2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Anything In Brazil?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
EagleScout92 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2006, 8:05 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been living in Brazil since January and leave in December and still have not found somewhere to Backpack without having to have a guide or be so short to Backpack. Has anyone got any Ideas or experience here in Brazil.

Thanks Mike
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2006, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by EagleScout92:
I have been living in Brazil since January and leave in December and still have not found somewhere to Backpack without having to have a guide or be so short to Backpack. Has anyone got any Ideas or experience here in Brazil.

Thanks Mike
Brasil is HUGE country. Where are you located? I know a few places to adventure around the North coast near Sao Luis. Really, Brasil is not set up for BPing because they haven't developed a trail system like in the US. There are trails, but as you noted, you almost need a guide.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2006, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am living in Porto Feliz...it is betweeen Campinas and Sao Paulo both of which are easy to get to by buss. Dayhikes would be okay also or even just camping..but I miss BPing. Miss texas really! thanks for the info
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2006, 1:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I really don't know much about down south. I have a friend that lives in Cruzeiro do Sul, Acre and another friend in Manaus, Amazonas. There is treking to be done, but mostly on the rivers. And you will need a guide. Sao Luis, Maranhao is on an island and really has no BPing opportunities near. Again, there is plenty of stuff to do in the interior on the rivers, but nothing you are looking for. If I were you, I would just get out into the interior as much as I could and just discover the common folk and their life. Talk to some university people that may be doing some studies on the Amozon River or something like that. Just ask to go along and help. Se if you can find some help from Brasilians online. They love chatting online.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2006, 7:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Rumi,

My wife is Brazilian and I have already traveled most of the south; Curitiba, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Ponto Bronco, to the North Brasilia, Barra Do Garcas and Goiana. I Guess my best option is to go to the North to the Amazons. I wouldnt mind taking a guided tour of that. Becuase I know nothing about the river. Only done back water paddleing. I will check out the university students online. I have my wife to translate. Portugues is a beautiful langauge.

Mike
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2006, 3:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Found some imformation. You may already know about much of this but I will post the links so you can browse at your own leisure. Not much, but it is something.

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/latamer/brazil/top_twenty.htm

http://www.bootsnall.com/insiders/samerica/brasil.shtml

http://www.geographia.com/brazil/brazilexplorations.htm

Best of Luck - Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2006, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many Thanks!!
 Post Number: 8
SpiderWJ Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2011, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd like to give this thread a bump and see if anyone has any advice for an out and back overnight trip around the Rio, Petropolis, Macae area.

My family and I have relocated to Macae, Brazil for work.  I'd like to find a good trip to take with my 5 year old to get him some exposure to the mountains (we living in Houston before so this is a fantastic and radical change for us).
 Post Number: 9
omarvin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2011, 4:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

anyone speaking portuguese ??
 Post Number: 10
orthotomeo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2011, 8:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My biggest recommendation is to check out the lonely planet guides. They will give goo advice. They even have a few south american ones for trekking. Your best bet would probably be to go to some hostels and see if they have a book exchange. A friend picked up a lonely planet guide here in Bolivia that was a big help for him.

--------------
Without a doubt, the hardest thing of all in a survival situation is to cook without the benefit of seasoning and flavourings. - Ray Mears

The Outdoor Adventure
youtube channel
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
10 replies since Sep. 01 2006, 8:05 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Anything In Brazil?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions