2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Rebeccas In Canada, 1: Seattle to GNP Canada< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2013, 3:05 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This summer we packed the family into our little car, loaded the pod, and pointed our nose north.  The first stop was Seattle, for family visits, which included some urban hiking.  Circumambulating Lake Union, we found ourselves in the middle of the Wooden Boat Festival.

A few days later, we were back on the road, headed north again.  We crossed the border successfully, and just kept going north and east.

We got in late to the Illecilleweat campground in Glacier National Park of Canada, and here hit the first major snag of the trip: we couldn't find Eldest Son's sleeping bag.  Apparently at a gear-readjustment stop it had fallen out.  Someone somewhere has found a rather nice, if 30+-year-old, down mummy bag, possibly in the Safeway parking lot in Monroe, WA.  Since we were far from anywhere and it was about ten p.m., we made do.

After a sometimes chilly night for some, we got up and found ourselves in the middle of the park.  Of course, since it never seemed to get dark up there (not before we were asleep, anyway), we'd actually seen quite a lot the day before.

The Visitor's Center at Rogers Pass:

They helped us get maps and pick a dayhike.  

By mid-morning, we were headed up the trail to Balu Pass, an 8-mile round trip to get some great views of the Columbia Range (not officially the Canadian Rockies yet).

Promising-looking country:

it was too early for most flowers, but we saw some of the ones that come out as soon as the snow is off:

We got to the pass pretty quickly, and oddly (given our less-than-early start), no one else seemed to have gotten there ahead of us.

Our boys raced each other to the snowfields on the way down, in order to get an edge in the on-going snowball fight.

That was it for GNPofC.  By early afternoon, we were on our way toward the Rockies again, with a stop in Golden, BC, at the only outdoor gear shop around.  Happily, we were able to find a suitable sleeping bag, which Eldest Son seems to like better than the lost bag. We ended the day at Kickinghorse Campground in Yoho National Park. . . that TR comes next!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice pics and sounds like a fun trip.  You can never go wrong with hitting up, even if accidentally, a wooden boat showing.

We forgot our sons water shoes, being two hours from town, he made due barefooted.  ;)

I'm sure your son will enjoy the new bag.  ;)

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I was a kid we all went barefoot just about everywhere in summer.  So did my kids when little.  It's only in the last few years we've bothered with camp/water shoes for them.

Yeah, Eldest Son likes the new bag much better.  We got a Thermarest bag with differential insulation, which allows it to be much wider at the shoulders for about the same weight.  He's not very big, but I think he sleeps like I do--in motion.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2013, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do the guys know you refer to the family as the Rebeccas?  :)

Nice pictures, and I will enjoy whatever you post before 9 tomorrow morning, your time.  I will be gone for a week, headed back for the second half of the XC drive.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2013, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Aug. 16 2013, 4:30 pm)
Do the guys know you refer to the family as the Rebeccas?  :)

Nice pictures, and I will enjoy whatever you post before 9 tomorrow morning, your time.  I will be gone for a week, headed back for the second half of the XC drive.  

Zeke, to question A, the answer is, I'm not sure.  My mom does, because I usually send her the links to read my TRs (yeah, so she reads all youse guyses comments, too!)

And the rate I've been going with the photos, you'll be done with your drive (sounds like you are taking a more rational pace this time!) before I get the next section up.  I've been busy!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 6
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful mountains, fun report.  Keep 'em coming.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 7
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great TR -- thanks!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
6 replies since Aug. 16 2013, 3:05 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Rebeccas In Canada
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions