2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: pre-trip weigh in< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 1:51 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This evening held the final pack adjustments and pre-trip weigh in on my digital scale.  Then took a few pics outside for the record.  Two of us are about to embark on a 9-day backpack from a 7.8k Mineral King trailhead in Sequoia National Park over Sawtooth Pass at 11.7k a 3900 foot climb steeply over 3 miles.  Well at least the more direct partly off trail way we are taking up the old Monarch Creek route since the nauseating switchbacking horse trail is over twice that distance.  Total trip vertical up and down shows 8900 feet over 29 miles, a modest amount off trail.

Over 4 decades I've averaged 4.5 backpacking trips a year and have been over Sawtooth, a notorious sandy slog over the last 1.4k on a disintegrated "trail" on the Great Western Divide twice before.  We did a weekend warmup trip carrying about 10 pounds less, 3 weeks earlier.  With the extra food and the disliked Garcia canister, my pack weight will be 64 pounds with boots 3.5, clothing 2.0 and pocket stuff 0.5 for an ugly 70 pound carrying weight.  My current body weight is 138 pounds and height 66 inches.  So yeah 50% and yep it is cruel.  Been walking up and down 9 feet over 14 stairs in my apartment the last few days.  After 20 reps sweat be dripping.  

Osprey Aether 70 backpack.   In the pics above numbers are:

1 = a potato chip container protecting the top of my fishing rod.
2 = spare sock wrapped around a clear plastic tube protecting my fishing rod.  Also a 2 mil polyethelene 50 gallon 36x50 inch  garbage bag for storm storage of gear is wrapped around the outside of the tube so the sock buffers it and is stuffed in the left side pocket.  
3 = an OR fanny pack with inside my Canon SX130 12mp camera and various small photo gear.
4 = Blue Nalgene water bottle on a carabiner.
5 = Marmot Pinnacle 15F 800 fill sleeping bag
6 = Vasque Bitterroot bombproof boots
7 = Induro CT113 graphite tripod with a Manfrotto MH054M0 ballhead
8 = Rear elastic side sleeve on the Aether 70 I stuffed my Thermarest Neoair pad into plus a blue plastic ground sheet for my Big Agnes UL1 tent that is inside the pack.  

Inside 1 & 2 is my new Fenwick GT 4 piece 7.5 foot graphite rod I just received last week via Amazon.   A 5 piece Fenwick rod I've had for over 2 decades fit inside the clear tube but the largest ferrule on the GT was too wide so I improvised with the potato chip tube.  

The Aether has a lower divider in the main compartment intended for a sleeping bag but as shown mine is outside strapped in back of that.  Instead inside that lower compartment is the Garcia stuffed with most of 10.7 pounds of food is along with my pack rain cover and Helly Hansen Voss rain suit. Above it in the main compartment filling most of the space is a really light North Face daypack containing my Wisner 4x5 large format camera, 3 lenses, 5 film holders each containing 2 each sheets of Provia 100F transparency film, and my Shepherd Polaris lightmeter.  Outside the daypack is also a change bag and 40 additional sheets of film.

All the rest of the usual gear is stuffed in around that.  Even minus all the camera gear, my pack is heavier than normal and have a long list of small items. The person I'll be with is a serious fisherman so since we are visiting prime golden trout country, I have a set of spin fishing gear tiny flies mostly #16 and #18 and various metal lures like Kastmasters.  As a twentysomething I went into the Sierra Nevada as a fisherman and 10 years later transformed my main interest into photography though still enjoy fishing if other fishermen are along and am skilled.  On solo trips I often shed the weight of any fishing gear.

Food includes 8 freeze dried dinners, 3 non-meat dinners, and a list of other stuff including granola, trail mix, dried fruit, candy, etc.  Also rice to mix with at least 4 golden trout dinners we are sure to feast on.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HYOH.  Have a great trip.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You are a glutton for punishment, it seems.  :)  Have a good time, and remember to share some photos when you get back.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You could always sand down the potato chip tube to make the walls a bit thinner and save some grams.

Have fun, I'll be sending good vibes to your knees.
 Post Number: 5
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dang, that's the normal weight of my pack for my 14-17 day trips in the Wind's carrying a camera and fishing gear !

My 26 day trip in the Beartooths with extra food /fuel for 3 more emergency days was "only" 85 lbs TH weight, carrying a tank of a Dslr, 3 spare batteries and 2 different lenses, as well as a spinning rod, a fly rod, flies etc

HYOH and have a great time !!

PS: A timely trip report with multiple photos 1 day after exiting the BC is mandatory as well !!

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 6
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In two weeks, my son and I will be embarking on a milestone trip.  His pack will be heavier than mine.  He's also 5" taller an 45lbs heavier than I am, and in better shape (running and working out for football).

It seems like only yesterday that the kids carried their own sleeping bags, pads, clothes, tin cups and snacks and I was carrying everything else.

Dave,

I would try to get that camera closer to my center-of-balance and higher up.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jul. 12 2013, 2:20 pm)
Dave,

I would try to get that camera closer to my center-of-balance and higher up.

Yep you've got the right idea but my details were tersely vague.

The heaviest item is the Garcia and that is at waist level.  Next heaviest is the Wisner and that is inside the main compartment inside the mentioned North Face daypack just above the Garcia and close to my back.  On top of that is are the 3 lenses and film holders also near my back.  Only other weighty items are my MSR Whisperlite, fuel bottle, and fishing kit.  Those last three are at the top of the main compartment so I can easily get at them.  

Well thanks guys for the encouragement as I will need it.  At my age a guy is not supposed to be able to do this sort of thing and one of these trips I'm likely to throw a rod, hit the cement wall, and be resigned to much lower weights and in our backcountries trips much less ambitious.   Was thinking the same thing last winter pounding down moguls skiing but the droughty winter sort of short circuited finding out.  Four finger knuckles already have arthritis bumps so it isn't like my whole body is still sailing along clean.  

Well its off to the Sawtooth Pas challenge.  See yall.

--------------
...David

Post Number: 8
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How much glucosamine you taking?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 9
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Crap that's heavy.... my 13 day, 115 mile thru the Winds pack started at 41lbs.
 Post Number: 10
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 12:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow. I like your organization. Everything is very well thought out. Please post pictures.
 Post Number: 11
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have a great trip.  I hear the Sierra trout are shaking in their shoes, ah, make that fins.

BTW, that's my pack.  I've carried that much in it so I'll be interested in knowing how it carried.  Keep us posted.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 12
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jul. 20 2013, 7:40 pm)
BTW, that's my pack.

Dave, I think Jer wants it back. :D

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

hikerjer "BTW, that's my pack...."

Notice that yellow green olive drab color?  Used to be green when you bought it.  After I took it, I peed all over the insides so you're not going like it anymore.  (:

After 3 years use, been quite impressed how it has been able to withstand the thread and seam busting forces I've filled it with along with the way I tend to toss it onto the ground getting out of the monster.   Also praise for the designer who added all manner of straps and attachments I've found surprising uses for.  

======================

Well I didn't croak as am writing this now.   First couple days were punishing but been there done that before.   But by the end of the trip was moving around at least like an old chipmunk.  So just like when I woke up in the morning decades ago in a barracks boot camp knowing the DI would have us march for miles all day carrying packs in the hot San Antonio sun, one just has to grin and bear it. Makes one wonder what thoughts go through a pack mule's noggin?  

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1166110

--------------
...David

12 replies since Jul. 11 2013, 1:51 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply pre-trip weigh in
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions