2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: West Coast Trail, trip report< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dnoll Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2011, 11:46 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

West Coast Trail Trip Report

From August 4 to August 10 my wife and I hiked the WCT. Mary had done the trail in 2000 with my sister Barb, and had always wanted to go back. I had always wanted to take the Amtrak to the West Coast, so we decided to combine the two and started our
planning last September. Fast forward to 6:15 PM July 31. The phone rang and we were
notified by Amtrak that our train would be late, but they had no idea how late. We were scheduled to leave at 8:52 PM but climbed into our bunks at 3:20 AM. The ride to Seattle, food and company were great, however we arrived 12 hours late. We sent the “A” team in to talk to the ticket agent. Mary came back with a free hotel in Seattle, taxi vouchers and a ride on the Victoria Clipper the next morning.  We spent the afternoon of the 3rd wandering around downtown Victoria and the next morning at 5:45 AM boarded the West Coast Express Bus for a 2 hour ride to Port Renfrew and the start of our adventure. After a mandatory orientation we hit the trail to our first campsite at Thrasher Cove 6 Km north. We started with a group of about 12 people, two of whom were doing their first ever backpacking trip. Because of that we moved slowly, but if anyone would have told me it would take about 6 hours I would have laughed. We got to the beach, set up our tent and after dinner everyone gathered around campfires. Normally I like smaller groups, however getting together with the same group night after night became one of the charms of the trip.  
Our next campsite, Camper Bay was 8Ks to the north.
5 Ks were on the beach, but it wasn’t always easy going. After a good nights sleep we were ready for the next 8 Ks to the Walbran Creek campsite. It was to be our real introduction to the infamous WCT ladders. They were not as bad as advertised. The mud and roots were much worse. After more socializing around the campfire, and a good night’s sleep, we were ready (after some more vitamin I) for the 12 K to the Cribs. The highlight of the day would be lunch at Chez Monique’s and her famous burgers. The beach walk was long, but the anticipation of a burger was even greater. I got really lucky because my wife could only eat half of hers. Life is good.  
The next day we had to do 17 Ks to reach our campsite at Tsusiat Falls. The highlight of the day would be lunch consisting of Dungeness crab and Salmon with a baked potato at the Nitinat Narrows. When we started the trip my pack was at 23 ½ lbs. with food and water and Mary’s was about 21½ lbs. Over 7 days we only saw 4 people whose pack sizes approached ours. Most were probably over 40 lbs. and that makes the mud, roots and ladders way more difficult. One young man thought his pack weighed 80 lbs.  
The heavy packs also made the slippery ocean shelf even more difficult and are probably the main reason there have been 57 evacuations to date this year.  Enough ranting for now. We had another great FBC dinner and the next morning headed out to our last campsite, Michigan, 13 Ks north. It was a combination of beach, woods, mud and ladders. Typical of the first 5 days, yet bittersweet since it would be the last night together with our new friends. That evening, a group of 6-8 whales fed in the cove for about 4 hours. Simply spectacular. The next morning as I was getting out of the tent at 5:30 our neighbor Brian said “David, bear on the shelf.” We watched the bear for the next 10 minutes as it wandered along the ocean and into the woods. We left camp at 7:05 and 12 Ks later reached the trailhead at 10:45. We felt happy to have finished, yet still sad that the trip was over. I know a lot of people do the trip in much less time; however, I would recommend 7 days to really enjoy the trail. Even though it is very crowded it should be on everyone’s bucket list. The trail, people and scenery make it an incredible trip. Two more days in Victoria and the train ride home made a nice finish to one of our more memorable trips. By the way, with everyone’s help, the two 1st time backpackers, Donna and Tracy, made it to the end. Here is a link to our pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/d1948n/sets/72157627326529805/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2011, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like an excellent trip.  We just got back from Vancouver Island on Aug 6, and I picked up a trail map while I was in the vicinity.  I also drove through Port Renfrew, just to see what is was like.  Maybe someday...............  The logistics for this trip look like a pain in the rump.  Nice pics also.
 Post Number: 3
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2011, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice trip.

I used to live in Seattle and once thought I too would do the WCT with a couple of friends. We drove up to Nanaimo, ferried across and started on the trip to the trail head. Alas, when we got there the road was closed for use by logging trucks only! We must not have been very determined 'cuz that made us turn back. I had really wanted to see Tsusiat Falls, but it didn't happen.

You mentioned ship wrecks; did the tour book explain that this was initially called the Life Saving Trail? It was put in because so many ships went on the rocks entering the straits that sailors would make it to shore only to be faced with impenetrable dense forest, meaning that many survived the ocean only to die on the land! Bummer. The trail was built to give'em a chance to hike to Victoria so they could have tea at the Fairmont Empress Hotel!

I hope you had a bit of an opportunity in Vancouver to see something of the PNW Indian culture (museums? food? dance presentations maybe?) When I was at the UofW and studied the art of the Coast tribes, I was forever hooked.

Nice collection of photos. Oh, and the mystery berries (not the huckleberries) are the fruits of a species of Soloman Seal, Smilacina, maybe stellata?)

--------------
 Post Number: 4
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2011, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice.  Thanks for writing that up!  I love the scenery, and the idea of doing the trail, but have to admit that the photos of the mass campgrounds puts me off a bit.  I used to hike hunks of the Olympic coast on my spring breaks, and enjoyed the fact that there was seldom anyone out there (don't know if that's still true--I was there in the '80s).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
dnoll Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2011, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bumknees,
The logistics are a pain and so is  the expense but the trail is worth.

Rebecca,
The campsites were all crowded but we met people from a lot of different countries and we usually shared a campfire with a group whom we really got to know well. It became one of the charms of the trail.

Bp2go
Thanks for the help with the berries. Unfortunately we just passed through Vancouver.
 Post Number: 6
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2011, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

dnoll, I suppose it's a bit like the huts in New Zealand, which we enjoyed (even though even then we ancient compared to most of the inhabitants).  But somehow the WCT seems like it ought to be more of a wilderness experience.  I don't know--I won't write it off, by any means!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
5 replies since Aug. 19 2011, 11:46 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply West Coast Trail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions