2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Where to buy hiking clothes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 10:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okay, this seems like a question I shouldn't need to ask.  But where you you all shop for hiking/travel clothes besides REI?  I mean places on the ground where I can try stuff on--there's no point in trying to mail-order pants unless I know they fit, since I generally try on about ten to find one that sort of fits.

I'll take recommendations for pants that might fit a female with a somewhat thick waist and not very accented hips and butt.  I find that most pants are either too tight in the waist for comfort (oh, if they'd just make hiking pants with fully-elastic waists!) or (if I get them large enough in the waist to be comfy) everything below the waist is billowy and baggy.

I need a couple of pairs I can wear all day every day for a month or more on the trail/towns/planes trains and automobiles.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tend to go by brands for fit since I need petite or short lengths and the stores around here never seem to stock them.  And it sounds like we have similar body shapes.  I've had the most luck with EMS and Prana for hiking pants.

I love Prana's pants.  Slightly wider waists without being long-waisted, and they use lots of stretchy quick-dry fabrics.

At EMS, I bought a pair of their "Trailhead" zip-offs and love the fit.  Went back and also got the capris.

Have you ever tried North Face's "Horizon" zip-offs?  They're what I used to always wear.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 6:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, TF.  I think north face has a store in Berkeley, so maybe I can try those if REI doesn't carry them.  And the stretchiness of the Prana pants might be good for town/airplane (I'm actually going so far as to consider a skirt for the plane, though I'd need to keep long underwear handy in case it's cold).

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was at REI today and noticed that they carry (at least our store does) quite a few Prana items.

I also remembered that we have some Columbia outlet stores around.  They're pretty good for travel wear.

For travel skirts/dresses, I'm a fan of Horny Toad.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 5
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 11:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The hassle of mail order would be involved, but have you looked at Travel Smith?

They specialize in travel wear that is quick drying (for washing in the sink), wrinkle resistant and usually non-restrictive.  

http://www.travelsmith.com

I have purchased several things from them.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 6
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Deborah, I found a pair there that looked perfect, even down to an elastic waist.  I was all ready to buy when I read the small print: no longer available.  Sigh.  I'd like to think I could shrink my waist and fit more comfortably in the usual run of stuff, but that's not very likely.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 7
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2014, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jan. 21 2014, 10:32 am)
Deborah, I found a pair there that looked perfect, even down to an elastic waist.  I was all ready to buy when I read the small print: no longer available.  Sigh.  I'd like to think I could shrink my waist and fit more comfortably in the usual run of stuff, but that's not very likely.

I saw that pair and thought, "oh that is just what Rebecca wants".   Then I saw the small print.  I don't understand why they are still on the site if they are not available.   I wonder if they are a regular item and are simply out of stock at the moment.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 8
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2014, 12:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is no brick & mortar store for hiking clothes within four hours of my house.  My solution (sadly) is to order online and save the rejects for my husband to return when he travels to Boise for work once every few months. Definitely not ideal.
Have you looked at Gramicci stuff?  They have lots of comfy features like elasticized waists and seam gussets, but I don't remember whether I've seen fabrics other than heavy duty cotton from them.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 9
cahiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2014, 3:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It seems like whenever I find clothes I like and that fit well the company changes everything the following year and I have to search all over again.  If you can't find what you're looking for now, when the "spring fashions" arrive you might have better luck.

Have you tried Sports Basement?  They have 2 stores in San Francisco and usually carry different stuff than REI, including  North Face, and are often a little cheaper too.  Maybe just google or yelp "hiking clothing" or "travel clothing" and the name of your town and see what turns up.  If you live near Berkeley there are probably lots of options.

I can't help with specific brands.  It seems like everything I try on is made for your body type, which doesn't work for me...
 Post Number: 10
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2014, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cahiker @ Jan. 22 2014, 12:21 am)
It seems like whenever I find clothes I like and that fit well the company changes everything the following year and I have to search all over again.  If you can't find what you're looking for now, when the "spring fashions" arrive you might have better luck.

Have you tried Sports Basement?  They have 2 stores in San Francisco and usually carry different stuff than REI, including  North Face, and are often a little cheaper too.  Maybe just google or yelp "hiking clothing" or "travel clothing" and the name of your town and see what turns up.  If you live near Berkeley there are probably lots of options.

I can't help with specific brands.  It seems like everything I try on is made for your body type, which doesn't work for me...

I hadn't thought of Sports Basement.  I'll check them out.  And I think I need to spend a day in Berkeley.  There is, or used to be, a Title 9 shop near the REI there, though I find that most if their stuff is for the young and skinny crowd.

And while you find everything is cut for my body type, I find everything is cut for yours. . . We need to shop together.  Then we can just trade the stuff we've taken to try on!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 11
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2014, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I picked up some very comfortable and lightweight ripstop cotton cargo pants on-line from Wrangler (Walmart carries them too) for $19.50.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2014, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jan. 22 2014, 11:22 am)
I picked up some very comfortable and lightweight ripstop cotton cargo pants on-line from Wrangler (Walmart carries them too) for $19.50.

So, MLF, what kind of body type would you say you are?  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2014, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Jan. 22 2014, 10:23 am)

(Montanalonewolf @ Jan. 22 2014, 11:22 am)

So, MLF, what kind of body type would you say you are?  :D

LOL!

It's a sad truth that there is little connection between the quality and selection in the men's department and that in the women's.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 14
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2014, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I found some comfy and attractive Champion capris at Target that I now hike in all the time

I'm built similarly - not much of a waist to hip ratio.  Though post baby I have a little more.  

Otherwise I do most of my ordering online and return that which doesn't fit.  I've had most luck with Campmor.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2014, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll take recommendations for pants that might fit a female with a somewhat thick waist and not very accented hips and butt.

That comment is why I responded.
No offense intended but kind of what a male has.... right?

I know a lot of women who wear men's pants for a few reasons, that being one.

--------------

Post Number: 16
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jan. 25 2014, 6:59 pm)
I'll take recommendations for pants that might fit a female with a somewhat thick waist and not very accented hips and butt.

That comment is why I responded.
No offense intended but kind of what a male has.... right?

I know a lot of women who wear men's pants for a few reasons, that being one.

That's actually a valid point, and I am seriously thinking of trying the men's dept.  I already buy my shirts and jackets there.  Plus, men's clothes are almost always better made, and there's more selection especially in serious outdoor clothes.  And there's never any pink in the men's dept. . . okay, you've convinced me!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 12:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jan. 26 2014, 12:12 am)
That's actually a valid point, and I am seriously thinking of trying the men's dept.  I already buy my shirts and jackets there.  Plus, men's clothes are almost always better made, and there's more selection especially in serious outdoor clothes.  And there's never any pink in the men's dept. . . okay, you've convinced me!

Second here on the men's dept. Now that I'm having to play dress-up for work, I'm finding that even dress pants/khakis are better over there. The fact that I generally have to tailor-in the waist a bit should be encouraging as well.  :p
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 6:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And while it is a form of sexism, aren't men's clothes generally cheaper/less expensive than women's?

--------------

Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2014, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jan. 26 2014, 6:41 am)
And while it is a form of sexism, aren't men's clothes generally cheaper/less expensive than women's?

In general, maybe, but hiking/outdoor wear seems equally priced, basically like gear.  Now, if we could only get past the girl/boy colors.  And manufacturers seem to think women need fewer pockets.  ???

I'm too short to wear most men's clothing but, if I were taller, I'm sure I'd be raiding the men's sale racks often.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, that pocket thing bugs me even more than the colors (hiking pants, at least, seem to be shades of tan and khaki no matter who they are for).  I have a pair of Columbia Titanium pants in women's.  The pockets are so tiny as to be useless, especially the slit pockets, which are too shallow to hold so much as a tissue (let alone my hands when they want warming up).  My husband has the same pants in men's.  Big pockets, more of them, and better designed.

Maybe the manufacturers will see this: when I'm hiking, I DON'T CARE IF THE POCKETS ARE UNFLATTERING.  I NEED TO HAUL MY STUFF!  Also: I don't have a 26" waist, nor 46" hips.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 21
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With free shipping/free returns, I pretty much buy everything online.  Sure, it's a hassle to go to the Post Office and box stuff up to return, but I prefer that to shopping malls and fitting rooms.

Athleta is a great brand (now owned by GAP) with a lot of styles.  They actually might have a store in your area, although I suspect the stores focus more on gym/yoga clothes, but they do offer hiking pants.  Similar to Title9 which you already mentioned.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 22
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2014, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just picked up a pair of Columbia silver ridge pants at Sports Basement for under $40.  They actually have adjustable elastic thingies in the waist (just like kids' jeans). That really helps.

ETA: I also tried the men's version, and very nearly went with them.  The fit was almost as good, and the pockets much better.  In the end I took the women's because the fabric was a little different and I liked it better.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
21 replies since Jan. 19 2014, 10:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Where to buy hiking clothes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions