2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hikes near Calgary< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tomas Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 7:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I was invited to go to Calgary for a weekend in September as a business trip companion. Plan is for us to fly out on a thursday and me fly home that sunday night.

Anybody have suggestions for dayhikes nearby or a nice overnight?

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
canadianrockiesgirl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Calgary is about an hour from Banff NP and another hour to some really good hikes.  Will you have a car to get to the trailheads as there really is no bus service to the park trails from the city.  What kind of hikes are looking for in terms of difficulty etc?
 Post Number: 3
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will have access to a car.

I'm coming from sea level, so anything at altitude will take me lots more time to complete. I'm looking for a nice overnight where I can enjoy western Canada. A river, pond, or lake would be nice so that I can have plenty of water.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some of the best one night trips I can think of are unfortunately at least right now inaccessible due to a historic flood we had a month ago that has wiped out many trails and roads to many of the trailheads.  Assuming things change I would recommend looking into Kananaskis Country and some good overnight trips there are Ribbon Lake, Lillian Lake, or Tombstone Lakes.  Tombstone probably has the highest likelihood of being opened by Sept, the other 2 very hard to say right now as reports are the trails are simply just gone.  You could hike to the Point on Upper Kananaskis Lake as it is open but its pretty short for an overnight trip.  That being said maybe look into Banff NP.  Glacier Lake is a good one night option or I think do a trip to Mosquito Creek, set up camp and hike one of the Molar Passes as a day hike.  You do require a permit for any of these hikes that you can obtain from either the K-Country park office or the Banff NP park office.
 Post Number: 5
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Had a conference in Calgary last summer and then car camped Friday night and backpacked Saturday thru mid day Sunday  to a campsite along the north shore of Lake Minnewanka - about a 5 mile hike in.

It was fantastic.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lake Minnewanka is a good choice too however usually by Sept it is closed due to grizzly activity.  Its under a seasonal restriction now - no bikes and all hikers must be in groups of 4 or more as its a prime grizzly feeding area.
5 replies since Jul. 20 2013, 7:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hikes near Calgary
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions