2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mt. Assiniboine Day Hikes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
larrys Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 10:05 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am trying to plan my group's 2014 backpacking trip and this year I would like to take our group to Canada.  We are experienced backpackers and generally like doing 5-7 day trips.  I had looked at some hikes around Jasper to Berg Lake/Mt. Robson area, the Wall and Assiniboine.

It looks like the Assiniboine area might work for us, but we need to find some day hikes once we get there.  We would probably hike in and consider taking the helicopter out so I would love to get some ideas on day hikes in the area to keep us busy for a few days.

Probably looking at late August or early September timeframe.  I will also try to snag a spot at Lake O'Hara for a couple of us after our main trip is over.

Thanks for any help.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 11:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mt. Assinwhat?  Sorry, I had a sophomore moment.
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 12:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

larrys, you can probably do some dayhikes around there, depending on mileage you are willing to cover in a day.  But check trail conditions and openings before you commit.  The floods last June took out a bunch of trails and roads.  When we were there in July, you couldn't get to Mt. Assiniboine, by any route.  

The Rockwall was gorgeous.  We did that, and took 5 nights to do it--which earned us the envy of many doing it in 4 or even 3 nights.

Berg Lake/Mt. Robson is heavily used (and regulated) but worth it.  Just think of the camps as youth hostels, with a lot of interesting people from all over to chat with.  if you do that trip, plan a layover day and hike to Snowbird Pass.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
canadianrockiesgirl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are several day hikes you can do from that area.   If you can get a copy of a book called Don't Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies by the Copelands it will tell you everything you need to know about the trails at 'Boine, as well as Lake O'Hara, Jasper, Banff and a few other areas
 Post Number: 5
canadianrockiesgirl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And you need to make bus reservations for Lake O'Hara as it has tightly controlled access.  You can hike the 11 km up the road but that will take up time better spent in the Lake O'Hara area.  

Here's the park's website:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/yoho/natcul/ohara/a.aspx
 Post Number: 6
larrys Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks to all for your help.
 Post Number: 7
pudgy_groundhog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Love Assiniboine - it is our favorite spot in the Canadian Rockies (so far).

I hate to admit this (especially on a backpacking board), but we took the helicopter in and out.  At the time our daughter was under two and we camped five nights; we didn't think the trip would be possible otherwise.

Anyway, we found enough to keep us busy for that time.  As a family we hiked up Nub Peak, Wonder Pass, and Windy Ridge (and the small unnamed peak there).  My husband additionally did Sunburst Peak, Wonder Peak, and Cautley Peak.  

Our pics and trip notes are here:  http://www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/assiniboine
We've also done the Rockwall, Tonquin Valley, Berg Lake, camped at Lake O'Hara, and various dayhikes.  We also started the Brazeau Loop, but bailed after a snowstorm.  All were great.  Can't go wrong!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
6 replies since Nov. 15 2013, 10:05 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mt. Assiniboine Day Hikes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions