2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hiking and Backpacking in Iran< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
shahram Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 9:17 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi, My name is Shahram. I am hiking for 3 years. We have a forum with reports and pictures of our trips but it is in Persian. So I decided to introduce you to selected places of Iran by pictures taken through our trips. Please come with me. It may change your view about Iran.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 9:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of the famous hiking paths is  "Khalkhal" to "Asalem".
It starts in "Andebil" village near "Khalkhal" with mountains stretched all around. After 3 days of hiking it ends near "Asalem" jungles.

Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Khalkhal" to "Asalem"  Pt. 2:

http://www.anobanini.ir/pic....024.jpg

Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Khalkhal" to "Asalem"  Pt. 3:

Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Mesr" desert

"Mohammad abad" village- "Takhte aroos" sand dunes.
These are one of the remotest places in central desert of Iran.

Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Mesr"desert pt. 2:

Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Mesr" Desert Pt. 3:

Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 26 2013, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hiking in central "Zagros" part 1:

3 days of hiking in one of the toughest places for hiking in Iran, where we used to pass the giant "bazoft" river by wires. It was a real challenge.
Nomads use these passage every spring and autumn.
there is not any bridge over "bazoft" in this passage except one natural bridge called "khodafarin" ( it means made by god), you should pass over man made stairs on  vertical cliffs before this bridge.
these are some selected pictures taken by my friend "Mehdi Gholami". ("zardolime" water fall (~170 meters width , 50 meters height), nomads  passages and ancient "dezpart" stairs. ,"bazoft" river)

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 26 2013, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hiking in central "Zagros" part 2:

Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 26 2013, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hiking in central "Zagros" part 3:

(Nomads tent or Home as they call it !)

Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: May 26 2013, 2:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hiking in central "Zagros" part 4 (final):

Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For more information and pictures please visit:
Anobanini
 Post Number: 13
frmertd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few years ago, there were 3 American hikers in iraq. They got near the Iranian border and were arrested by the Iranian secret police. They were accused of being spies from the "evil zionist state of israel" held for almost a year. They were threatened with death for their "crimes". So, no, i will not be going to Iran to go hiking ,thank you.
Mixing government with religion was tried many times in the past, it does not work.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 8:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(frmertd @ Sep. 18 2013, 9:55 am)
A few years ago, there were 3 American hikers in iraq. They got near the Iranian border and were arrested by the Iranian secret police. They were accused of being spies from the "evil zionist state of israel" held for almost a year. They were threatened with death for their "crimes". So, no, i will not be going to Iran to go hiking ,thank you.
Mixing government with religion was tried many times in the past, it does not work.

Hi,
Thanks for visiting this page.
Mixing government with religion doesn't work and it makes situations difficult to handle, just like the case of those 3 hikers in Iraq and Iran border.
I hope that tragedy never happen again.

Due to political issues, Middle east is not in first priority for travelers and maybe Iran is the last choose, but we are really trying to change the situation by giving information and introducing many beautiful and extraordinary features of this country.
I know this is very difficult when politicians are struggling each other, but every problem has a solution. you can check with a local guide before traveling. I never recommend such hiking in Iraq borders, it is death sentence even for Iranian hikers.

please check these pages for some experiences described by travelers (sorry our forum is under construction and it has many errors, we will change it in the near future):

Travel Writings

It has many difficulties, police is sensitive, many places are not well prepared for foreigners, women should have "hijab", .... but it is a new experience in a different environment and I am sure your own experience will change your mind about Iran.

Best wishes.
 Post Number: 15
CarFree Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 11:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those are some spectacular photos in there.  I live in Arizona and love hiking in desert conditions.

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 5:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CarFree @ Sep. 20 2013, 11:37 pm)
Those are some spectacular photos in there.  I live in Arizona and love hiking in desert conditions.

you can hike for days and days in central desert of Iran. First human crossed "Rige Jenn" desert just 10 years ago.
As I know Arizona has one of the toughest desserts to hike.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 8:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here are some desert photos from my photopage:

https://picasaweb.google.com/backpac....rizona#

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CarFree @ Sep. 21 2013, 8:16 am)
Here are some desert photos from my photopage:

https://picasaweb.google.com/backpac....rizona#

Thank you for sharing pictures. is it Sonoran Desert ?
we have diiferent plant species in central and Lut desert. (Haloxylon,Alhagi,Calligonum,Tamarix, ...)

most of central part are covered by nothing ! just sand dunes.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 12:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those pictures were taken in the Superstition Wilderness, which is just east of Phoenix

--------------

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 20
Linedawg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 9:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The picture of the person buried in the sand, with a cross at their head and a knife stuck in the sand beside them. Is that good ole Iranian humor, or what passes for a scenic photo in that part of the world?
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 6:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Linedawg @ Sep. 29 2013, 9:10 am)
The picture of the person buried in the sand, with a cross at their head and a knife stuck in the sand beside them. Is that good ole Iranian humor, or what passes for a scenic photo in that part of the world?

cross is worldwide symbol for death.
also Muslims (non radicals) respect all previous prophets and this is not violation of  rules. ;)
 Post Number: 22
Linedawg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(shahram @ Sep. 30 2013, 6:34 am)

also Muslims (non radicals) respect all previous prophets and this is not violation of  rules. ;)

Wrong! International symbol for SALVATION. Still think the pic is in very poor taste no matter what your rules say.
 Post Number: 23
tomday Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

great shoot
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Linedawg @ Sep. 30 2013, 7:12 pm)

(shahram @ Sep. 30 2013, 6:34 am)

Wrong! International symbol for SALVATION. Still think the pic is in very poor taste no matter what your rules say.

You are right.
I am not a religious person but I respect all religions. So let me know please, if that picture is disrespect I could remove it or maybe the administrator or moderator of page could do it.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 11:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You mentioned in an earlier post about the political tension between Washington and Tehran.

The problem is that the news media here is very one sided.   The media portrays Iran in a negative light and regularly brings back memories of the 1979-80 hostage crisis but rarely, if ever, do they make any mention of the evil the US committed against Iran by supporting and arming the brtual Shah and his SAVAK secret police for 25 years.

That subject is rarely, if ever, mentioned by the media here or in the history textbooks.

I am vehemently opposed to US military action in the mid east and have always held that the US has committed much more evil to the people of Iran than anything they have done to us.

They took hostages for a year and a half but the US overthrew the Iranian government in 1953 and supported and armed a dictator who tortured and killed tens of thousands for 25 years.

But they don't dare talk about that in the US news media.  

The media paints the other side as 'the bad guy' while carefully concealing the evils the US has committed.

The political tension between Washington and Tehran goes all the way back to 1953 and it was the US that started it.

I appreciate you starting this thread and assure you that not all believe the media hype trying to portray the Iranian people in a negative light.

--------------

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 26
Migolito Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just happened upon this post. Without going into politics or religion I'll say this. To bridge the chasm, one must first reach out. And I applaud Shahram for reaching out.

Now, someone has some incredible photographic skills!! Some of those photos remind me of places I've been in the USA, as do the people in them. A work friend of mine (before I retired) was from Iran and would tell me about the mountains and forests he used to hike and camp in. I may sound a little naive, but, until then I hadn't realized Iran had forests. Would love to go to Iran, someday.
25 replies since Apr. 17 2013, 9:17 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hiking and Backpacking in Iran
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions