2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Pennine Way, England, Winter through hike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
NorthernMan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2012, 7:53 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Has anyone done the 268 mile Pennine Way Hike in the UK in winter conditions?

If so I'd be interested in your experience of the practicalities of it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Geo. Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2012, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(NorthernMan @ Oct. 14 2012, 7:53 am)
Has anyone done the 268 mile Pennine Way Hike in the UK in winter conditions?

If so I'd be interested in your experience of the practicalities of it.

Haven't done it in the winter months, but have done it as part of a UK 'end to end' through hike. If you have appropriate gear and fitness I'd say it's quite 'do-able'. The highest elevation is just over 2000ft with much of it below 1000ft. Brit weather can be fickle even in summer months, especially at the higher elevations. Expect (and prepare for with clothing, tent etc) some snow, rain, cold winds. Probably a good idea if you Google 'Pennine Way in winter' you'll get several hits from folk who've done it.
I used the 'Cicerone guide ' book "The Pennine Way' by Martin Collins for that section of my hike and found it good. Contains strip topo maps etc.
A GPS (as well as compass) probably wouldn't go amiss in keeping you on track.
Cheers,
George

--------------
Dances With Marmots  
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 8:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I did the Coast to Coast Walk last April. Three comments:
(1) The B&B's were expensive and most were nothing special. Our room was usually so cluttered with Victorian crap there was little room for us to spread out  the stuff inour backpacks.
(2) It rained, and rained, and rained......
(3) We had a great time.

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rics @ Oct. 26 2012, 8:01 am)
My wife and I did the Coast to Coast Walk last April. Three comments:
(1) The B&B's were expensive and most were nothing special. Our room was usually so cluttered with Victorian crap there was little room for us to spread out  the stuff inour backpacks.
(2) It rained, and rained, and rained......
(3) We had a great time.

Agreed. Found B&B's had got expensive when last over there.  I think the tightening of legislation governing B&B requirements has something to do with it. I used a couple of B&B's...variable quality.
Tent and/or Youth Hostel Assoc accomodation (if you can keep your hands off a snorer's throat) are the way to go for both the PW and C2C if you're on a budget and don't mind sourcing your own breakfast. Some of the YHA's put on breakfast and  evening meals.

--------------
Dances With Marmots  
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There was one accomodation that wa outstanding. It's the Keld Bunkhouse. I believe the tiny hamlet of Kelad is at tshe  junction of the Pennine and C2C. I would recommend staying thre at least one night. The place was very clean. Had a variety of sleeping options from small dorm to a private room. Was very clean and had a community kitchen. Keld itself was about the most isolated place we stayed along the C2C. Sublime scenery, there  was ever a waterfalls out the door of the Keld Bunkhouse and a nice pub just a short walk away.

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rics @ Oct. 29 2012, 4:07 pm)
There was one accomodation that wa outstanding. It's the Keld Bunkhouse. I believe the tiny hamlet of Kelad is at tshe  junction of the Pennine and C2C. I would recommend staying thre at least one night. The place was very clean. Had a variety of sleeping options from small dorm to a private room. Was very clean and had a community kitchen. Keld itself was about the most isolated place we stayed along the C2C. Sublime scenery, there  was ever a waterfalls out the door of the Keld Bunkhouse and a nice pub just a short walk away.

Yep, Keld is just a gnat's whisker off the Pennine Way. I passed Keld when on the PW section of my thru-hike (kept heading north to reach Tan Hill for the night - Tan Hill boasts an isolated old pub, apparently the highest in Britain)
Did stay at Keld though when doing the Coast to Coast. Didn't stay at the bunkhouse, but pitched my tent in a campground there. They had a small shop. The campground was ok apart from someone's mutt who took a dislike to my tent and stood outside it barking for long enough until I stuck my head out and read it the riot act.  :;):  Had a decent meal and a beer at the Keld Lodge that night which was not far from the campground.
If on the Pennine Way, depending on the time of day, when you reach the Keld junction it could be worth the slight detour to end the day. Otherwise, it's probably better to carry on to the Tan Hill pub. You can get a room and a meal there if wanted and there are also plenty of places you could whack your tent up in that area. Though it can be a bit bleak and windswept at times.

--------------
Dances With Marmots  
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, We detoured and had a pint at the Tan Hill Pub on our C2C Trek. It's the highest altitude pub in all of G. B.!

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
6 replies since Oct. 14 2012, 7:53 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Pennine Way, England
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions