2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Iceland:  Laki-Skaftafell Trek, 9 days of amazing views< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rpcv Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2012, 8:40 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My husband and I spent two weeks in Iceland in July, nine days of backpacking from Laki Mountain to Skaftafell.  We went with a group and a guide.  It was the first time we had ever done a trip like that and we had a blast.  Everyone in the group actually got along really well (and nine days is a long time for a group that didn't know each other at the start).  Ninety percent of the route was off-trail.  Our guide said he never takes the same route twice.  If I had to guess, I would say we hiked 75-85 miles.  We spent three days crossing glaciers, crossed large rivers, camped in wildflower filled canyons, hiked past amazing waterfalls, and saw something completely new every day.

More pictures can be found here.  

We started the hike with a short climb to the top of Laki Mountain, the site of catastrophic volcanic eruptions in 1783-84.

Hardy little pink flowers in the volcanic desert.

Finding a way onto the glacier on day 2.  Our guide had hoped the river in the center of the photo would be low enough to cross.  No such luck.  We hiked miles upstream looking for a way across to get on the glacier.  

Our second day on the glacier.  Glacier crossings are slow and tiring, but amazingly beautiful.

A pair of Harlequin Ducks make their way upstream.

Arctic River Beauty in front of an unnamed waterfall.

Two large waterfalls on the route.  One of my favorite things about this picture is the distinct line between the waters from the two rivers.

The view from my favorite campsite of the trip.  

--------------
Silver Spring Wanderer
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2012, 11:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Amazing (especially the twin waterfalls)! Beautiful photographs.

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2012, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome. :)

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2012, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fantastic!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 5
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2012, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wonderful!!! Thanks for posting.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 6
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2012, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I gotta get back to Iceland. Fortunately there are some amazing fares out of the local airport, so I just need to find a good excuse to go.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 7
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2012, 4:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GaliWalker @ Aug. 08 2012, 11:23 pm)
Amazing (especially the twin waterfalls)! Beautiful photographs.

Couldn't agree more, those waterfalls don't even look like they could be dreamed up.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 8
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2012, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful.  Love those two waterfalls.
 Post Number: 9
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2012, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great photos. Was there last August. sure makes you appreciate forests though.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2012, 8:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks all.  It was a great trip.  

Burner, it does make you appreciate forests.  I have a picture of my husband "hiding" in an Icelandic forest near one of the rivers.  He is crouching on the ground among some scrubby birch trees that are about four feet tall!

--------------
Silver Spring Wanderer
 Post Number: 11
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2012, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you! Awsome!
 Post Number: 12
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2012, 1:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, thank you for sharing!!  Amazing!!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 13
WhosThatGirl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Amazing photos, thank you for sharing!!  I especially loved the two waterfalls (like everyone else) - they are just stunning.  Is the river on the right side from glacier melt?  Might explain the lighter color of the water, if it has glacial sediment in it.  

OK, Iceland is getting bumped up on my list of places to go!
 Post Number: 14
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice, indeed.

I would have never believed the photo of the two hikers next to the river was in color. Only the clothes of the hikers proved that it was. What a stark landscape.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 15
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rpcv @ Aug. 08 2012, 8:40 pm)
 We went with a group and a guide.   

Could you share with us the group or guide service you used. My wife and I are planning a trip there next year and this might be a better option then hiking the Landmannalaugar trail on our own for 4 or 5 days.

You can PM if for some reason you don't want it to be public

Fantastic photos

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2012, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

@ WhosThatGirl:  The river on the right is, indeed, glacier-fed.  

Eggs, we went with Icelandic Mountain Guides.  There aren't a lot of companies that actually do backpackbacking trips (at least more than a night or two) outside of Landmannalauger.  We had a great experience with them.  

The people that were on the trip with us who visited Landmannalauger as well loved it, but did say that it was crowded.  Except for the first and last mile of the trip, we saw three other hikers, from a distance, in the entire nine days.

--------------
Silver Spring Wanderer
15 replies since Aug. 08 2012, 8:40 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Iceland:  Laki-Skaftafell Trek
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions