2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: TR: Thunder Swamp Trail, Annual Brothers Adventure into the woods< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 11:31 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As we do, or have been for the past few years, my three brothers and I ventured into the woods for our annual Brother's Camping Trip.  This years choice was Thunder Swamp Trail in the Delaware State Forest.

The weather conditions were overcast and damp, the whole trail was like a rainforest.  Every rock and root was covered in lichen and moss, which when damp, made for a very slippery jaunt.  I swear for every step I took, I needed to take two or three just to make forward progress, I just couldn't seem to get my rhythm to avoid the ankle biters.  Having a heel spur didn't help at the end of the day, I was in immense pain but after relaxing in camp and stretching, I was 'good' as new.

We parked two cars with the plan of doing eight miles on Saturday and 5+ on Sunday.  We had a tight schedule on Sunday to be back at the car in time to get some lunch and get my brother home at 5.  Being who we were, we got a late start Saturday morning but covered the mileage in time to gather wood and set up camp before dark.  The mist rolled in around 9 and started to saturate everything.  We had a beautiful campsite right near this water slide.  There was also a large opening in the canopy there, but with the cloud cover, there was no way we were seeing the stars or the moon.

We spend the night chatting about several things, including my older brother popping the question to his girlfriend, wanted to let us know ahead of time.  Then there was the fart jokes, movie quotes and other random brotherly love that we used to enjoy when we all lived at home.

The hike on Sunday was very nice, scenery wise, and for the most part the trail was better than the way in, but the rocks still took their toll and I was sore once more in no time.

Some of the nicest parts were when we went through the Hemlocks, so nice.  They smell wonderful and the ground always feels softer to walk on.  I saw one that was easily close to three feet in diameter, always impressive.

We made it to the car, stretched, did some grooming and headed to lunch.  We made awesome time and had an awesome lunch at Alaskan Jacks, or I think that's what it was called.

All in all I can't complain.  I was out in the woods, spending time with my brothers and using my gear.  I slept warm, was dry (until I dunked my boot all the way in on a stream crossing) and ate well.  I really just wish my foot didn't hurt so much, got to get it checked out.  Ready for the next adventure for sure.  Will post pictures when I'm back on the home computer.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice trip report Steve. Would be better with photos :)

That trail is a bugger. I think I broke a hiking pole on it catching myself almost falling one too many times.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No deadly stream crossings?  I guess the new bridge is still up on Saw Creek.  

Congratulations to your brother (assuming she says "yes").  :)
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know Eggs, when I get home I'll post the photos.  I tried to get them on my dropbox account but they haven't transferred from my home computer to this one yet.  But yes, when the trail guide says to wear sturdy hiking boots, they aren't kidding.  If I'd have had trail shoes on, I think I would have broke my ankle seconds out of the truck.

BL, yes, the bridge was there and icy as snot.  How long ago did they reconstruct it?  Looked new-er.  Bounced, a lot when we crossed it.  Any thoughts why they would have put steps on one side and a ramp on the other?

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the bridge replacement was two years ago.  Its predecessor had been out for something like six years.  I don't know anything about the design, but maybe there was worse flood damage on one side that they worked around instead of rebuilding the way it was.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Ml1t7Igptag/UL1bkBqv8YI/AAAAAAAAAtU/DHhbzCs2HQk/s800/DSC03044.JPG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Ml1t7I....044.JPG[img]

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7l8C5W....047.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4klZPS....048.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ffDKMn....084.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-C6ETxi....088.JPG

--------------
 Post Number: 7
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good for you and your brothers. I am dying to get myself out. Looks like January I will be going for a night or two. How did your tent hold up? I'm not sure if it was you or not that posted about copper spur problems with the fly getting saturated...  Well, anyway,  nice you and your brothers get out together and thanks for sharing.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 10:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gotta, yeah, it was me.  The last link shows the picture of the inside of the tent the next morning.

I had the vents both open and it was pretty well guided out.  It wasn't very taunt mind you, but there was zero wind so I didn't think it was nesc. to go crazy.  Around 7 or 8 this mist rolled in and by morning everything was saturated with dew.  Between the condensation and the dew, it's no wonder the fly was soaked inside, but I still don't get it, I never had a tent accumulate so much moisture.  Big Anges said it's normal.  I'm sending them a picture of the fly right now to see what they say.  I love the tent other than that.  My brothers was just as wet so I can only imagine that if his was that wet and mine was, then it's normal.  Like my wife said, just haven't had a break with that tent when camping when it wasn't damp/wet out.

Good luck getting out, I'm ready for our next trip.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Way cool you get to go out like that with your brothers.  Neither of mine backpack anymore.  And of my husband's three brothers only one still does any backpacking.  It's a special time to share.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Dec. 05 2012, 10:41 pm)
Around 7 or 8 this mist rolled in and by morning everything was saturated with dew.  Between the condensation and the dew, it's no wonder the fly was soaked inside, but I still don't get it, I never had a tent accumulate so much moisture.  

Yeah, the "Swamp" part of the name is no joke.  There's enough dry ground to go around, but not much dry air.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big Load, you're not kidding.  I don't mind the water so much in the form of the creeks, it was a very pretty setting indeed.  I haven't fallen asleep to the sound of a waterfall ever I think when camping, so it was nice.  Still didn't overpower my brother's snoring, but it made it less abusive.

Rebecca, my oldest used to work for a company called I.Goldberg.  It was an outfitter/army navy type place.  I loved that store.  All of us were part of Indian Guides and Trail Blazers (sorta like cub and boy scouts) so we all had some form of enjoyment from camping.  The oldest moved to the shore and always fishes, this is the only time of year he does any hiking/backpacking.  It is nice to get out all of us, we're all very opinionated so it can get interesting, some have thicker skin than others, which makes it fun.  We'll see how long we can hold out the tradition.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh man..that is a lot of wetness in there!!! Do you use a down bag/quilt? How was that? Did it get wet? I have a Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 that I use when I take kids or a friend out with me, but I have not had substantial rain or mist or fog like you encountered..yet, and I use a down quilt....whew, all that moisture sucks huh?

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a down mummy bag.  It was fine.  My brother used my other bag which is synthetic and it was fine.

Those drips were only when I touched the roof of the tent, from the inside.  There was no actual wetness in the tent.  The walls of the tent weren't wet either.

Maybe I don't pitch it tight enough.  I'm tempted to do some trials in my yard, with it pitched tight and see how it does.

The thing that really concerns me about this is that when I ever, god willing, spend more than one day on the trail and the fly is wet, then everything in the pack will be wet, which might make my clothes/sleeping bag wet.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Dec. 06 2012, 3:10 pm)
The thing that really concerns me about this is that when I ever, god willing, spend more than one day on the trail and the fly is wet, then everything in the pack will be wet, which might make my clothes/sleeping bag wet.

I put a wet tent in the external pocket.  I keep wet rain gear there, too.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Dec. 06 2012, 3:10 pm)

I use stuff sacks for my gear..cloths, tent and sleeping bag all get their own sack...you could always stuff the wet fly in outside pocket of pack..echoing what big_load said...

--------------

author unknown
14 replies since Dec. 03 2012, 11:31 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply TR: Thunder Swamp Trail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions