2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mt Kathadin, Hiking mount Katahdin< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
johnnyboy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 5:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mt Katahdin, ME

Starting at Roaring Brook Campground, we hiked on Cathedral Trail, Knife edge and Helon Taylor.

A great hike.  If you're afraid of height, you'll have a hard time at some places.

See the report I did with my gopro cam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW-R5u2BUL0

Hope you'll enjoy it!  :)
Jean
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IMO you can't expect people to take more than 20 minutes to look at a video. Yours froze up on me, looked at a less than 5 minute one on same page with no problem. Just my opinion.

That said Katahdin was "Great Mountain" when I did it 35 years ago. Where did you [or google earth] get "Highest Peak" from? Just curious. There are many different native translations for many things.

Kathdin is harder than many western mountains, pretty amazing place. Sorry I couldn't do the whole video but thank you for sharing.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2014, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Jan. 23 2014, 7:38 pm)
IMO you can't expect people to take more than 20 minutes to look at a video. Yours froze up on me, looked at a less than 5 minute one on same page with no problem. Just my opinion.

That said Katahdin was "Great Mountain" when I did it 35 years ago. Where did you [or google earth] get "Highest Peak" from? Just curious. There are many different native translations for many things.

>  Where did you [or google earth] get "Highest Peak" from?

Got it from Wikipedia I think.

Thanks for giving feedback.  I'm preparing my video about Mout Washington winter climb.  It will help.

Jean
 Post Number: 4
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2014, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I should have said make a shorter version but don't throw away the longer one as many don't think like I do.

I checked Wikipedia and it says to the Penobscott's it was/is "Greatest Mountain." So maybe some Penobscott's have said "Highest Peak" too since what I heard conflicts with Wiki a bit too.

Have you done The Traveler?

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2014, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, never did The Traveler, where is it?

Thanks for the feedback.  Your comments will help make better videos next time.  ;-)

Jean
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2014, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Jan. 24 2014, 12:20 pm)
I checked Wikipedia and it says to the Penobscott's it was/is "Greatest Mountain." So maybe some Penobscott's have said "Highest Peak" too since what I heard conflicts with Wiki a bit too.

I probably did an error while translating to french and then back to english.

Here's where the mistake probably come from.
 Post Number: 7
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2014, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I enjoyed your video. Makes me want to do that hike myself.
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2014, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree that the video was too long to view in its entirety, but I just scanned through.

More importantly... I really enjoyed that! Thanks for sharing!

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2014, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spent a week up there in 1971, one of the most enjoyable backpacking trips my wife and I ever had.  Great fishing, great scenery and a nice climb of the peak in very good weather, June I think.

Does Baxter State Park still have the canoes doled out to various lakes so that when you cross over to the country beyond you will be the only people there??

Very nice to have a chunk of beach and woods all to yourself for exploring and fishing.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 10
jaxon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2014, 3:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The views were all beautiful. You really had great adventure.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
9 replies since Jan. 23 2014, 5:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mt Kathadin
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions