2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: #9 - A Fishy Plane Cancellation< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2005, 10:13 am  Skip to the next post in this topic.    QUOTE

Jet Airways operates 2 flights a day to Delhi from here. Today, both flights were postponed and then cancelled because of "high surface winds" on the runway. This is a lie, as there was barely any breeze. One of the 2 flights yesterday was also cancelled. That one because of "high temperatures." We are 11,500 feet in elevation here! Someone is making excuses, and many foreigners are furious because they have missed their international connections. Jet Airways is not affiliated with other airlines, so they will not compensate for any loss. Nor will they compensate people if they cancel their plane ticket to go overland if the ticket was not purchased in India to begin with. Flights to Europe (and on to America) are booked until September, except for expensive first-class tickets which neither airline will cover. Jet Airways won't touch it. Northwest/KLM, Lufthansa/United, or others will not refund the unused ticket in favor of a later date ticket. I am okay, as I built in an extra day because I know stuff like this happens. But, if it happens again, I am in DEEP trouble. My connecting international flight is tomorrow night, and I HAVE to get back. Our family has suffered a huge loss, and I have a memorial service that I have to attend. So, I have to report tomorrow at 4:15AM for a 7:00AM flight to Delhi. I have arranged a taxi and will be there.

The funny thing is that although Jet Airlines cancelled their 2 flights, Indian Airlines did fly today. Their passengers arrived after us, checked in, went through security and took off while we were all in the departure lounge. Tomorrow will be a zoo at that small airport with 5 or 6 flights having to leave!

Post Number: 2
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2005, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.    QUOTE

For those of you reading my postings, the following will be posted here after I return to America in my "Ultimate Trek" series:
Day 11
Day 12
Day 13
Day 14
Day 15
Day 16
Day 17

For those of you whose email addresses I have, I will have a newsletter update of my time in India, which I will also email from America to everyone. This will be similar to the one I emailed everyone before my trip here. But, postings here in these forums, of course, have been much more comprehensive than my email will be.

Post Number: 3
Orion11 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2005, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi,

I fly for the airlines in America and have had to cancel flights due to high temperature at high altitude airports at the regional level. It sounds misleading without some explanation though. Of course air is less dense at higher altitudes, and therefore the plane's operating envelope for safe takeoffs becomes incredibly smaller due to reduces lift, longer ground roll, and reduced engine output. At those altitudes it would have to be quite cold to get decent takeoff performance, and/or the plane would have to be very light, and a good headwind would be needed. All the plane performance is based on a "standard atmosphere" and "density altitude". Basically, at 11500 the standard temp is -8 Celcius. If it was warmer than that airplane performance would be seriously degraded and a safe departure may not have attainable. They may or may not have been telling the truth about the cancellation, but just to let you know it does happen. Hope this helps Smiler
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 14 2005, 9:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.    QUOTE

I buy your explanation about the low temperatures needed at high elevations (Leh is 11,500 ft). Two other people in Leh yesterday gave me the exact same explanation, including an engineering major who teaches some physics.

BUT, I do NOT buy yesterday's explanation about high surface winds. There was no wind yesterday to speak of. If it had been windy, I would have accepted the explanation.

Today, a Czech passenger told me the real reason, which he got from a reliable source at his hotel who has connections up high. Two days ago, the military general who is in charge of the thousands of troops in this area near Pakistan went in and demanded a Jet Airways seat to Delhi. This is high season, though, and all confirmed seats are gone until mid-September. So, the general was turned down. Jet Airways forgot that Leh's airport belongs to the military. So, yesterday both Jet Airways flights were refused permission to land and turned back to Delhi. But, the Indian Airlines plane landed! This was to punish Jet Airways. The "high wind" reason was just something to tell the passengers, as they couldn't really tell the truth. But, the general got his revenge. Angry Europeans who missed their connections back to Europe were very hard on Jet Airways employees in Leh.

We flew today (one day late). My international connection is tonight. After living in Leh a year, I know to have at LEAST a 1-day cushion between flights.

Post Number: 5
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2006, 1:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.    QUOTE

I'm bumping these to the top so that I don't lose them when the new software kicks in.
Keith

Post Number: 6
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2014, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm bumping all of these India stories to the top, so they won't be lost when the new software kicks in.
Keith

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 7
Ricksterz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 11:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, we backpackers all want to read a long-dead post from nine years ago, 2005, about a cancelled air flight in India! It is extremely important to keep this in the new forums so future generations of backpackers may learn a lesson.

--------------
Ricksterz
 Post Number: 8
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, I don't care if you read it or not.  But, I had about 20 or 25 posts from the year I lived in India, which I'd like saved, as part of a series.  This is related to those posts.  Read the posts that interest you.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 9
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

holy necro posting..
 Post Number: 10
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had about 20 or 25 posts from the year I lived in India, which I'd like saved,

So save them on YOUR computer instead of resurrecting the dead.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
10 replies since Aug. 13 2005, 5:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply #9 - A Fishy Plane Cancellation
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions