2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mt Whitney Hike in June 2012, Photos of my first trek up Mt Whitney< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
josh42 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 10 2012, 12:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wanted to show the other adventure I completed this summer along with the half dome post I made in this forum. My first summit of Mt Whitney, the tallest mountain in the lower 48. I have a full photo guide here.

This was one of my goals for the year and am so happy I was able to complete it. Next summer I hope to take down a couple more of the California 14ers. Here is my favorite picture.

Let me know if any of you have recommendations on other great hikes in California so I can add them to my list!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 10 2012, 3:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Excellent, Josh!! I was surprised how very little snow there was in June!  I had always pictured the place covered with snow till late in summer...

A friend and I will be hoofing it up there in two weeks. :)

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 10 2012, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben,

Yea that was what was nice about it was that since it was such a dry year the switchbacks and cables were clear by like the middle of June, the year before it wasn't clear till like the end of July. Cant wait to hear how you like the trip.
 Post Number: 4
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Informative and inspiring trip report. Now I want to climb Mt Whitney, but it's a long way away for me. ???

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Chris C Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2012, 10:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fantastic pictures and report! Thank you!

--------------
"We're not lost. It's the trail that's missing."
 Post Number: 6
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2012, 10:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice photo!  

Gali, just schedule a nice long visit and the Sierra will definitey make it worth your while!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 7
chief1 Search for posts by this member.
Labeck

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2012, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pics & report. I will be flying in from the lowlands next week to do Whitney. you just added to my excitement. THANKS.

--------------
The Best thing to do behind a Friends back is to Pat it.
 Post Number: 8
WhosThatGirl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're in CA, check out the Lost Coast!
 Post Number: 9
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well made webpage nicely annotated!  

During your morning hike up, noticed a few images with sun reflections on the lens.   Of course to eliminate that, anytime when shooting towards the sun, first look to see if the sun may be shining on the lens and if so then shade it with your hand or something like the bill of a baseball cap.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Dave that is a good point, I had this  lens protector thing that made the flair way worse so i have been trying to shade it when I use now.

Also the lost coast is a great idea, been wanting to get up there it is just really far from SoCal!
9 replies since Aug. 10 2012, 12:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mt Whitney Hike in June 2012
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions