2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Torres Del Paine, Gear (Clothing< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Redfox Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2010, 10:17 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello all, I will be hiking the entire circuit this mid January

I need some input on gear list (clothing) for my hike from those of you who have hike it. For my thru-hike of the AT this year in the NH/ME (I am thinking the weather will be similar to my experience here, am I wrong on this?) area during Sept/early Oct. I carried the following - rain jacket, capilene 3 shirt/pant base layer, short/pant (REI) combo, fleece beanie, fleece, capilene 2 shirt base layer. I mainly hiked though in my rain jacket (when it was windy) and my Sports Kilt and expedition gators. I am a light backpacker carrying no more than 35lbs with 4 days food, gear, and 2Liters of water so I am willing to give up some comfort. I know there are plenty of gear lists out there but I would like the input of somebody who has hiked the area. I plan on getting some rain paints probably gloves too.

Thanks for your time and gear lists!

Red
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nilsy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2010, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're thinking of the weather in the Presidentials (when its windy and wet), then yes it's similar - though the surprise wind gusts are more intense in TdP and it could be colder than what you experienced in Sept/early-Oct in NH/ME.

You'll definitely want good rain gear that can double as wind breakers.  The wind can be incredible - approaching a low pass near Lago Paine we hunkered down for a few minutes with some guys who had been knocked over by the wind.  When we got up and led the way we had a partially filled water bottle blown out of the netting on the side of the pack and had to walk hunched over to keep our footing.

Because the wind can be combined with cold (we had snow on Christmas Eve day and the authorities "closed" Gardner Pass to travel that day) you'll also want warm clothing.   Your list is pretty similar to what I had - though I didn't bother with Capalene bottoms.  Gaiters probably aren't necessary, though there is a nasty mud patch just after Los Perros campground.  Hiking poles would be a good idea - stability in the wind and when coming down from Gardner to Grey.

You can buy some food and snack items along the way if you're looking to reduce your pack weight.
 Post Number: 3
Redfox Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2010, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you for the heads up!

I will say one thing, I have had more responses to this question on Lonely Plant (15X) than i have here....hmmm...day hikers....

Happy Trails

Red
GA-ME 2010
 Post Number: 4
nilsy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2010, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think it's that users of this site are not backpackers.  Backpacker Magazine is a US publication, thus the focus on its website is on US hikes.  Lonelyplanet is an international guide used by people throughout the world.  Most of the folks you'll run into in TdP are from places other than the US, and Lonely Planet is one of their sources of info, thus they also provide assistance on the LP website.
 Post Number: 5
backpack45scb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hope your trip went well, but will respond for benefit of others. I would add fleece pants. Also a 4 season tent is a good idea. If you have a 3 season tent, be sure that it can deal with a 60 mph wind. You usually don't need that much water. Hiking poles are important. I have a detailed packlist on our torres del paine page. It is essentially the same as our packlist for the Pacific Crest Trail in Washington.

--------------
Publisher of Patagonia Chronicle: On Foot in Torres del Paine, Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago, and We're in the Mountains, Not Over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did the Paine Circuit a couple of years ago. Tips:
(1) When you show up if the Paine Towers are clear hike up to them the first day. You may be too tired or they may be clouded in when you finish the circuit.
(2) Allow a full day for the French Valley.
(3) If I had to do it again, and if time was a factor I would just do the "W".
(4) Hit the seafood restaurants in Puerto Natales. Wonderful, and inexpensive
(5) Take the time to include the Fitz Roy area in Argentina. It's special.
Enjoy

Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 7
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did the Paine Circuit a couple of years ago. Tips:
(1) When you show up if the Paine Towers are clear hike up to them the first day. You may be too tired or they may be clouded in when you finish the circuit.
(2) Allow a full day for the French Valley.
(3) If I had to do it again, and if time was a factor I would just do the "W".
(4) Hit the seafood restaurants in Puerto Natales. Wonderful, and inexpensive
(5) Take the time to include the Fitz Roy area in Argentina. It's special.
Enjoy

Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
6 replies since Nov. 04 2010, 10:17 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Torres Del Paine
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions