2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Camino de Santiago, European Masses on Foot< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
skywalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2012, 5:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Camino de Santiago is far and away Europe's most popular footpath. In medieval times 500,000 indigent, illiterate pilgrims risked their lives traipsing to Santiago de Compostela in northwestern Spain. In the past twenty years, the Camino has made a dramatic comeback. French, German, Italian, and Spanish pilgrims predominate. Americans have just discovered the Camino and the numbers of Yanks is doubling every year.

Life on the Camino, while not easy, is nowhere near as difficult as the Appalachian Trail. Pilgrims typically walk about 15 miles per day and carry much less weight. In the evening in pueblos they eat three-course meals for about 10 Euros, and stay in pilgrim albergues for 5-7 Euros.

Most pilgrims find the most compelling aspect of the Camino to be how easy it is to meet foreigners in authentic ways, compared to a conventional trip. Many remark that the Camino is the perfect balance of struggle, camaraderie, food, wine, and culture. It is the best way I've ever found to travel.

www.thebestwaycamino.com

Bill Walker is the author of 'The Best Way--El Camino de Santiago' (2012). He is also the author of Skywalker--Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail (2008) and Skywalker--Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail (2010). Walker, who is 7-feet tall, is currently working on a whimsical book on the subject of height.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2012, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have done numerous long distance treks across the globe in the past few years including the Annapurna Circuit, the Torres del Paine circuit and the Kepler and Caples in N.Z. All things considered the Camino was one of the best long distance walking experienced I've had. Lots of red wine, olives and cheese and more importantly the opportunity to meet other walkers from acorss the globe. I can't say enough good things about the experience.
Rics in Wyoming.

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2012, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anna Purna? I'm going in the fall. Quick ? What type shoes did you wear? Boots, low-cut trail-running shoes, mid-cuts? Is the snow likely to be a problem in October?

Thanks,

Skywalker
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2012, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Low cuts should be fine. I don't know about snow in October. I went in early April and we only experienced snow over Throung La Pass (18,000 ft), but it was packed solid from previous hikers.  I would assume October is like October in the Rockies. There could be a storm. Don't worry. there's wil be other trekkers to follow and get advice. If you want more info let me know.
Rics in wyoming.

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2012, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting. El Camino de Santiago is a wildly popular destination for Europeans. It has now become so popular that we Americans are showing up. But the popular Anna Purna Circuit, another fabulous trek in the Himalayas frequented by Europeans and Asians, is for the most part still to be discovered by Americans.

Why? Perhaps it's because we have those two great national scenic trails--the Appalachian Trail and Pacific Cest Trail--right here in our own country. That's a pretty good excuse!

My Webpage
 Post Number: 6
LiteMan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2012, 2:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did El Camino en Espana a few years ago (walked about 500 miles in about 30 days).  Really enjoyed it, and would have enjoyed it even more if it wasn't for a persistent jock itch infection that i had, which around that time mutated into super form which i could suppress pretty well, but not completely get rid of.  There was one small stretch where i had to take a bus to rest for a couple of days because of the infection.  This is what initially got me into researching fabrics like linen and hemp to avoid this in the future.  

The best part was the fellow travelers and the largely positive communal spirit.  Made a lot of friends from all over the world then.  Ended up visiting some in their homelands too, later.  

Highly recommend it, especially if you don't have a chronic case of jock itch infection.
 Post Number: 7
indianasam Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2012, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Has anyone done the camino in April? I would be interested in weather and the conditions at that time of year.
 Post Number: 8
backpack45scb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

April can be gorgeous with spring flowers, but also rain, mud possibility of snow. Go but be prepared. For a highly knowledgeable and active forum on the camino, go to Ivar's camino forum There is also an active Facebook group American Pilgrims Facebook Group

--------------
Publisher of Patagonia Chronicle: On Foot in Torres del Paine, Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago, and We're in the Mountains, Not Over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did the Camino in April and it was great. Mostly warm days except in Galicia, which is to be expected. You can read about my trip (Or check out Skywalker's) in
my Trekkerman.
Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
8 replies since Apr. 30 2012, 5:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Camino de Santiago
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions