2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: VIDEO:  Bruce Trail - Winter Backpack, 3 day hike on Ontario's Bruce Trail< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
theonecanoe Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 9:22 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello fellow hikers,   As the weather gets nicer I'm sure we're all planning spring and summer hikes.  I sure am looking forward to the nice weather, but this past winter the 'cabin fever' got the better of me.  My son and I embarked on a 3 day hike along a portion of Ontario's Bruce Trail.  The Bruce Trail is a          900 km long route located in South-Western Ontario, Canada.  It follows the rugged terrain of the Niagara Escarpment...yes, the same escarpment that Niagara Falls tumbles over. This past February we backpacked a 25 km stretch of the trail near Georgian Bay.  Here is a short video of our adventure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....ndex=1       

Cheers
      Wayne     :)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like a very pleasant outing.  Thanks for sharing.  One question - that looks like wonderful terrain for cross country skis.  Any reason you didn't ski it.  Just curious.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
theonecanoe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi hikerjer,   Glad you liked the video.  In regards to your question about cross-country skiing.  Originally we planned on taking our snowshoes, but left them in our car when we saw how well-packed the trails were, and the weather forecast was for no snow.  But, yes, cross country skis would have been good on about 70% of the trail, at the top of the escarpment where things were pretty level, however the remaining 30% of the trail that was steep, winding ,boulder strewn and would have made it very challenging on cross country skis.
  Wayne
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(theonecanoe @ May 23 2013, 8:58 am)
remaining 30% of the trail that was steep, winding ,boulder strewn and would have made it very challenging on cross country skis.
  Wayne

Got ya.   Been there, done that.  In cases like that, I'm never to proud to take off my skis and carry them.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice TR guys.  Love winter hiking! I've heard the advice before to start melting snow with water in the pan, and I have no doubt that it's true. But can anyone explain, chemically that is, how it's possible to scorch H2O?
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 1:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(PanatomicX @ May 25 2013, 2:40 pm)
Nice TR guys.  Love winter hiking! I've heard the advice before to start melting snow with water in the pan, and I have no doubt that it's true. But can anyone explain, chemically that is, how it's possible to scorch H2O?

I don't think you so much scorch the H2O, as boil any water away that comes from the snow without water previously being in the pan.  You may well then scorcth the pan.  Just my take based on my experience.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Krocker360 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 30 2013, 10:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It seems you got an amazing outing!In the video I can see that you're enjoying it a lot, looks like everything run according to plans no hassle and problems come along.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
6 replies since May 11 2013, 9:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply VIDEO:  Bruce Trail - Winter Backpack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions