2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Reputable International Backpacking Guides?, in Europe or South America< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
stellina615 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2011, 1:13 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My husband and I are looking to do some backpacking on our next vacation (we have yet to decide whether we're headed to Europe or South America).  Since it will be the first time that we've backpacked through either destination, we'd like to do a guided trip.  We're hoping to be able to afford either a trip with a small group, or a private guided trip for just the two of us.  Can anyone offer any suggestions for reputable guide services in either area?  Thanks in advance!

Best,
Erin
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nilsy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2011, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those are mighty large "areas."  If you narrow it down you might get more help. I suspect that other than some of the areas in Peru or Bolivia you won't find many people with experience using guides for backpacking.
 Post Number: 3
stellina615 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2011, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're thinking of the Machu Picchu area for South America, but I guess I purposely left Europe pretty wide open simply because we're not too sure what's available in terms of guided trips.  From the online research I've attempted to do, it certainly seems like different parts of the world have different concepts of what backpacking means.  We want to carry tents on our backs - no huts or hostels - and hopefully head somewhere relatively remote.  Again, any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks!
 Post Number: 4
nilsy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2011, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you don't get many responses here, you might want to post on Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum, posting on the forums for the specific countries where you're interested in finding info on guides.  

If you don't mind being part of a larger group you might check places like REI, the Sierra Club, etc., to see what trips they might run to Europe or South America.  Never done a guided trip, but I've done trips that are almost identical to some I see advertised by these kinds of places and I'm always amazed at how much cheaper it is to do it on your own.  In the Northeast the AMC runs trips as well - typically they're not as expensive as these other groups.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2011, 1:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mountain Travel Sobek has been at the adventure travel business for a very long time. I've friends who've gone some way back of beyond places with them and had nothing but praise. They may be more elaborate in their service level than what you have in mind but they're certainly a standard for comparing others.

http://www.mtsobek.com/
 Post Number: 6
JohanBergman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2011, 6:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi,
in Europe everything is expensive, and you will probably not get to the remote parts when in groups. Getting a private guide will cost a lot.
Have you considered Sweden? If yes I can help you a lot.

Johan
5 replies since Sep. 07 2011, 1:13 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Reputable International Backpacking Guides?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions