2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Snow and ice at Hocking Hills, Ohio, Trip Report (1/27/13)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 11:35 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Out of all the places I've visited so far in the northeast, Ohio's Hocking Hills State Park would be my choice for America's next National Park. Soaring cliffs and huge caves, balletic waterfalls, a natural bridge and the tallest trees in the state are just some of the attractions. Hocking Hills is one of my favorite places in my current neck of the woods.

It had been a while since my last visit, so on a frigid morning I loaded up the camera and hiking gear and made the 3.5hr drive, southwest from Pittsburgh. I knew that time management would be difficult, since I also wanted to hike a bit, but was ready to be flexible.

Old Man's Cave to Cedar Falls

It was 7:45am, when I reached the parking lot at the Old Man's Cave complex. The temperature was 9F. Getting out of the warm car took some persuasion! However, as soon as I descended down into the narrow gorge my motivation level soared. Sandstone cliffs rose loomed high, on either side. Icy Old Man's Creek meandered beside me. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it wasn't frozen solid; the burbling sounds made for some lovely music. Icicles festooned the cliffs, some in banks like a layered keyboard, while snow crunched underfoot. I first made my way to the head of the gorge, past Devil's Bathtub, where pretty Upper Falls graces an amphitheater of sandstone cliffs. The waterfall was mostly frozen, but a bit of water was still flowing amidst a lacy curtain of ice. Taking photographs was a real challenge, since taking off the heavy gloves for any extended period of time, would leave me with numb fingers. My thinner gloves, which I use for photography, were useless.

Old Man's Cave: Devil's Bathtub
Devil's Bathtub

Old Man's Cave: Upper Falls
Upper Falls

From Upper Falls I backtracked and then headed deeper into the gorge. My plan was to hike the 3mi to Cedar Falls, then evaluate if I had time to hike another 3mi further to Ash Cave. The longer trip would be dependent on how much time I 'lost' to photography. I immediately proceeded to lose a whole bunch of time at Old Man's Cave, an enormous gash in the cliffs. The scale was so grand whenever I see it I'm reminded of the American West. The view of an ice bound landscape from inside the protection of the snow-free cave was otherworldly.

Old Man's Cave: Sheltered
Looking at a frozen world

A little further down the gorge was Lower Falls. This is an extremely graceful waterfall when flowing, but was completely frozen for me. Accordingly, I didn't spend much time here, since I was a eager to walk amidst the beautiful hemlock and hardwood forest that calls the lower gorge home. The tallest tree in Ohio, a 149ft hemlock, also lives here.

Old Man's Cave: Lower Falls
Lower Falls

Somewhat icy and snowy hiking, beside Old Man's Creek took me to a lovely spot where the gorge opened up. Here, I left Old Man's Creek and took a left alongside equally pretty Queer Creek. Throughout the hike, I'd pass huge hanging icicles, which would be shimmering waterfalls in summer. In one or two cases, some still were.

Hocking Hills: Towering trees and icicles
Towering trees and hanging waterfalls

Hocking Hills: Hemlock needles
Hemlock needles

Eventually, I reached a frozen Cedar Falls. While winter is a beautiful, much quieter time in Hocking Hills, Cedar Falls suffers. In summer, this is the most photogenic waterfall I've ever seen, so it was a shame to see nothing but ice instead. Oh well, you can't have everything.

By now, since I had one more attraction to visit, it was too late for me to hike further to Ash Cave, so I turned around. I took the gorge overlook trail on the way back, which stayed atop the gorge. I got the occasional view down into the gorge, but for the most part it was put down you head and hike time. The hemlocks here were also not nearly as impressive as the ones below.

Hocking Hills: Branches

Old Man's Cave: Snow and ice

Stats: 6mi, ~700ft gain

Rock House

After my Old Man's Cave Cedar Falls hike, I got back in the car and made the short 8mi drive to the Rock House parking lot. The Rock House is an amazing place: a 200ft long roomy hall, just inside and paralleling a 150ft tall cliff-face. Openings in the face of the cliff act as gothic windows and a door. The dark inside, with bands of sunshine and bright windows make the place great to experience, but a real challenge to photograph. My single previous attempt had been pathetic - this one was better, but not by much!

Rock House: Windows

Rock House: Textured walls

Stats: 0.5mi, 275ft gain

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been there a couple of times.  Amazing place, and it was quite a surprise that such a place existed in Ohio of all places.

--------------
The GPS Geek
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pics. The Rock House looks really neat from your pics.
 Post Number: 4
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, cool.  Never knew that existed there.

--------------
Im just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and its good to know its out of my control.  If theres one thing Ive learned from all this living is that it wouldnt change a thing if I let go
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 5
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful photos as always, Gali.  Thanks for sharing!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice. ???
 Post Number: 6
isawtman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I might add that the Buckeye Trail/North Country Trail goes through that park
 Post Number: 7
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks guys. :)

(isawtman @ Jan. 28 2013, 5:24 pm)
I might add that the Buckeye Trail/North Country Trail goes through that park

Whoops, I should have mentioned that the section of trail from Old Man's Cave to Cedar Falls that I hiked, and then onward to Ash Cave which I'd originally planned to hike too, is part of the Buckeye/North Country Trail. This section is also called the Grandma Gatewood Trail, named for the first woman to solo hike the Appalachian Trail.

A couple of additional things:
- Upon my return from the Rock House hike the temperature had warmed to 32F. When I started the car the soles of my semi-wet boots couldn't stay on the pedals. I think the pedals had accumulated a thin layer of ice! I had to wipe them and the mat down and turned the foot heater on full. Eventually things dried out. Whew.
- It seems I last visited Hocking Hills two years ago, on Jan 24th, so at almost exactly the same time of year. Then too it had been 9F when I started my hike!

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
 Post Number: 8
city2outdoors Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great Pictures! I liked the long exposure one the best.

--------------
From the City to the Outdoors.
7 replies since Jan. 28 2013, 11:35 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Snow and ice at Hocking Hills, Ohio
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions