2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: TR: Grand Canyon 2013, annual Spring trip< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 8:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

slide show here

This year, Zeke n Zach decided to ask another hiker along.  Jeff and I are married to 2 sisters, and he is an avid hiker and climber.  I asked him if he would like to come along, and he said "very much so".  Boy did we have him fooled right from the start.

So, we flew into PHX and got the car on April 12th, driving up to the Rim for the night.  Next morning, we grabbed the bus to hermit's Rest and ate breakfast at the Rest.  I dropped to the back of the line for the trip down, as I had some trouble with my knee last year on the downhill, so I did not want to slow down the other 2.  We were carrying water for the entire trip down, even though we had to go past Santa Maria Springs.  

Group gear included 2 stoves, 2 filters, 2 pots, and a large tarp with stakes.  No one had a pot large enough for all 3 of our FBC meals, so we decided on using 2 pots.  It is a god thing we had 2 filters, as mine self destructed on Day 1, but more on that later.

As we descended, Jeff informed us he wanted to summit Look Out Point.  We thought he was joking, but as we ambled alongside it, he dropped his pack.  Z n Z dropped our packs and watched as Jeff practically ran up to the hillside and disappeared around the back.  Soon, he was standing on top.  The rest of the way downhill was more typical.  Cathedral Stairs was awe inspiring, and the trail through the rock slide appeared to have been worked on as it was not as bad as I recalled it being.

Once we hit Hermit Creek Campground, we set off to see if the Dormitory was still open.  There were 3 parties already in camp, but no one had claimed the spot I felt was the best.  We settled in for the evening, and watched the sky turn as the sun cast its glow upon the rock.  My knee had not liked the downhill, but it was only a 3 on a pain scale as opposed to last year's 9.

Day 2 was a short day, back up to the Tonto, over to Monument Creek, and down to Granite Rapids.  We got to the Monument very early, and were still in the shade most of the way down the creek bed.  We turned right when we hit the beach, and walked to the far end where there is a nice little calm bay to clean up in.  The water was much too cold for swimming, but I managed to get my self wet up to my navel before I was afraid of causing a heart attack.  So, I washed out my shirt and put it back on to dry.  

Soon, rafting people started showing up.  We watched 6-8 boats stop, scout out the rapids, and then float them close to the North shoreline.  After they left, we settled in for the long afternoon.  A group of 4 boats pulled in about 2:30 and asked if we were going to spend the night?  When they leaned we had every intention of doing so, they politely asked if we minded if the join us.  Right nice of them, but we did not feel we had any claims to the entire stretch of beach.  They gave us 4 Fat Tires, and 2 Root Beers for their  accommodations.  Fair trade, in our opinion. Jeff asked for something other than beer, so he got the sodas.  

The wind was strong, and blew sand in our faces, no matter which way we turned.  It continued to do so all night.  We were Cowboy camping, so there was no respite.  By 6 AM, we were ready for some other weather.  We packed up and headed back up Monument Creek.  When we arrived in the campsites at the top of the creek, it was not evident where we picked up the Tonto again, so we spent a little time looking for it. Once located, we were off again.  

Day 3 was along the Tonto, past Cedar Springs, and spending the night at Salt Creek.  Salt has no good water, so we were hauling water from Monument to indian Gardens.  Jeff is used to hiking in the PNW where water is very frequent.  This was new to him.  When we stopped at Cedar Springs to show him the big dry fall drop, he was most impressed.

Salt Creek is a big open expanse of ground with a few house sized blocks of rock.  No refuge from the wind there either.  We thought we might get a Magic Carpet ride on one of the sleeping pads, especially since Jeff only weighs about 140.

Day 4, and we headed off to horn and then to indian Gardens.  There was a couple at Horn, and they said they had a great night sleeping in the shelter of the trees there.  I do not believe them.  By 10 in the morning, we were at the Plateau Point junction, and we were well ahead of schedule.  We lounged around Indian Gardens for a long afternoon, and went out to the Point for sunset.  It was not promising, with so many clouds, but right before the sun went down, it was able to shine under the clouds for a spell.  Well worth the wait, IMO.

Day 5, we were on our way out of the Canyon.  At the car by 9:35 and off to Flagstaff for gasoline and a cheeseburger.  Mama's is a favorite.  I had a guacamole burger, fries, and a chocolate milk shake.  Then, we checked into our hotel in Phoenix and cleaned up. Jeff needed to catch his plane at 7, so we dropped him off and went to Los Dos Molinos for dinner.  Hot!.  Good food.  But hot. I like my food spicy, but did I say this was hot?  Nearly too hot to eat, but I was not wasting any of this good stuff.  Couple of microbrews helped me wash it all down.

Day 6 was a nice day hike our near Apache junction, at the Lost Dutchman State Park.   Zach went all the way up to the top of Flatiron, while Zeke went about halfway and sat in the shade for 4 hours awaiting his return.  That night we ate at Barrio Cafe, which was much nicer.  Linen tablecloths, and a real chef.  It was mostly Mexico City cuisine and very tasty.  I finished it off with Flan.

Day 7 was an overnight hike out near the Canyon Reservoir, still beyond Apache Junction.  We climbed a ridge line, dropped around a large hill, and down into the stream bed of LaBarge Canyon.  Dry as a bone when we started, but within a few miles we began to see water.  Another mile, and we saw running rivulets.   About 6 miles in, we came across what we were looking for:  a canyon with swimming holes and shade trees.  We spent the night there, and walked back out in the morning.  

Saturday we took in Oblivion, with Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman.  Well worth the $ in my book.  Ate Steak and salad, with a beer, and hit the rack.  Flew home on Sunday the 21st.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 10:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like a good time  

Thanks for the TR and pictures

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 3
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That 7th photo, yucca1, is awesome!

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 10:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, Gali.  I thought so also.  I really like the way it turned out.  For the rest of you.

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks and sounds like a perfect trip.

Thanks.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 6
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How are your knees?

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 7
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the TR!  Makes me want to rip this cast off and get out there.  :)   My son's first canyon hike was a variation of this route -- brought back nice memories.

We got a nice view of Monument creek canyon from the rim last earlier this month.  I don't think I'd ever seen the view from 'Monument Creek Vista' on Hermit Road before with a clear shot all the way down the canyon to Granite Rapids.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 8
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Chuck, I am getting a referral to a Physical Therapist to see if there is something I can do at the gym to help with my ailment.  Nothing appears to be wrong, in the x-rays or the alignment, so I can hope for a few exercises to learn.

TF-  I am always humored by the views of the various campsites from Hermit Road viewpoints.  Nothing like looking down on the very places we camped, only to realize just how visible those toilets are from on top.  :)  They have also placed chemical toilets at all of the designated campsites along that portion of the trail.  I was last there about 10 years ago, and the only official toilets were at Monument, Hermit Creek, and Indian Gardens.  I think I like the more remote trails in the Canyon because it gives me more of a feeling of exploration if I do not have facilities provided for me.

When were you last on the Deer Creek loop?  Did it have any "improvements"?  That is one trail I would like to repeat soon.

--------------

Post Number: 9
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the report Zeke.  My hike through the Grand Canyon a year ago (Grandview TH to Hermit's Rest TR) was one of the best of my life. Hope to head down there again next winter.

One question.  You made mention of a dormitory at Hermit's Rest CG.  I'm not familiar with it.  Could you elaborate.

Thanks for sharing.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Apr. 23 2013, 9:24 am)
[color=maroon]Chuck, I am getting a referral to a Physical Therapist to see if there is something I can do at the gym to help with my ailment.  Nothing appears to be wrong, in the x-rays or the alignment, so I can hope for a few exercises to learn.

Zeke, looks like a great trip. Hope we get to do one one of these days!

About the knee--I have no idea of course what is the trouble with yours, but I know my DH gets knee pain sometimes when running too much.  He seems to be able to avoid this by biking more.  Not in place of running--in addition. Something about the biking seems to strengthen whatever is weak.  Just a thought.  "More" for him is in addition to his three-mile RT commute.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 11
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PT today said it all looks good, but gave me some exercises to do to strengthen that knee.  Some pain still residual from the Canyon, so that will slightly impact which exercises I can do more of.  20 reps of each, for 7 different exercises.  I go back in a week, so I will try to be diligent.  

--------------

Post Number: 12
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice TR!!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 13
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well done man.

If you make it to Wyoming I know some incredible trails/routes that shouldn't tax the knee to much.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 14
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

love your yucca photo... very cool

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 15
OnDaRox Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 11:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great trip report and pics, sounds like you had a good time!

By the way, Los Dos Molinos is probably my favorite restaurant in Phoenix, I usually plan my flights around their hours so I get at least one meal there when I'm in town. Amazingly I don't think it's as hot as it used to be.  Try Arribas Mexican Grill sometime too, also hot from those fresh Hatch Valley green chiles.

Thanks for sharing.  Good luck with the knee.

Tom
 Post Number: 16
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice TR Zeke. Very dramatic country. We have to do some hiking down south one spring. Hope the knee feels better!
 Post Number: 17
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm diggin' the Yucca photo too. :)  Great trip.  I still have to make it down there at some point.  Thusfar I've only seen the canyon from the rim, which just won't do.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 18
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice TR. Thanks for sharing.
17 replies since Apr. 22 2013, 8:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply TR: Grand Canyon 2013
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions