2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ireland, any backpacking/trekking?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Saabiar Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 13 2011, 3:19 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone have any experience with hiking in Ireland, I would like to find a three day backpacking trip but from my research so far it seems like just a lot of day hiking.

Thanks,
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Grainne Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2011, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are some great long distance walking routes in Ireland  - the Kerry Way, Dingle Way, Wicklow Way, Western Way etc. We organise hiking trips on the Kerry Way (125 miles) and Dingle Way arranging accommodation, notes and luggage transfer if you wish.  If you wish to hike for three or four days you can contact www.govisitireland.com for details.
 Post Number: 3
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2011, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Grainne,

I think, if this guy is an American, he would want an actual backcountry experience. Meaning no luggage transfer, no accomodations, etc. Saabiar, it is possible to stealth camp basically anywhere in the world.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2011, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I only dayhiked during my honeymoon in Ireland. There's not a lot of wilderness, but you might have some success in the Macgillycuddy's Reeks.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5
SnowTiger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2011, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Random thoughts. You can google the names if you need better directions, etc. To organize these would take an hour, so here ya go:

Donegal has some very wild areas, Bloody Foreland, Horn Head. The Blue Stack mountains north of Donegal town are lovely. The Rosses north of Portnoo is/are very pretty.

There's a little known place called the "Gleniff Horseshoe," north on the road 10 miles from Sligo town  (northeast of Ben Bulben as the crow flies). Although the hike won't take more than a day, it was my son's favorite scenic spot when we went in Nov '09. The mountain Truskmore is worth seeing, even if you just drive in and out.

Glenbeigh Park is gorgeous.

The Twelve Bens (mountains) in Connemara is/are beautiful also

there are well known hikes in the Mountains of Mourne ("silent valley"?)

and in Ulster you can hike Antrim from vale to vale over the high mountain ridges rather than transiting down by the coast. some nice waterfalls, cliffs and castles, too.

Pat Falvey, famous antrctic explorer and mountain climber, runs a lodge and guide operation near Killarney, they'd have some info on nearby hikes. those are the Macgillicudy Reeks (reeks means mountains). (so does 'ben', apparently). The route from Kenmare up to Molls Gap is very pretty, leading into the ladies view and down to the eagles nest and torc falls

The backside of Slieve League (tallest sea cliffs in europe) is gorgeous, i'd consider a hike from Slieve League to Glencoulmbcille then over the Glen Gesh pass. you can go along the shore past the Golden Strand beach...this area is absolutely amazing. My friend lives in Finntown (north of Ardara)...and every time we drive to her place my jaw is on the floor at the mountain beauty. You won't see more impressive seaside plunges anywhere. One Man's Pass is legendary

South of Dublin there is a path leading through the Wicklow Mountains and Sally Gap, past the Glenmacness falls down to Glendalough. that'd be worth the time imho.

There's also a path along the shore by the Cliffs of Mohr...starting a dozen miles south of the designated cliffs. You could continue past the cliffs and Doolin, on to the Burren, one of my favorite spots in ireland.

The more i think about it, it's hard to stitch together THREE days backcountry....most of these would be done in 2 days and nights. The whole country is the size of west virginia.

You could spend three days doing the Dingle Penninsula, esp if you spend anytime at the prehistoric structures dotted all over the penninsula...beehive huts at fahan, dunbeg fort, the gallarus oratory. Connor Pass is amazing, i remember the couple of times i drove it (whiteknuckled when coming from the north side) and looking at the trail high on the hillside and being quite impressed.

The Beara penninsula is supposed to be a beautiful place to hike, but after seven trips I still have yet to make it there.

P.S. Looks like we might be going in November, at least transiting through Dublin on way to Paris.

--------------
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?- John Maynard Keynes
 Post Number: 6
SnowTiger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2011, 11:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

sorry to throw an ocean when you asked for a drink, but hope it helps.

i see others suggested kerry and dingle and wicklow. the kerry way is 125 miles, but you will pass near or through a dozen assorted hamlets, in case that invalidates the "backcountry" requirement...just fyi

--------------
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?- John Maynard Keynes
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2011, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Snow Tiger,

That is extremely helpfull, thanks for taking the time.

a couple of questions.

-- Is it possibly travel around the country usung public transporation (ie. trains) or is it advisible to rent a car?

--what,  in your view, is the best time to visit?

I am not married to the idea of doing a backcountry trip.  I usually like to do some hiking for about a third of an international trip and spend the rest of the time touring, eating/drinking and doing cultural things.  ...so if it is  day hikes that is perfectly fine with me.  I would, however, like to check out some wilderness-parks, provided it is a unique experience.

thanks again.
S
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2011, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sure Snow Tiger can give more detailed info, but I'll give some generalities that I know:

When I was in Ireland, the public transportation workers were on strike. But I hear that it's ususally pretty good. Far better than in the States, for sure. On our honeymoon, we rented a car and drove from place to place. If we saw something on the map or along the road, we'd stop to see. It gave us a lot of flexibility.

Ireland has a relatively stable climate. Locals couldn't believe the changes in seasons in Upstate NY. It rarely snows there (except the western mountains). There are actually palm trees in Ireland. Being further north than one might expect, summer days are very long, and winter days are very short.

I'm not normally into "culture", but going from town to town in Ireland was great. We stayed out of the major cities... the small towns/villages are what interested us. Touring (either driving yourself or using public transportation) would allow you to see more Irish sites... castles, prehistoric structures, etc. And the pubs... my god, the pubs! The atmosphere of the entire country was amazing.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2011, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have some experience there back in the early 90's. The Dingle Way, Kerry Way, etc. are all marketing schemes to get tourists to backpack there. Generally speaking hillwalking or day hiking is the norm. My experience in understanding the island was to hike as many of the 213 peaks over 2,000' as I could in the year I lived and worked there.  It was a nice way to see all parts of the island.

My suggestion is that you procure a copy of The Mountains of Ireland by Paddy Dillion and published by Cicerine Press. I would carefully study the guide and select an area for a base. Secure a multi-day B&B and day hike from there. That way you enjoy the hike and the local ambiance. I would stay away from Killarney as that is a tourist town. Also I'd rent a car.

Not quite sure how much time you have. Perhaps you could let me know.

My favorite hike: Slievemore and Croaghaun: Two fine summits high above the Atlantic on Achill Island. The hike starts on a beach and gains over 2,00 vertical feet.

Possible authentic backpack: The five Summits of the Nephin Beg Range.

Best advice: Avoid the 17 countries in 5 days syndrome.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2011, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(overthehillwalker @ Jul. 16 2011, 9:23 am)
Best advice: Avoid the 17 countries in 5 days syndrome.

Besides possibly spending some time In London at the end of the trip, it will be all in Ireland.

I would think about a week of hiking, touring etc.  What area would you suggest as a base?
 Post Number: 11
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2011, 3:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would recommend Westport. It has a beautiful bay filled with a hundred islands and recommend a first hike of Croagh Patrick (2,510') A stony slog up a pilgrim path. St. Patrick allegedly spent 40 days and 40 nights on the summit. It has excellent views and will familiarize you with the area. There will be other hikers and you can get some good ideas.

You are an easy drive to Achill Island and there are a multitude of nice peaks nearby, including the Twelve Bens in Connemara, the Maum Turks, Mweelrea, Ben Bury and Ben Lugmore make a fine day hike. You are also in the proximity of Clifden which is well worth a visit.

That's my pick. I can provide more specific details if you need them.
 Post Number: 12
Jester Search for posts by this member.
Beamish Boy

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2011, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just want to chime in here and second the Blue Stacks in Donegal.  Beautiful, and more remote and wild than the routes taken by most of The Ways.

--------------
Drab as a fool, as aloof as a bard.
TBW Productions
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
11 replies since Jun. 13 2011, 3:19 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ireland
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions