2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Isle Royale Trip Report, A three part Isle Royale Trip Report< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
KirkL Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2012, 9:13 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got home from my trip late last Sunday, and my dang job keeps getting in the way of finishing the report, so I decided to split it up into parts. Here is Part 1 on some cool places in the Michigan Upper Peninsula that we visited before ferrying across Lake Superior to the island.

Isle Royale Trip Report Part 1: Marquette, Gitche Gumee, Canyon Falls, Houghton, and the Quincy Smelter | On Roads Less Traveled

Part 2 on the actual backpacking should be up tonight; I'll post an update here when it's up.  Thanks for reading!

--------------
expeditiondigest.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2012, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Small world...nice to see you here.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2012, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haha thanks!  As many hours as I've spent sorting through pictures and loading them up to Wordpress, I would like for some more people to actually see the work; so I've posted it at a couple other forums I frequent.  I'm new to this one, but a longtime Backpacker subscriber.

I spent about three hours on Part 2 last night, but it started to feel like work, so I decided to call it a night and finish later, probably tonight.  Part 3 is going to be some reflections on the trip, how I would plan a return trip, and thoughts on the island and moose/wolf study.  Glad you guys enjoyed the first part.  The positive feedback is good motivation to finish it up.  I think it's kind of funny that a sports themed board is the top referrer for my outdoor blog, but I'll take the readers where I can get them.

--------------
expeditiondigest.com
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2012, 9:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In Part II, I write about and show pictures of our trek across the island.

Isle Royale Trip Report Part II: the Voyage, Amazing Sunrises, and Long Hikes

Part III should be ready by the end of the weekend, if not sooner.

Thanks for reading!

--------------
expeditiondigest.com
 Post Number: 5
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2012, 11:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great TR and pics.

I did a very similar hike there 30+ years ago--amazingly, some of the places do look familiar to me. Must have been great to do this with your Dad.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2012, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, it was a great experience to do the trip together.

I'm thinking about taking my Dad back there in a few years for his retirement gift.  Maybe get him a nice new canoe our touring kayak for the trip.  He's thinking about learning how to sail, so maybe we could even possibly sail around the coast, although a full size boat would be well out of my price range for a retirement gift.

I think you can see pretty much the entire island if you stick to the protected coves, water taxi (or sail) around unprotected Lake Superior coast, and dayhike inland.

--------------
expeditiondigest.com
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2012, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My final thoughts and reflections on Isle Royale. Thanks for reading!

Isle Royale Part III: Thoughts, reflections, lessons learned, and wolves
http://www.onroadslesstraveled.com/2012/09/15/isle-royale-part-iii/

--------------
expeditiondigest.com
 Post Number: 8
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice TR :)  I went to Isle Royale two years ago and loved loved loved it.  It is such a beautiful place.  We hiked the entire length of the island - from Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm to McCargoe Cove to Todd Harbor to Hatchett to South Desor then on to Windigo.  Only saw a moose on the last night.  Ran into some wolf researchers which was cool.  Anyway, one of my favorite BP trips.  Your pictures captured its beauty well :)  The sunsets were my favorite as well.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 9
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Really nice TR.  Thank you!

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you Tarol and Tigerfan!

The owner of the trademark, "the Road Less Traveled" contacted me claiming that my blog, "On Roads Less Traveled" infringes on her trademark.  I disagree, but I'd rather write content than write pleadings to defend myself, and I'd rather travel someplace fun than go to court, so the trip report is moving to my new blog domain, Expedition Digest.  I have also consolidated all three parts into a single post if you're looking at this trip report for the first time.

http://expeditiondigest.com/2012/09/19/isle-royale-trip-report/

--------------
expeditiondigest.com
9 replies since Sep. 12 2012, 9:13 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Isle Royale Trip Report
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions