2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dissertation Research, Research< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Rochelle Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 10:46 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi
I am a 3rd year student studying International Travel and Tourism Management and for my dissertation, it is about backpackers and their motivations for travelling. I will be posting up a questionnaire and would really appreciate if you could give me your views to help with my research.

Thank you
Rochelle
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 10:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Without even seeing your questionnaire I'll bet you're talking about European "backpacking" which isn't remotely similar to US backpacking.

How do I know you're in the wrong place? Because this site gets about 2 posts per month from Europe asking exactly the same things pretty in much the same question form.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi

I am doing backpacking internationally its not just in Europe.
 Post Number: 4
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The kind of backpacking people here do is where you hike into the wilderness and camp (overnight or several days), carrying everything (tent, sleeping bag, food, etc) on your back.

Is that what you're interested in, or is it more what Europeans think of as backpacking: traveling by foot,, train, etc, staying in hotels or hostels, etc.?
 Post Number: 5
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

European type "backpackers" are called "homeless people" in the United States.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't worry I have obviously offended you all so I shall get my research else where.
 Post Number: 7
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rochelle, Rochelle, It's aLong Way to Minsk:
Don't be so sensitive. But Lonewolf and CWeston are absolutely correct. There's a difference between American "Backpacking" and European "Backpacking".
Rics in Big Wyoming

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 8
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rochelle @ Dec. 12 2013, 10:58 am)

The "European" vs "American" isn't about the location/destination, it's about style/method.  Sort of like how the word "football" is interpreted in Europe vs the U.S.
If you're studying tourism, it's probably worth taking the time to understand the difference.

I think "trekking" is a closer word to American-style backpacking.  We don't really have a comparable word for European-style backpacking, mostly because public transportation for travel-purposes isn't a cheap or convenient method here.  The closest thing we have is the "road trip".

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is the definition of what backpacking is
A definition of backpacker tourists is, predominantly young self organised tourists who go on long multi destination journeys and have flexible itineraries. They are characterised by people who want to experience the local lifestyle, meet new people and whose recreational activities are likely to be based around culture, nature and adventure.

Is this different from the American definition?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rics @ Dec. 12 2013, 3:04 pm)
Rochelle, Rochelle, It's aLong Way to Minsk:
Don't be so sensitive. But Lonewolf and CWeston are absolutely correct. There's a difference between American "Backpacking" and European "Backpacking".
Rics in Big Wyoming

Its more like your the one being sensitive over the term backpacking.
All I came here for was to ask if you would be willing to help with my research but obviously I came to the wrong place to get help.
 Post Number: 11
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rochelle @ Dec. 16 2013, 9:56 am)
A definition of backpacker tourists is, predominantly young self organised tourists who go on long multi destination journeys and have flexible itineraries. They are characterised by people who want to experience the local lifestyle, meet new people and whose recreational activities are likely to be based around culture, nature and adventure.

Yes, completely different. Which is why, even in your definition, they felt the need to append the qualifier "tourists" to the word "backpacker". This site is focused on wilderness backpackers: people who go out into undeveloped backcountry for multiple days without support other than what they carry with them. As was mentioned in cweston's post above. http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....2384076

Plan "B"? If the site admin allows, post the survey. Like with anything else, tennis, lawn bowling, whatever, there's some probability there may be some people who visit the site that also tour in the manner you're interested in researching. So you'd get answers from them anyway.
 Post Number: 12
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All equipment, including food and clothing is packed in a backpack which is then carried by foot into wilderness and/or remote places on rough trails and sometimes no trails at all.
Food is prepared on a 1 burner stove or maybe over an open fire.
Sleeping is usually on the ground in a tent or maybe out in the open or in a hammock.
Wild animals such as bears, wolves and mountain lions are not in cages or behind bars but small critters like mice actually do more damage to gear.
Storms are weathered either in the tent or out in the open wearing protective rain gear.
Quite often other people will not be seen for several days. Those like me go out solo (alone) and try to avoid others.

There are no cafes to eat in or public transportation to travel on or hostels/inns to sleep in. Taking a bath usually means jumping in an ice cold stream.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 13
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rochelle @ Dec. 16 2013, 12:56 pm)

That definition would be the American definition of "European-style backpacking."   When we say "backpacking", without any qualifiers, we usually mean wilderness or backcountry backpacking.  

Sometimes, the type is understood by context, like when someone says "backpacking through Europe"; most of us would understand that to mean European-style backpacking.

If you want a discussion on *your* definition of backpacking with an American audience, I would recommend using the term "European-style backpacking" or maybe "backpacking tourism".

This forum is part of 'Backpacker' magazine website.  If you go to the website's home page and browse around, I think it will be much clearer what the focus is and why everyone is telling you that you're not in the right place for the information you're looking for.  Frankly, if you're doing "research", I would think you'd have done this first.  Imo, accusing people of not being helpful when you've chosen the wrong audience is going to make your research process an arduous one.  JMO.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 14
marwaremas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rochelle @ Dec. 12 2013, 11:31 am)
شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض شركة نظافة بالرياض تسليك مجارى تنظيف شقق بالرياض تنظيف موكيت بالرياض تنظيف مجالس بالرياض شركة تنظيف بالرياض شركة تسليك المجارى بالرياض شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض تنظيف بيوت بالرياض تنظيف خزانات بالرياض شركة عزل اسطح بالرياض شركة تنظيف بالخرج شركة رش مبيدات شركة رش مبيدات بالخرج عزل الاسطح شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض شركة تنظيف بيوت بالرياض شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج بالرياض شركة تنظيف بيارات بالرياض شركة تنظيف بالخرج شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياض نقل اثاث شركة تنظيف شركة تنظيف بالرياض شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض تنظيف بيوت بالرياض شركة تنظيف واجهات حجرية بالرياض شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياض نقل اثاث شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض شركة تخزين عفش بالرياض شركة نقل عفش بالرياض شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض شركة تنظيف بيوت بالرياض شركة تنظيف بيارات بالرياض شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض شركة عزل اسطح بالرياض شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج بالرياض شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض شركة ترميمات عامة بالرياض شركة تنظيف واجهات حجرية بالرياض شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض شركة تخزين عفش بالرياض نقل اثاث شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض شركة تخزين عفش بالرياض شركة نقل عفش بالرياض شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض شركة تنظيف بيوت بالرياض شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض شركة تنظيف بيارات بالرياض شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض شركة عزل اسطح بالرياض شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج بالرياض شركة ترميمات عامة بالرياض شركة تنظيف واجهات حجرية بالرياض شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياض شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض شركة تخزين عفش بالرياض شركة نقل عفش بالرياض شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض شركة تنظيف بيوت بالرياض شركة تنظيف بيارات بالرياض شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض شركة عزل اسطح بالرياض شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج بالرياض شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالخرج شركة تخزين اثاث بالخرج شركة نقل اثاث بالخرج شركة تخزين عفش بالخرج شركة نقل عفش بالخرج شركة تنظيف موكيت بالخرج شركة تنظيف مجالس بالخرج شركة تنظيف شقق بالخرج شركة تنظيف بيوت بالخرج شركة تنظيف منازل بالخرج شركة تنظيف بيارات بالخرج شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخرج شركة ترميمات عامة بالرياض شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض شركة عزل اسطح بالخرج شركة تنظيف خزانات بالخرج شركة تسليك مجاري بالخرج شركة رش مبيدات بالخرج شركة تنظيف بالخرج شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالخرج شركة تخزين اثاث بالخرج شركة نقل اثاث بالخرج شركة تخزين عفش بالخرج شركة نقل عفش بالخرج شركة تنظيف موكيت بالخرج شركة تنظيف مجالس بالخرج شركة تنظيف شقق بالخرج شركة تنظيف بيوت بالخرج شركة تنظيف منازل بالخرج شركة تنظيف بيارات بالخرج شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخرج شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض شركة عزل اسطح بالخرج شركة تنظيف خزانات بالخرج شركة تسليك مجاري بالخرج شركة رش مبيدات بالخرج
شركة تنظيف فلل بالخرج

Don't worry I have obviously offended you all so I shall get my research else
where.

Post Number: 15
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is interesting to see how great the cultural gulf is between North American backpacking and European backpacking.

The words don't seem to be capable of communicating the difference, it is just too foreign for international students to perceive or visualize what some crazy Americans do, venturing out into the wilderness on our own, with self contained gear and food.

And, it is not just Rochelle, we have seen this time after time, they can't seem to wrap their mind around the wilderness and independent exploring of the wilderness, versus walking tours with hostels, cafes and public transportation available.

A good lesson in how difficult it is to communicate new and different ideas, even to intelligent and inquisitive people who are looking for information!

What a species!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
14 replies since Dec. 12 2013, 10:46 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dissertation Research
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions