2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: TR:  Zion and Rim to Rim to Rim, Few words, many pics< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 4:27 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Wife and I just got back from Zion and Grand Canyon.  No backpacking, just a couple of dayhikes.  

The first day of the trip we flew into Phoenix from Pittsburgh.  We got a nice free upgrade on our rental car:  convertable!

After a nice dinner and brews at Beaver St.  Brewing in Flagstaff, we set out the next day to Wupakti National Monument. Interesting relics and nice views of the San Francisco peaks.

It was now time to drive past Vermillion Cliffs and up to Zion.

We hiked up the Watchman Trail at sunset with a nice view of the surrounding towers...

The next we set out early for Angels Landing.  We wanted to beat the crowds, and we did.  We even had the summit to ourselves for a few minutes.  Don't let people scare you off, we thought that it didn't live up to the horror stories, although  the views were at least as spectacular as advertized.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Walter's Wiggles:

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Arch in hidden Canyon:

In the Kolob Canyon area:

We drove back to the North Rim and waited until they opened the gate to the road to the park, then hit the trail head and started our Rim to Rim to Rim.

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Our plan was to go down North Kaibab and up Bright Angel the first day.  We would overnight in a cabin on the South Rim, then grab the shuttle to the South Kaibab trailhead and go back to the river and up North Kaibab again.

Little friend:

Crossing Bright Angel Creek:

Another friend:

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ribbon Falls:

The "Box"

Phantom Ranch:

Bridge over the Colorado:

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will assume there is another installment, so reserving my comments until the end.  So far, nice pictures of areas I am well familiar with.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

River:

Heading up Bright Angel:

Looking back, you can see Bright Angel Canyon in the distance:

Starting back down South Kaibab the next day:

Switchbacks:

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Back to the river and The South Kaibab bridge:

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Back in the "Box."  Somewhere around 105 degrees.

The last 14 miles of the hike were very challenging.  Tired legs and high temps on a 14 mile uphill of about 5800 feet.  The last 5 or 6 miles are especially hard, with the altitude increasing as well.   Drinking tons of water, taking salt supplements and eating regularly were the key to finishing for us.

The next day we took in Walnut Canyon on our way back to Phoenix:

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All in all, a great trip.  The second Rim to Rim was one of the most challenging things I've done, including running trail races of marathon length.  We were very happy to be able to experience the canyon and it's wonders while giving ourselves a challenge that we will remember forever.

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 11
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I thought you had taken the more difficult direction, by finishing up on the longer, more elevation gain North side.  Either way, it would have been at the end of the day, but if tackled first, it would have been on day 1.  Day 2 would have been much easier.  

Some really fun pictures there.  Memories of trips past, and all.  In the end, I am glad it was not me.  23 miles a day, in those conditions, is no longer my choice.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 12
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for "taking me back" to Zion.  I hiked all those trails and more when I worked there a few years ago.

Our son is an Assistant Manager at Bright Angel Lodge.  You might have met him in the early morning.  He's worked at Zion and Grand Canyon for Xanterra for a number of years now.  We're going next week to visit.

But, I like Zion better.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 13
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pics.  Thanks.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 14
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fantastic, especially Day-II of the rim-rim-rim. Doing two of these back-back in that heat would have been brutal! I've done the south rim to the river and back as a dayhike, in 105 degree temps and the inner canyon was so hot. Respect.

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15
rpcv Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2014, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pictures! Thank you for sharing.

My husband and I were just out in Zion as well. I'm still working on the pictures, but will post something soon.

--------------
Silver Spring Wanderer
 Post Number: 16
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2014, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice, enjoyed the pics.
 Post Number: 17
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2014, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like a great trip - the kind you wish was twice as long (for more chilling out, not more huge days). Thanks for posting.
 Post Number: 18
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2014, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pictures, looks like you all had an awesome time.

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 19
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2014, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful pictures of astounding places. Looks like a wonderful vacation. Thanks for sharing. Glad the ankle held up. My knees hurt just looking at some of those downhills.
 Post Number: 20
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2014, 7:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for sharing! We stayed at Watchman campground in 2006 and climbed Angels Landing. It was so fun (and scary). I want to get back to that part of the world!

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 21
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 26 2014, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You guys are freaking animals!  Me, I'll take my time when I finally hike the GC :D

Love being up on Angel's Landing before the crowds, though.  We didn't manage to be first, but I think were the 2nd party up last time.  Our boys might have been first, come to think of it.  

Thanks for sharing the great pictures and memories.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 22
robert85 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2014, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice pics and thanks for sharing!

--------------
"There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign" - Robert Louis Stevenson

My good friend? Good travel guide ;)
 Post Number: 23
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2014, 1:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In case anybody is  curious,  the  two little reptile  friends are a Collared Lizard and a Gopher Snake.

-Don- Reno, NV

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 24
mtnsteve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 13 2014, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice pictures!
I've never spent time in the desert, not for my partners lack of trying. I wish I had listened to her.

--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
Helen Keller
23 replies since May 21 2014, 4:27 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply TR:  Zion and Rim to Rim to Rim
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions