2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: nepal, nepal trekking< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wildmann Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 5:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hi! was wondering if anyone has insight of trekking in around nepal? i do not know where to start with planning my trip! looking to just do some hiking around the base of himalayas/everest. best fun,best scenery trips,best trails/paths,etc... just to experience the nepal environment! any insight for who to talk with?BEST---(travel agents)(backpacking agents?) websites,companies,etc..! thanks so much!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wildman: I did the Annapurna Circuit a few years ago so....
(1) Buy Lonely Planet's Trekking in Nepal
(2) Do NOT book a guide/porter in advance. Wait until you get to Kat.
     Just walking around the Thamel section of Kat. and you'll see lots of hotels, and  trekking outfits offering their services. Bargain for the price.
That's what we did and it worked out fine. It's kind of like Mexico. Tell some guy you want to rent a donkey, a guide, or an umbrella   and the next day there will be one at you hotel. Hint: Have them include a ride to the trailhead in their package. It'll make things easier. Once you get to the trailhead you'll find you hardly need a guide/porter. Just follow the German girl in front of you. Kathamandu is polluted and chaotic, but once you get out of the city life is good.
Tip: Take the time to visit the ancient section of Kat called Bhaktapur. (You can get there by bus) It's great.
Have fun.
Rics in Wyoming

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 3
backpackeratnet Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2013, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

been to Nepal, did EBC base camp, if you plenty of time, wait till you reach kat and decide, if not book in advance. hundreds of outfits there to talk.
 Post Number: 4
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1. Get guidebooks ahead of time, if you can.  The best ones are not the Lonely Planet ones, but the Trailblazer series.  Trekking in the Everest Region, and Trekking in the Annapurna Region.

2. Maps. You can get those easily in bookstores in Kathmandu.  If you want them ahead of time, look for the Nepa Maps series for wherever you want to go.

3. Location.  There are 3 main trekking regions in Nepal.  Everest (Base Camp, Kala Pattar, Gokyo, Chukhung areas), Annapurna (Circuit, Base Camp, Poon Hill), and Langtang.

4. Season.  Annapurna's is usually mid-October through November.  Everest's is March to early May.  I recommend going on the edges of these seasons.  Do Everest in February into March, like I did.  Some snowy or icy trail, but not the crowds yet.  I returned to Lukla around March 5, and I was starting to see the increase in trekkers going up.  For Annapurna, start mid-November and go into December.  You'll have more elbow room there also.

5. Supplies.  Bring only your main equipment.  Most clothes and food can be bought in Kathmandu.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2013, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks guys! i do not like traveling/trekking alone! am looking at rei for group hikes(pretty expensive) any other group hikes in/out of u.s.? am looking at only 2 weeks total time of vacation. working full time! just have nepal/himalayas  on my "BUCKET LIST" for future hikes. what would you guys do within 2 weeks total time? fly:into what airport? quick trek. and fly back to u.s.? should i contact travel agency or trekking companies in u.s./nepal/etc..? thanks!
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For 2 weeks total vacation time, head for the Langtang area.  Not as huge an area as either Everest or Annapurna areas, but still beautiful.  I have a friend over there who is a guide who is from one of the villages in Langtang.  If you send me a private message with your email, I could get you his email address.  But, Langtang can be done in just a few days.  Everest takes a minimum of 2 weeks not counting air travel from over here.  You could do a few things in the Annapurna area with your timetable, such as Poon Hill, or possibly Base Camp.  Nepa Maps does have one of the Langtang area, because I just found mine.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks everyone! does anyone know of the best travel agency in the u.s. that deals with nepal/tibet/india? to do the trek?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2013, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Using a U.S. agency will cost you more than you need to pay.  Same thing with online websites in most cases.  Your total cost for the length of trip you are talking about should be a few hundred dollars, plus airfare over there.  This includes food and lodging in Kathmandu before and after your trek, transportation to and from the trek, and food/lodging/porter on the trek.  I'd evaluate anything over $1000 for just a 2-week-total trek.  With travel time to/from Nepal, you are talking a minimum of 3 days prior to actually trekking and 2-3 days after.  Your actual trekking time could be 6-8 days.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2013, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

burnfoot! sent a pm! hope you get it! if not!? i guess i can try again!? hope i am useing the site correctly!? thanks!
8 replies since Nov. 21 2013, 5:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply nepal
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions