but loving, supportive, and doing what he can to help me be more comfortable during my pregnancy  :)   I think I'll be fine though and with everyone's great suggestions (extra pillows, mattress, etc) I think it will work out just fine.  Every pregnancy is different, and it's hard to say what could happen between now and then, but so far I've been feeling pretty good and hoping it will stay that way!  :D

--------------
-Barbara

Post Number: 7
Nature Lover

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Jul. 10 2013, 6:28 am)
The worst part, IMO, will be sleeping on the ground.   Do the kids have twin beds?  If so, have Mike take one of those mattresses.  :)  If it won't fit in your tent let me know it should fit in mine, you can borrow it.  The rest of us will yield the best chairs to you.  

If you feel like it go for it.   I promise everyone will help you without hovering too much.  :)

Thanks Deborah!  I believe Chuck has offered to bring a cot for me to sleep on, which would keep me off the ground.  We're also planning on bringing the big family tent so that will give us more room!  :D

--------------
-Barbara

Post Number: 8
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Body pillow, do you use one now? If not...get one :) That last month they help you roll off the bed...lol!

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Nature Lover

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Jul. 10 2013, 10:53 am)
Body pillow, do you use one now? If not...get one :) That last month they help you roll off the bed...lol!

I don't have one...I've seen them but they're SO BIG! I don't think we'd have room for it in our bed lol!  I've been stealing all the pillows in the house though!  :p

--------------
-Barbara

Post Number: 10
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bellanatura @ Jul. 10 2013, 10:01 am)

(sarbar @ Jul. 10 2013, 10:53 am)

I don't have one...I've seen them but they're SO BIG! I don't think we'd have room for it in our bed lol!  I've been stealing all the pillows in the house though!  :p

By the end of my last pregnancy I swear Kirk had one tiny sliver of bed to lay on. :-D I had pillows on 3 sides :-D And no, I didn't feel guilty...lol! I was carrying his giant offspring, it was my right :-D

--------------
 Post Number: 11
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did some camping at 7 months in my first pregnancy, and loved the air mattress because it helped my sore hips. I had to get up to pee a lot! So hopefully the bathroom would be close for you. Also, plan on an emergency back up plan in case you go into labor (nearest hospital, route to get there, keep a bag packed in the trunk). How will the altitude affect you? Can you plan a night in a motel room relatively close (1 hr or so) in case you can't handle it?

My second pregnancy I was on bed rest and all I wanted to do was go camping.

I hope  you are having an easy pregnancy! I'll resurrect the pregnancy and childbirth thread and you can give it a read if you want to see stores from all the forum ladies. There was quite a baby boom here the last few years :)

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 12
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did some canoeing at 9 months.  Did have to lean backwards to avoid overhanging branches, though.  I sure hope you'll be at PG, and if you're feeling iffy about spending the night, you can always go up for just the day.I amy be there for just the day and dinner of Sat., so if you wanted a ride home, I'm available for that.  You can do it, girl!!  Uh, er, girls!!

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 13
Nature Lover

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Jul. 12 2013, 9:54 am)
I did some canoeing at 9 months.  Did have to lean backwards to avoid overhanging branches, though.  I sure hope you'll be at PG, and if you're feeling iffy about spending the night, you can always go up for just the day.I amy be there for just the day and dinner of Sat., so if you wanted a ride home, I'm available for that.  You can do it, girl!!  Uh, er, girls!!

Thanks!  So far I do plan to be at PG!  We'll see how it goes!   :D

--------------
-Barbara

Post Number: 14
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(VAN @ Jul. 12 2013, 10:24 am)
I did some camping at 7 months in my first pregnancy, and loved the air mattress because it helped my sore hips.

Yes, I even considered sleeping on my air mattress in the house because it was quite comfortable and helped my sore hip as well!

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 15
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 04 2013, 1:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You'll just have to decide the night before.  With my first, I was miserable at 7 months, and after two nights on the ground drove an extra two or three hours to avoid a third.  But later I was actually more comfortable, though there really wasn't room enough in the tent for all of me :p

I have no memory of my second pregnancy.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 16
Nature Lover

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2013, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I purchased an inflatable mattress to test out for camping and it worked out really well when I camped this past weekend with Mike and the kids! (I'm currently at 30 weeks) It nearly takes up the whole area of a 4 person tent though, but hey, it was comfortable!  :p

--------------
-Barbara

15 replies since Jul. 09 2013, 4:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Camping While Pregnant?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions