2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mt Washington Trip this year< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 4:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This year’s trip was a bit of a letdown due to the fact that we were missing one person who has been with me on the last 5 trips. My Wife and I travel to NH to climb Mt Washington each year around Veterans Day. We've done this for the past five years. But, Super Storm Sandy (SSS) took a toll on the team this year. My wife is in the NJ Air National Guard, they were activated to staff the Emergency response center in Trenton after the storm so Bobbie could not make the trip this year. Instead she was working 12 hour day helping with the recovery of SSS.

I had two other team members going up Patricia (Glam backpacker) and Carroll (Col Sanders) so I went up to meet them on my own.
I drove up early Friday morning arriving at Pinkham Notch about 11:00. It was a nice drive with a fresh layer of snow on the ground in NY, VT, and NH from the Nor’easter that came and went Wednesday. Glam Backpacker and Col Sanders arrived about 12. We purchased our permits to spend two nights up at the shelters at Hermit Lake and hit the trail by about 1:30.
I've hiked with Glam Backpacker in the past and canoe camped with Col Sanders on a few occasions but this was Col sanders’ first backpacking trip. Well, nothing like jumping in the deep end for your first trip. He had the gear he needed but was not up to the task hiking up 1800 foot elevation gain to the shelters in about 2 miles. He struggled but did a great job overall. We reach the shelters about 3:30 and were the only ones there. I was surprised as the weather was really nice, windy but clear and about 30F, so for the location, ideal. We ate, drank, and made merry at the shelter looking forward to Saturday’s hike up to the top.

Saturday we woke to a nice day with just a few clouds but a high pressure area was coming in so the forecast for the summit was perfect. Winds 20-40 MPH, clear skies, and temps in the 20F range. We were all ready after breakfast and we hit the trail. About a half mile in Col Sanders was struggling. I took some of his gear hoping the lighter load would help him. But, a few minutes later he called it and decided it was not meant to be. I gave him his gear back and he turned back. Glam Backpacker and I went on without him. The Tuckerman’s Ravine trail was just beautiful this year. Covered in snow and all the trees had a layer of snow on them from the clouds blowing over them all night. The bowl was covered in icicles as well. There were a few drifts that were maybe an 18 inches deep but overall good hiking. We were all alone on the trail. We could see a couple of hikers coming across from Lions Head but that was about it. We made summit about 11:30 after leaving camp at 8:30. It was windy but not bad certainly not a wind that made it hard to stand like we had last year. We had lunch and took the summit photos and headed back down via Lions Head trail. We came upon many others as we headed down. We got back to the shelters about 2:45. Col Sanders spent the day day hiking around Hermit Lake. We all had dinner, drank, and made merry.

Sunday we packed up and hit the trail by 8. Going back down this early always leaves folks coming up with a confused look on their face. I think they wonder how the heck we are coming back down already. The weather today was very warm, like in the 40F range but overcast a bit and threatening rain. We made it back to the notch before 10AM.  This was nice as I had an 8 hour drive.

Overall we had a great trip I’m glad Col Sanders knew his limits and did the wise thing and bailed on a summit attempt. Much further up and we would have had to go back down with him putting all our summit goals in jeopardy. I’m sure he’ll be back next year. I hope my wife will be there next year, also. It was a bummer without her.

Photos are here

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
collama Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice.  Seems like a pretty good time to Mt Washington.  You get to see the area snow covered without too much snow on the ground to deal with.  Sorry to hear Col Sanders didn't make it up to the summit, but congrats to you and Glam Backpacker! That's a pretty good achievement in winter conditions.  I've done it only in Summer but your TR has made me add it to the list of things to do in winter.  

And thanks to your wife for her service.  Whether fighting overseas or helping with disasters at home, it's important work.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice pictures, eggs. Looks like you had a nice amount of snow and ice, which made for some wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing!
 Post Number: 4
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Enjoyed the TR and especially the photos!

Thanks to Bobbie for her service to this country. Sorry that she missed this year's trip!
 Post Number: 5
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man that camera of yours can really make crystal clear pics.

Looked like a nice hike.  Can't believe no one had crampons on.  Wasn't it slippery?

How cold did it get at night?

Small crew for sure this year.  Maybe next year.  Which means of course there will be a blizzard.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 6
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fantastic photos! Looks great in winter whites and blue skies. Thankfully, after my Presidential Traverse earlier this year, I can now actually make sense of the summit shots - these look even nicer with the snow. I'd love to do this in winter but am too chicken. :D

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
 Post Number: 7
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 5:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Nov. 12 2012, 8:10 pm)
Man that camera of yours can really make crystal clear pics.

Looked like a nice hike.  Can't believe no one had crampons on.  Wasn't it slippery?

How cold did it get at night?

Small crew for sure this year.  Maybe next year.  Which means of course there will be a blizzard.

We used Microspikes I think you can see mine on in the summit photos of me.

Friday night dropped into the 20F range then Sat it actually got warm and was in the high 30F range

Come on out the more the merrier. Nov 8 2013 we'll be back

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 8
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those rime ice shots look other worldly.  Love that stuff.  

Looks like a fun trip, and it's making me look forward to what's (hopefully) in store this winter!!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
7 replies since Nov. 12 2012, 4:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mt Washington Trip this year
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions