2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Rebeccas In Canada 2, Yoho National Park< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 4:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We spent about 5 nights in Yoho NP, partly waiting for the right weather for our first long dayhike, partly trying to get a little fitter so it wouldn't kill us.

The first morning we started early, hoping for the good weather, but it seemed dubious, so we hiked around Emerald Lake.  The water so early was very calm and no one was about.

Got some great reflections:

We stopped on the way out to check out where the Kicking Horse River has carved a natural bridge in the ubiquitous limestone.

Later, as the rain hit, we checked out Takakkaw Falls, 4th highest in Canada (1260').  It's not a straight shot--partway down it hits a ledge and shoots out like a firehose or something.

We also discovered the train tunnels on Kicking Horse Pass--two "spiral tunnels" that loop inside the mountain to allow the trains to effectively swtichback up the pass.  Our boys watched a long time for a train, but we didn't see one that day.

Two days later, we finally got our good weather.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Our first big challenge for the trip was the 12-mile, 3000' Emerald Lake-Burgess Pass "Wapta Highline" loop.  This is not only an incredibly scenic trail, but took us right past the Walcott Quarry where the first big discovery of Burgess Shale fossils took place in 1909.  These fossils were the first big clue to the wild diversity of life that sprang up in the Cambrian Explosion, and were pretty seriously misunderstood until the 1980s.  You can't visit the actual quarry without a guide (for obvious reasons) but we were on the hunt for trail-side fossils.

The hike started at daybreak, back at Emerald Lake.

From the end of the lake we headed up the broad alluvial fan, climbing very gradually, so that we only really noticed it when we got to the start of the serious climb and looked back.
Heading up the gravel fan:

I think it epitomizes the over-abundance of spectacular scenery in Canada, that we found an amazing waterfall which is not only nameless, but not even on the map.  It started small:

But as we climbed we saw more and more of it, until we saw this:
http://imageshack.com/a/img29/5064/w2fg.jpg
Note that the first little bit we saw is off the bottom of this picture.  We did a lot of climbing--the loop is actually fairly flat, except where it isn't.  So you gain--and lose--the elevation in a painful hurry.

Looking down on Emerald Lake from along the Wapta Highline:

You could tell this wasn't granite country.

Finally, a sign that we are getting close:

We started looking closely at the shale all around us, and sure enough, fossils:

We spent a long time rooting around there, until the combined forces of weather and a need for lunch drove us on over to Burgess Pass.  From there we could see down to the Kicking Horse River, flanked by Trans Canada 1 and the railroad.  Our trail led the other way, back to Emerald Lake, but dropped nearly as far and as fast.

I can't deny that my feet (and a few other things) hurt like the dickens by the time we were down (and having to crawl over, under, or around about 18 downed trees in the 3-mile descent didn't help), but I was pleased that we'd been able to do it.

And, of course, such an outing deserved a treat:

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 3
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice!  I love all the pictures with the great commentary.  Thank you!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keep the great reports coming!

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 5
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Emerald Lake is stunning, and the Kicking Horse River natural bridge seems full of photographic possibilities! Thanks for all the lovely photos and the nice report.

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
 Post Number: 6
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 11:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Aug. 21 2013, 7:19 pm)
Nice!  I love all the pictures with the great commentary.  Thank you!

I was way overdue for setting up an Imageshack account so I could put more than one picture in a post!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 7
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2013, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stunning pictures. Thanks for taking time to share.
 Post Number: 8
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2013, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oldnolder @ Aug. 23 2013, 4:22 pm)
Stunning pictures. Thanks for taking time to share.

BTW, we did NOT highjack the ice cream truck.  But the driver did bring in the order for that store and open the cases to get us what we wanted. We bought two pints (well, half-litres, since it was Canada).

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 9
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 28 2013, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice TR Rebecca! Great times to share with the whole family!
 Post Number: 10
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2013, 12:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, how is it I've never even heard of Yoho NP until now?  Amazing.  I've been reading about it for the last hour now, thanks to this great trip report bringing it to my attention.  Thanks!
I love the ice cream truck, so funny.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 11
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2013, 12:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know why Yoho doesn't get much press.  Well, I guess I do--it's overshadowed by Banff and Jasper and the big glaciers.  But the paleontology is there!  

And I SOOOO wanted to hijack that ice cream truck.  Though even just the two pints we bought (for about $15--ouch!) was enough to make us sick :p

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 12
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2013, 7:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the report -- really enjoying it.  Your family trip reports keep getting added to my "we gotta do this" list!

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 13
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2013, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The whole area should definitely be on anyone's list.

I'm planning to get a report on our first of two pack trips up there out soon, but kind of want to wait until after the software switch.  Though I guess I could just save a copy in case it disappears.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 14
TrailMonk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 30 2013, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Aug. 21 2013, 4:58 pm)
Our first big challenge for the trip was the 12-mile, 3000' Emerald Lake-Burgess Pass "Wapta Highline" loop.  This is not only an incredibly scenic trail, but took us right past the Walcott Quarry where the first big discovery of Burgess Shale fossils took place in 1909.  These fossils were the first big clue to the wild diversity of life that sprang up in the Cambrian Explosion, and were pretty seriously misunderstood until the 1980s.  You can't visit the actual quarry without a guide (for obvious reasons) but we were on the hunt for trail-side fossils.

The hike started at daybreak, back at Emerald Lake.

From the end of the lake we headed up the broad alluvial fan, climbing very gradually, so that we only really noticed it when we got to the start of the serious climb and looked back.
Heading up the gravel fan:

I think it epitomizes the over-abundance of spectacular scenery in Canada, that we found an amazing waterfall which is not only nameless, but not even on the map.  It started small:

But as we climbed we saw more and more of it, until we saw this:
http://imageshack.com/a/img29/5064/w2fg.jpg
Note that the first little bit we saw is off the bottom of this picture.  We did a lot of climbing--the loop is actually fairly flat, except where it isn't.  So you gain--and lose--the elevation in a painful hurry.

Looking down on Emerald Lake from along the Wapta Highline:

You could tell this wasn't granite country.

Finally, a sign that we are getting close:

We started looking closely at the shale all around us, and sure enough, fossils:

We spent a long time rooting around there, until the combined forces of weather and a need for lunch drove us on over to Burgess Pass.  From there we could see down to the Kicking Horse River, flanked by Trans Canada 1 and the railroad.  Our trail led the other way, back to Emerald Lake, but dropped nearly as far and as fast.

I can't deny that my feet (and a few other things) hurt like the dickens by the time we were down (and having to crawl over, under, or around about 18 downed trees in the 3-mile descent didn't help), but I was pleased that we'd been able to do it.

And, of course, such an outing deserved a treat:

Great photos keep on hiking.
13 replies since Aug. 21 2013, 4:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Rebeccas In Canada 2
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions